CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Just starting - recommend a GPS?
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Coin Sales  
Kettle Valley Railway
Kettle Valley Railway:  [?] . The Myra Canyon section of the Kettle Valley Railway was built between 1912 and 1914. It was part of a "Coast to Kootenay" railway line that linked Midway, in British Columbia's Boundary District, with the Canadian Pacific Railway main line at Hope. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Just starting - recommend a GPS?
toplefttopfilltopright
Just starting - recommend a GPS?
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
snowcache

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Just starting - recommend a GPS? Reply with quote

Any thoughts?
We are just starting out and are wondering if anyone has any suggestions about what the best GPS unit would be for us....... where would you recommend purchasing?
Do the GPS units like the Garmin Nuvi's that are meant for vehicles work well or should a handheld be used?
Thanks for you comments!
Cheers!
dloubert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Just starting - recommend a GPS? Reply with quote

A handheld unit would work best for caching.

Having owned both a Magellan and a Garmin, I would recommend a Garmin.
As for the model, it depends on your budget.
I own a Colorado and am totally happy with it. Touque Other cachers could comment on various models. Good Luck.....and Happy Holidays
Teddy2k

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Just starting - recommend a GPS? Reply with quote

My recommendation: get a Garmin Venture HC. It is geocaching friendly, has a nice color screen, has the ability to accept detailed topo maps and doesn't cost an arm and a leg ($161.95 right now at gpscity.ca). You could also try a Vista HCx, which adds an electronic compass, barometric altimeter and accepts MicroSD memory cards, but costs quite a bit more ($285.95 at gpscity.ca).

The nuvi 500 series is geocaching friendly and waterproof, but I haven't used one and can't vouch for its usefulness.

The reason that I recommend the Venture HC is because it was my first GPSr. I've since upgraded to a Colorado 300 and love it, but you'll be paying over $350 for it. I'm looking to sell my Venture HC right now in the SWAG forum, so check it out if you'd like to save a few more bucks.
goaliegirl38

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Just starting - recommend a GPS? Reply with quote

If you can afford it go for the Garmin Oregon. Worth every penny!
boomerangpapa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Just starting - recommend a GPS? Reply with quote

goaliegirl: how does the oregon do in the sunshine? is the screen really hard to read? i've been debating gettin gone but for the $500 bucks i wnat to make sure there isn't too many negative points! what would you say are the 3 worst aspects of the gps?! thanx in advance for your insight!
QuigleyJones

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Just starting - recommend a GPS? Reply with quote

My recommendation would depend on price range.

The Oregons screen is dull without the back light and touchscreens are hard to use with gloves on.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Just starting - recommend a GPS? Reply with quote

The screen is fine in the sunlight, dull at other times like in the car. I have mine set to half strength on the back light and it's fine. I have no problems using the touchscreen, even with gloves on! It takes a bit of getting used to navagating between the screens, the biggest drawback is you have to go back to the menu for everything you want to do, coming from my explorist where you could just cycle through the screens, this is a little frustrating. But, you can customize the menus and make life a little easier.
snowcache

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Just starting - recommend a GPS? Reply with quote

THANK YOU! for all your insight. I am looking to spend up to $300 or so, I am really leaning towards a Garmin, but there seem to be so many out there, what do you all use?
TheFindIts

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Just starting - recommend a GPS? Reply with quote

We have two Garmin GPSr's.
The 76CSx and the eTrex Legend HCx.
They both do a great job and the main difference is the electronic compass on the 76CSx, I got the Legend for $150 second hand and it is just fine.
I think Walmart has them on sale right now for about $180.
I think the 60CSx is just as good as the 76 just doesn't float, not a big deal unless you are out on the water.
MHO
G
QuigleyJones

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Just starting - recommend a GPS? Reply with quote

Id recommend the Legend HCx (maybe the Vista HCx if you do a lot of hiking).
Or the 60CSx if you buy used (Ive got one available Very Happy )

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Just starting - recommend a GPS? Reply with quote

When I got into the game I researched all the sites and calculated which model everyone was voting for the most and the garmin 60CSX won hands down. My wife and I started with a Legend HCX and then I got the 60CSX and find the 60CSX amazing for accuracy and signal strength. I know people who have Colorados and Oregans and they still go back to their 60csx's when in deep forested areas and having trouble.
Crowfoote

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Just starting - recommend a GPS? Reply with quote

I seem to be the only one using a megellin but I do not have mapblast to accompany it is there anyone else using a Magellin that can give me some aid and info I have the eXplorest500

Page 1 of 1