CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» iPhone / Blackberry
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Atlin Lake
Atlin Lake:  [?] . Snow Caves of Atlin Lake [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Worldcaching.com
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» iPhone / Blackberry
toplefttopfilltopright
iPhone / Blackberry
Have question about how to use your GPS, hide a cache or solve a problem, let the local experts try to help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gecko Cacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: iPhone / Blackberry Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

Is anyone using a device such as an iPhone or Blackberry to get cache alerts while out caching? RVTraveller and I tend to be out trekking around for several hours and would like to know if new caches happen to become active while on a walk about.

If so, how the heck do they work? Do you get an email notification like on a desktop and then you access the browser to see the info on geocaching.com?

Thanks in advance

RCTP

geocachinggecko.blogspot.com/
Mach2003dead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: iPhone / Blackberry Reply with quote

We get emal on the cell phone (windows Mobile device). The bcga alerts come with coordinates, so it's easy to see if they are close enough to interest us at the time. If we want to use the browser to look up new caches, and even download the GPX file, then we will.

Be wary that cell phone data can get real expensive if you do not subsribe to a plan that is large enough for your use.
Gecko Cacher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: iPhone / Blackberry Reply with quote

Thanks Mach2003,

Because we can use the device for work applications as well I think we will be looking at an unlimited plan of some sort to avoid those additional minute charges.

Once again thanks for the info.

RCTP

Mach2003dead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: iPhone / Blackberry Reply with quote

You are welcome.

Ours also contains cachemate, and Garmin Mobile XT (using a bluetooth gpx), as well as the normal business applications. We also have two iPhones in the family, and although there is a Groundspeak application for the iPhone, the phone does not support all the other goodies we use.

Rogers has a 6 GB (6000 mb, 6000000 kb) data plan for $30 a month, not unlimited, but close to it.
5KingCachers

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: iPhone / Blackberry Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a blackberry and love it. I get my cache updates via email I check to see how close they are then I use a app called Blackstar a free app which is nice and it shows me via mapquest where the cache is. I just love it. Ideally I would carry my GPS with me where ever I go but I just don't so I use my blackberry when need be. Very Happy

5KingCachers Crown
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: iPhone / Blackberry Reply with quote

Im going for an Android phone in the spring. Even Groundspeak is developing an android geocaching application.

Telus will be carrying the Droid phone, plus many others coming out.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: iPhone / Blackberry Reply with quote

_canadianbacon_ wrote:
Im going for an Android phone in the spring. Even Groundspeak is developing an android geocaching application.

Telus will be carrying the Droid phone, plus many others coming out.

I can see it now "Introducing the new special edition Android C3PO or R2D2 from Telus. Lightsaber not included" Jester

Teddy2k

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: iPhone / Blackberry Reply with quote

I LOVE my new HTC Hero, which runs Android. I was very excited yesterday when Groundspeak announced that they are developing an official Android app.

By the way, weren't you going to take a peek at my phone at the AGM, CB??
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: iPhone / Blackberry Reply with quote

Yeh, I know.. but because I was Doug that day, I had to pretend I was an iPhone Guy.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: iPhone / Blackberry Reply with quote

LOL!!
Chewy_06

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: iPhone / Blackberry Reply with quote

I have an iPhone with the 6Gb data plan. I'm a premium groundspeak member & the alerts come out from them as the caches get released by email. My phone is set to data push, so when there's new email it goes through to the phone (with a nice "bing" sound effect).

If getting the occasional FTF is important to you, it's helpful, the groundspeak emails seem to come at least a few minutes earlier than the BCGA ones. They don't include coordinates though, although they do include distance & compass point bearing from your home coordinates, so it is useful to tell whether they're close enough to worry about.

I cheat a little, I have two notifications set up on groundspeak - one with a very wide radius, which is useful to let me know when the mtn-man is publishing. There's a second one that is set for a much smaller radius to capture the ones that I'll typically have a fighting chance at FTF on. It's useful to know when the publishing is happening - and when I see two nearly identical email's show up simultaneously, I know it's a new cache that's very close.

On the data side, I have a 60Cx - so I don't have a very large amount of cache data with me in the GPS. If it's not a quick find, I'll turn to air sharing in the phone for offline cache info that I upload in HTML from GSAK (because this takes a fair while to do, I don't refresh it very often - about every 6 weeks or so). If that still doesnt help, then i'll use the web and go look at the live cache page.

Hope it helps
Cyclepath_Cacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: iPhone / Blackberry Reply with quote

Is there any way a person could use the bluetooth to send new caches directly to the GPSr? (or hard wire) I do not want to pay for the GPS app. when I already have an expensive GPSr. It get's a wee bit expensive having BB's with unlimited internet plans and monthly app. payments on top of that.
Any suggestions?
Sheesh695

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: iPhone / Blackberry Reply with quote

My regular cell phone is about to bite the dust and I can't decide whether to replace it with an iphone or a blackberry...I use Telus as my provider.I realize that things change quickly with the new phones but what do you think? I would like to be able to use it with a geocaching app but I already have an oregon gps so what do I actually need to buy? Please help !!

A crazy bitch who WILL find you ...lol
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: iPhone / Blackberry Reply with quote

Android.. Though I'd get the Galaxy S from Bell.
www.bell.ca/shopping/S...310_TM_ALL
Fellow at works has one and it's amazing. I will go that way when my contract is up.

There are a few at Telus also, just get one with Android 2.1 or higher.
www.telusmobility.com/...ndex.shtml

Technology wise the newer Android phones are superior to an iPhone, (only slightly), but if you need access to 200K Apps, then the iPhone is good for you. There is pretty much something on the Android Market that will do what you need probably.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: iPhone / Blackberry Reply with quote

Does the BCGA still send out notifications of new caches?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: iPhone / Blackberry Reply with quote

Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat wrote:
Does the BCGA still send out notifications of new caches?
Not in real time. Only 1 day later, a summary. And with no details. It directs to groundspeak for details.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?
Page 1 of 1