CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Event Caches Held at Pubs
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
More Roadside Attractions
More Roadside Attractions:  [?] . Caribou Sam in Cache Creek [M | C]  Largest Burr in Port McNeil [M | C]  The Peach in Penticton [M | C]  Smokey Bear in Revelstoke [M | C]  Orcas in Victoria [M | C]  Bathtub in Nanaimo [M | C]  Largest Cuckoo in Kimberley [M | C]  The Head in Revelstoke [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Event Caches Held at Pubs
toplefttopfilltopright
Event Caches Held at Pubs
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gearhedd

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Event Caches Held at Pubs Reply with quote

Sounds good, a little beer after a day of caching. Meet up with some caching friends ad talk about the day... Razz

But I was wondering how they meet the guidelines for an Event?
Events are open to all geocachers, but these are for the +19 age cachers.

I'm not against these "PUB" events at all. Just have had issues with events getting published that were viewed as not being open to all geocaches.
Guidelines are just that, just a guide.
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Event Caches Held at Pubs Reply with quote

I had an event at the Baselines Pub last year, we filled the place, had great food and a beer or two. I had no problem at all getting it approved. I think the guidelines are referring to where attending an event would be limited because of a fee or having to be a member of some other organization. (if you could only come if you were a BCGA Member to an Event would be a no-no). It is not your restriction on age, it's the establishments. If you had an event in a public park and said on your own accord 'only those 18 and over can attend' then that may not get approved.

I think events are held at pubs all the time, in some area's its 'every 3rd Wednesday' kind of thing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Event Caches Held at Pubs Reply with quote

I understand that it is the establishments rules, but then you are hosting an event that isn't open to all geocachers.
Plus not everyone drinks or some people choose not to drink and don't go to pubs....so the event wouldn't be for them either.

So explain why a pub event is ok, when it doesn't include ALL cachers and something like a poker game event wouldn't be ok, when it is open to everyone? (you aren't playing for money)
(please don't say that it is because not everyone likes to play poker, cause that just doesn't make sense as not everyone likes to go to the pub (ie....recovering alcoholics) )

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Event Caches Held at Pubs Reply with quote

Cacher Mach2003 speaking, not Director Mach2003.

You do not have to drink booze, just 'cause you go to a pub, they sell other tasty things too.

There are a lot of places folks don't want to go. The question is COULD most folks go?

As long as the main activity once there is geocaching related (not poker), then the event will likely be listed at GC.COM.
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Event Caches Held at Pubs Reply with quote

Bestred wrote:
Some people choose not to drink and don't go to pubs....
Then the cacher should not attend the event. Its the cachers choice, not the responsibility of someone hosting an event, of any type or at any location to cater to everybody's tastes. If all events had to cater to everybody's tastes, then what would be the point of having one? They would be the same as all the other ones before and after.

Pub's have food, coffee, soda, juice etc. Its about the meeting and talking, having a beer or glass of wine is just an option, in a different environment.

Bestred wrote:
So explain why a pub event is ok, when it doesn't include ALL cachers and something like a poker game event wouldn't be ok, when it is open to everyone?
I think my post was an attempt to explain as I see it, I'm not an approver. A great number of events are in pubs.

The rules are based around that an event should be Geocaching focused, and not an add-on to some other event, or be focused on some other competing skill/sport/activity.

Geocaching has to in the eyes of the approver, be the #1 focus of an event. I can only GUESS that the powers that be thought the event was more about poker, than geocaching.

Capital 'A' ALL or just 'all'. I believe that if an event is geocaching focused, then 'all' cachers that legally can go, can make a choice to go. It's not that absolutely every cacher out there can go.

There are many reasons morally, religious or otherwise a person might feel an event excludes them, but the events are not put on to purposely exclude those people. A pub is a place for 'all' adult geocahers to go chat. Obviously that appeals to a lot of cachers, or it would not happen so often.

Bestred wrote:
cause that just doesn't make sense as not everyone likes to go to the pub(ie....recovering alcoholics) )
The same logic could be said for people with gambling problems and a poker event. If it's an event is not to ones taste, then don't attend.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Event Caches Held at Pubs Reply with quote

CB has the right answers; different events suit different peoples likes and abilities.

Should a 4X4 event be allowed? Not every one has a 4X4 so not every one can attend

Should a car rally be allowed? Not everyone has a car so not every one can attend

Should a hiking event be allowed (example Stoyama)? Not everyone can hike up the mountains so not everyone can attend. (I can't and didn't)

Fact of life is that we have many different people involved in this hobby with different tastes and abilities. Just because a person doesn't want to/can't attend an event doesn't mean they are actively excluded.
For example, I don't play poker, think it's a waste of time, and I chose not to attend the event. Doesn't mean that they shouldn't have had it if I can't play poker.

