CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» I've got an idea!
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Urban wildlife in B.C.
Urban wildlife in B.C.:  [?] . Wildlife big and small, urban and remote abound throughout B.C., even Skunks! [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Caching Containers
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» I've got an idea!
toplefttopfilltopright
I've got an idea!
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CAMOKELLY

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: I've got an idea! Reply with quote

gotlost001 wrote:
msthebrain and pinky wrote:
I object to any cache That is hard to find and has a useless hint examples of this include but are not limited to.

"where would you put it"
"In a obvious spot"
"not yet"
or my favorite
"do you really need one"
If your going to give a hint make it relevant please
I agree, I also hate hints that are scrambled even after they have been decoded. If I go through the effort of decoding it then I want a hint. Rolling Eyes

I am starting to agree with both of the above statements. This is my first fall/winter caching season and it is getting harder to enjoy caching for the challenging to find ones or others with little or no hints. Don't get me wrong I don't mind a good challenge now and then. Especially some of the ones I had during this summer. They don't seem to be so bad when it is nice out and I have allot of daylight and time to search them out. But at this time of year the days are shorter, the weather crappier, and the chance for environmental damage increases dramatically. I must admit I was one of the ones who liked to put vague hints on my caches to make it harder to find. Now that I have thought about it and through my caching experiences lately I have began to see the light.

One thing I have taken upon myself to do was to go back and change all the hints on every one of my caches. I have adjusted the hint to basically lead the person straight to the cache. I have put allot of thought into this and figure if a person wants a challenge then they simply try to find the cache without the hint. If they are having too much trouble finding it the hint should be good enough to lead them right to the cache. This is not only to make it easier for everyone but also would make thrashing and stomping of the area a thing of the past. Who will join me?

So who agree's with me and will join me? Another thought I had was to make this idea a seasonal thing. Adjust your hints in the fall/winter to lead the cacher straight to the cache and in the spring/summer change them back to recreate the challenge of finding it. This way we can assure a better environment around the cache in each season.

I look forward to your thoughts and replies.

TESKELLY
CAMOKELLY

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: iv'e got an idea! Reply with quote

doggy doo I just noticed I can't go back and edit my post as I messed up the title oh well i'm sure you will all get a kick out of it.

Cheers,

TESKELLY
gotlost001

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: iv'e got an idea! Reply with quote

Yes, that is a good idea, I think a good hint when GPS coverage is poor, and environmental damage is highly possible can save frustration for the cacher if they CHOOSE to use the hint. I usually try without the hint first, then use it if I am concerned about the cache being in an area that doesn't make sense ie. in a flower bed, or off a trail in a sensitive area. As mentioned above why give a hint for some one to spend time decrypting and then they find it useless like "not this time" or my favorite "emitsihtton" One last beef, why hide a micro in a stump that can hold an ammo can? Hint or no hint it is a waste of a cache. It is fun to be off on a trail away from muggles and look through a pile of swag and read the notes in the log book. Some times it is nice to "stop and smell the roses" enjoy the thrill of the find as much as the hunt.
Thanks Kelly for starting this discussion. I love the idea! Very Happy
CAMOKELLY

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: iv'e got an idea! Reply with quote

TESKELLY wrote:
doggy doo I just noticed I can't go back and edit my post as I messed up the title oh well i'm sure you will all get a kick out of it.

Cheers,

TESKELLY

Oh you mods are funny people hee hee. Smile I didn't use the word Doggy Doo someone changed it to tease me. Rolling Eyes And no it wasn't the other word either. Twisted Evil What silly fun that makes me smile Very Happy
scruffster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: iv'e got an idea! Reply with quote

Actually, the forums do that automatically. You should see what you get when you really try to say something bad. **teehee** You just might inadvertently tell the geocaching public that you're a cross dresser.

As much as I like to be able to find caches, the whole idea of caching for me is the challenge. When most people hide a cache, they don't do it to make it easy. Quite the opposite is true. They want to (excuse the pun) stump the finder. If all caches were easy I think I'd stop geocaching.
CAMOKELLY

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: iv'e got an idea! Reply with quote

I agree with you there. I don't ever make my hide itself easy. I try to find the cleverest and most challenging spot to hide it. I just feel that my hint shouldn't be the same. That way it is a total cahllenge to find the cache without the hint but easy to find with it.
gearhedd

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: iv'e got an idea! Reply with quote

THE EXAMPLE OF HINTS LOOKS LIKE THE EASY FINDS ANYWAYS, CACHE "STUMPED" THE HINT "WHERE DO YOU THINK" COME ON MOST THE TIME THAT IS WHY PEOPLE LEAVE LAME HINTS, THEY AREN'T NEEDED.

