CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Georalley & Cache idea
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Maple Ridge
Maple Ridge:  [?] . A ranch in Maple Ridge with the Golden Ears peaks in behind. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Caching Containers
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Georalley & Cache idea
topleft topfill topright
LOG-IN DIFFICULTIES
Please be advised that we are currently having problems with some of our users not being able to log into the site. We apologize for this, we are working to address the situation. Thank you for your patience

Thank You
BCGA Executive

toplefttopfilltopright
Georalley & Cache idea
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Georalley & Cache idea Reply with quote

We're well into the planning stages for our May event - it's got it's own website and lots of people are starting to confirm.

We're also looking at a few more events next year. 2 I'm keeping under wraps - but want to get an opinion on this one and if people would be interested:

Geo Ralley - would take you from Hope to Lytton to Ashcroft to Kamloops to merritt then back to Hope. Would be open to about 10 teams - 5 going one way the other 5 going the other way.

A one day event held in either late August or beginning of September (hey gas was 78.5 in Hope the other day)

The other idea we had(and no one steal this please) was we have the hardest cache in BC - claim one of each grid type - but what about 2 that are harder??

One would be to place a cache that fits into each of the gird types (and no liar's caches they must truly qualify as we may likely be going to them) and another one that would require you to fill both the claimed and placed to get??
Bestred

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Georalley & Cache idea Reply with quote

The georally sounds awesome!!!!

As for the other idea...can you explain to me what you mean? I have an idea, just wanna make sure I am on the right track!

Things are looking good for May!!! Keep up the great work! Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Georalley & Cache idea Reply with quote

This might be a better time of year for us. Would this be off-hwy or all on-hwy? We'd prefer to do an predominately off-road route - gravel or worse, but not paved highways all day long. Is that possible?
Mrs. LS
Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Georalley & Cache idea Reply with quote

We're the turtles - need that even be asked.. lol

We'd like to keep people off the pavment and on the main FSR's - we ran across some amazing locations just off the beaten track - of course it can't be helped to spend some time on pavent but not a lot.

We haven't fully scoped out a route yet, wind was a bit chilly this weekend when we out to explore things (and it was dark by the time we got to Ashcroft)

Being that there are so many miles we have to be very selective with the route and caches or people will be out for 18 hours - oh wait we're cachers we do that.. lol it about the fun not the winning..maybe we could make it a goal to be done in 18 hours.. and burgers and beer will be waiting

We could do a couple of routes - will depend on the feedback we get and who wants to participate and what kind of vehicles they have. Right now just throwing ideas out there. Amazing how much brain storming you do when you're planning a big event.. lol all these other ideas pop in your head

(oh yes and being passed by rally cars on our way to Ashcroft on Friday night kind of helped as well.. lol)

And for Dustanne - for the other idea -

There is a thing in geocaching called "the grid" (ok I call it the grid) and the goal normally is for claiming caches - which means you have to fill out every terrian & difficulty rating there is - All together there are 81 combinations. We seem to have challenges in BC finding certain combinations. I haven't ever seen a cache about placing caches

So I propose to place a cache that you can only claim if you have placed caches that fill in all 81 of those grids - however the caches must truly fit into those descriptions. So to be eligible for a 5 terrain - it must truly require a 5 terrain.

And then I propose to place a 2nd cache that in order to claim you must have claimed legacy pac's cache for claiming the caches and our cache for placing the caches.

Hoping this will encourage people to get out there and place some higher terrain caches that truly are challenging. (4x4 caches please!! hint hint.. lol) Caches that truly challenge people - both mentally and physically
goaliegirl38

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Georalley & Cache idea Reply with quote

I love the georally idea! A great excuse for us city folk to get off the beaten path! If I can find a ride, I'm in!

The cache idea sounds like quite the challenge!
Bestred

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Georalley & Cache idea Reply with quote

Thanks Kris, I had thought that was what you were talking about. I remember on the way to Stoyoma we had talked about the grid.
That would be a challenge for sure. It sounds neat, but would it be allowed? As all cachers are not able to place 5/5 caches and therefore wouldn't be able to go for your cache? I know of a specific rule when hosting an event, but am not sure of one for caches.

The idea is really neat and for sure sounds like fun. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Georalley & Cache idea Reply with quote

I love the the georally idea I love to explore off the beaten path. was thinking of doing a cache machine up here this summer but gas prices were horrible. I'd drive down for that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1