As CB said, you pick and choose what you want to attend, your choice. If you don't like the event being held that day, go caching! Smile

Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Event Caches Held at Pubs Reply with quote

We occasionally have 'Ladies Only' events here on the South Island that are for ladies and their daughters (if appropriate). In February we're having a Ladies Only Death by Chocolate Event!
Mach2003dead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: Event Caches Held at Pubs Reply with quote

Mrs_Landsharkz wrote:
We occasionally have 'Ladies Only' events here on the South Island that are for ladies and their daughters (if appropriate). In February we're having a Ladies Only Death by Chocolate Event!

Ok that is enough! Sexist geocaching events will have to be stopped right now! I can accept a bunch of drunks, and even gamblers, but Ladies only is way over the line. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

And what if these ladies meet at a pub, and play cards too? Oh what is the caching world comming to? Rolling Eyes
Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: Event Caches Held at Pubs Reply with quote

Mach2003 wrote:
Mrs_Landsharkz wrote:

Ok that is enough! Sexist geocaching events will have to be stopped right now! I can accept a bunch of drunks, and even gamblers, but Ladies only is way over the line. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

And what if these ladies meet at a pub, and play cards too? Oh what is the caching world comming to? Rolling Eyes

Chris was going to host a Guys Only event but figured it would turn into a bunch of clowns getting drunk and playing cards, so he thought better of it Wink .
geodug

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: Event Caches Held at Pubs Reply with quote

Mrs_Landsharkz wrote:
Chris was going to host a Guys Only event but figured it would turn into a bunch of clowns getting drunk and playing cards, so he thought better of it Wink .

I'm not sure I understand the problem
tjguy98

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: Event Caches Held at Pubs Reply with quote

gearhedd wrote:
Sounds good, a little beer after a day of caching. Meet up with some caching friends ad talk about the day... Razz

But I was wondering how they meet the guidelines for an Event?
Events are open to all geocachers, but these are for the +19 age cachers.

I'm not against these "PUB" events at all. Just have had issues with events getting published that were viewed as not being open to all geocaches.
Guidelines are just that, just a guide.

Getting this thread back on track in the spirit of the original post..

I think the basic question here is "who decides what's an acceptable event and what's not"?
The answer is; GC.com has the final say, and it's our local approver who uses his or her judgment to decide whether of not an event falls within the spirit of the guidelines.

Occasionally some of the events may fall within the grey area of the guidelines and the approver will use their best judgement to approve or deny the request. During the course of the year there are bound to be some decisions made by the approver that people will not agree with...that's life...

This thread harkens back to Gearhedds poker event that was turned down in it's original format, and was only approved when Gearhedd changed it to move away from the "poker" content as the main reason for the event.

When you get into the grey area of the guidelines, you're bound to get a split vote where half the crowd agrees and half doesn't. And next time there is a similar type of event it might seem in your eyes that your event was just as questionable as the new event, but it got approved and yours didn't.

In the approver's eyes there may have been a slight difference that made their decsion fall the other way.
The approver's have a tough role to play; they have to play the parent role to us cachers and decide what's in our best interests....doesn't mean we always agree with our parents! Smile

[Post Moderated]
scruffster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: Event Caches Held at Pubs Reply with quote

I hosted a pub event and had no problem with approval. A pub night here is open to everyone in BC as long as they're 19 or older. Some pubs have a restaurant area where kids are allowed. With my boyish good looks I am amazed I squeak by the bouncer. **snarfle**

On the same topic but a slightly other note I am wondering if the poker theme was the only thing that caused the event not to be approved.

Question: Does the number of people allowed at the event have anything to do with approval? I seem to recall that Gearhedd's event had a limited number of people/poker tables. The reason why this concerns me is we had a limited number of cars at the car rally. Luckily, the twenty cars allowed held everyone that wanted to partake in the event. Nobody was turned away. However, I wonder if such events are limited to 50 or 30 people in total might sway approvers not to approve the event. I didn't see anything in the rules about it. Has anyone had an event turned down because they posted that only a certain amount of people can attend?
bcrockcrawler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Event Caches Held at Pubs Reply with quote

scruffster wrote:

Question: Does the number of people allowed at the event have anything to do with approval? I seem to recall that Gearhedd's event had a limited number of people/poker tables. The reason why this concerns me is we had a limited number of cars at the car rally. Luckily, the twenty cars allowed held everyone that wanted to partake in the event. Nobody was turned away. However, I wonder if such events are limited to 50 or 30 people in total might sway approvers not to approve the event. I didn't see anything in the rules about it. Has anyone had an event turned down because they posted that only a certain amount of people can attend?