I HAVE CACHE WITH WHAT I CALL CLEAVE HINT AND MOST THE TIME EVEN AFTER THE CACHER HAS FOUND THE CACHE THEY CAN'T FIGURE OUT THE HINT. THAT'S NOT MY FAULT AS AN OWNER OF A CACHE THAT IS MY CHOSE.

I DON'T LIKE HINTS THAT ARE DECEAVING "LOOK LOW" WHEN CACHE IS HIGH. BUT KNOWING THAT SOME DO THIS I STILL LOOK HIGH.

TO SAY CACHES DON'T LOOK AT THE HINT BEFORE THE NEED THE HINT WOULD BE WRONG, AND THAT IS WHY THERE ARE HINTS THAT ARE LAME SHALL WE SAY.

HIGH MUGGLE AREAS COULD USE GOOD HINTS IN OREDER TO GET IN AND OUT FAST.

AS WELL AREAS THAT COULD SEE DESTRUCTION DO TO SEARCHING, COULD USE A BETTER HINT OR MORE INSTRUCTION ON CACHE PAGE.

MOST CACHE OWNERS WILL GIVE A BETTER HINT TO THOSE HARD TO FIND CACHES AFTER A DNF IS POSTED, IF NONE ARE EVER POSTED I WOULD THINK THE COORDS ARE DEAD ON, THE HINT IS GOOD, OR EASY FIND. THAT IS MY 2 MAYBE 10 CENTS WORTH RANT LOL
loungelions

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: iv'e got an idea! Reply with quote

That might be a good idea. If someone doesn't want to leave a hint to make it harder, then don't put anything in the hint-just leave it blank. I would rather not have a hint than have a useless one, especially when you are standing in the pouring rain. At least make the hint helpful if someone is going to have to make the effort to translate it.
Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: iv'e got an idea! Reply with quote

I think I've taken hints to a fun level.. lol for our one figured it was too long to type out so litteraly put "dial a hint - 961-5833" and put a recorded "dial a hint message" on my cell phone for it..

I know people are DNFing on it and not posting - the point was to finally hide it good as we lost 2 other caches in the same park.. and well it's the closest to our house I only ask if people call they leave a message that they called so I know who it is.. he he
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: iv'e got an idea! Reply with quote

Please turn the CAPS OFF... Its hard to read, and considered yelling in webicate.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: iv'e got an idea! Reply with quote

loungelions wrote:
That might be a good idea. If someone doesn't want to leave a hint to make it harder, then don't put anything in the hint-just leave it blank. I would rather not have a hint than have a useless one, especially when you are standing in the pouring rain. At least make the hint helpful if someone is going to have to make the effort to translate it.
This was my point exactly. I am not saying give me a hint that is a dead giveaway so that every cache is a difficulty of 1. Lets not forget that there is a rating system for caches, and if you hide a micro cache in a forest with no hint and a difficulty rating of 1 give a good hint. If you hide the same cache with no hint rate it a 2 or 3.
cartguy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: iv'e got an idea! Reply with quote

Maybe I shouldn't post on this as I havn't hid a cache yet but I do have a couple ready to go when I find the right spot. But so far I agree with everyone so far. A couple weeks back we were caching on the Island in an area with the GPS bouncing off the wall. Bellarama says check the clue "keep looking it's there" nothing more furstrating than that. Happen to us twice that day.
Bestred

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: iv'e got an idea! Reply with quote

I have to say that I agree with this post as a few of my caches (series), I am getting complaints that the area is getting disturbed because of cachers, and the area is really nice.
I do think as well that the weather has a bit to do with it, as it has rained since I had placed the caches....heck even on the day I placed the caches. And it did take almost a month to have them published.

Anyhow, someone did offer an addition to my hint (thanks Very Happy ) and it was a good one, and I should have thought of it...lol

Silly hints that make no sense (eg. not yet, do you need one?) are just playing with the cacher's mind, and I agree, why post a hint if it really doesn't mean anything??

For the winter caching season while the rain is falling, leaves are covering the ground and the snow is piling high (in some areas) the hints should be more revealing.
I understand that caching is all about the search, but not all cachers read the hint before they cache. That is their way of getting the full challenge. I know for a fact that TESKELLY is one of those cachers...as I am always asking for the hint first and he won't look until he feels that he looked enough and needs the hint to find the cache.

If someone comes along a cache that they feel the hint could be better, maybe they could do what that person did for me...put in the log something that could go along with the hint (an addition), but stated in a tactful way.

I have been lucky as most of my clues so far have been easy ones, but I am sure I can upgrade somewhere Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1