This event, www.geocaching.com/see...9c83119b14 although it is a CITO,
Limits both age and number of people that can attend and has been approved 6 times. I think if it is an issue, it may be looked at on an event by event basis.
I think this is just an extension of caches in general. Not everybody will do a 5 - 5 cache for various reasons. One of them may be that they are physically unable to do it. But this should not mean that there should not be any 5 - 5 caches because not every cacher can do it.

This is a Personal Opinion as a Cacher and not as a BCGA Director...

Don't ya just love the fine print!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Event Caches Held at Pubs Reply with quote

Oh oh....my post got edited by the powers above; I bet you I have a note from the principal waiting in my email at home...

"but it wasn't me who wrote that"! Surprised

gearhedd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Event Caches Held at Pubs Reply with quote

A limited number of cachers allowed. Is not a reason my event was not allowed to go as planned. I understand you have limits to the room you book, or your house and so on.

The guidelines for Events. states at the beginning "Event caches are gatherings that are open to all geocachers and which are organized by geocachers" open to ALL GEOCACHERS.

I have no prob with the way approval happens, Mtn Man has explained and has given me every chance to change caches in order to get approved. And agree that my poker event was not a geocaching event.
However no poker player other then a cacher that plays poker would have been interested in this tournament. I did have poker after my meet and greet and it was fun. Had I been able to display my event as a poker event, I think there would have been a bigger responce. Still plan on holding a tournament annually after an event.
Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Event Caches Held at Pubs Reply with quote

Gearhedd - you just hit on a note - how do we get things out to people when we can't post all the info for an event due to guidelines to let them know of additional activities that may occur at the event that may encourage them to go..

Well I've been playing with an idea and will be working on a rough draft over the weekend of a newsletter to send out once a month to members to tell them:

1. What the BCGA is up to
2. Items that are under review (such as changes to by-laws)
3. Events that are up and coming and
4. Share special celebrations with others (births, marriages, caching milestones)
5. Ask for specific feedback (eg We are planning a kids event what would you like to see)

I've done this for my offices I've ran as well as in my current job -

Do you think that you would find something like this helpful as an event planner/cacher and would you enjoy receiving this?

Just curious
Bestred

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Event Caches Held at Pubs Reply with quote

Kris.......
I am so 'in' on that idea!!!!! I love it!

All others.....
I wanted to clarify....never once did I say that I was worried about people being excluded...I am not sure where that idea came from. If it was mis-read, then I apologise.
I was wondering why something (like poker) that supposedly isn't interesting enough for all cachers not ok, when something like a pub night is. Because it is a Geocaching Meet n Greet???? Somethng like a game of poker could be considered the same thing, considering the prizes are coins and there are draws etc.

so what would be the way to post the event for a poker 'meet n greet' to get it approved?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Event Caches Held at Pubs Reply with quote

scruffster wrote:

On the same topic but a slightly other note I am wondering if the poker theme was the only thing that caused the event not to be approved.

My poker run event was allowed, and it was a poker related car rally limited to 20 teams of 2. I think only our mtn man knows the exact reason why he dose or dose not approve these events. All we can do is ask him before we go through the work of planning it. Two Cents
gotlost001

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Event Caches Held at Pubs Reply with quote

gearhedd wrote:
I did have poker after my meet and greet and it was fun. Had I been able to display my event as a poker event, I think there would have been a bigger responce. Still plan on holding a tournament annually after an event.
Yes you will, it can be after the 2009 poker run! Nut
gearhedd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Event Caches Held at Pubs Reply with quote

yes, I was thinking that myself Gotlost001

and I did up using the BCGA forums to post that poker would be played.
But a news letter would be good. emailed news letter or snail mail.

other then that looks like this post has found an end. Thanks
goaliegirl38

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Event Caches Held at Pubs Reply with quote

gearhedd wrote:

I have no prob with the way approval happens, Mtn Man has explained and has given me every chance to change caches in order to get approved. And agree that my poker event was not a geocaching event.
However no poker player other then a cacher that plays poker would have been interested in this tournament. I did have poker after my meet and greet and it was fun. Had I been able to display my event as a poker event, I think there would have been a bigger responce. Still plan on holding a tournament annually after an event.

FYI: Even at GeoWoodstock VI the GeoCoin poker was not a separate event, it was included in the activities of the main event day. Those that wished to participate pre-registered on a forum and then participated during the scheduled time. From what I saw it worked great and was a success!
MaliBooBoo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Event Caches Held at Pubs Reply with quote

gearhedd,

It seems like it is possible to have a Poker only event. At least sometimes. Check out GC1J40T.

I still think combining poker with caching at an event is a really good idea.

Craig
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1