CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Caching on November 11th
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Rogers Pass Cenotaph
Rogers Pass Cenotaph:  [?] . The Rogers Pass Cenotaph is dedicated to the completion of the Trans Canada Highway on September 3, 1962. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Caching on November 11th
toplefttopfilltopright
Caching on November 11th
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bcrockcrawler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Caching on November 11th Reply with quote

We went caching today in the afternoon and I found myself thinking about the irony of using technology for a sport in a great and free country such as ours while that same technology may have been used during the same period by some Canadian soldiers putting them selves in harms way in Afghanistan.

We are forever thankful to the men and women who have paid the ultimate sacrifice in the past and those who today are willing to do the same so that we may enjoy the freedoms we have.
scruffster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: Caching on November 11th Reply with quote

Sometimes I go downtown to see the parades on Rememberance Day. But today I met the Turtles to help them out with a few caches. There was mention of those that died so we could cache. And it wasn't really a joke. It was a moment of reflection.

Some people asked me why I chose a skunk of all things as my avitar. Why is the skunk so much part of Scruffster's personna? It stems from the years before geocaching...

My Grandfather was in both World Wars. He lied about his age (too young) for WWI and lied about his age (too old) for WWII. But he truly believed in duty.

During WWI somewhere in Belgium he was caught and was thrown into a prison cell with a "frenchman". It was custom to make sure that mixed nationalities were put together in prison cells as the lack of communication would hinder plans of escape. Over several months my grandfather learned a bit of French while his cellmate learned a bit of English. They became great friends in their suffering and began to plan an escape. And that they did. Managing to subdue a German guard they made it out of the building and out into the yard. After jumping several barbed wire fences my Grandfather's roomate was free. Unfortunately, my grandfather was shot through the mouth and was recaptured.

The two cellmates remained friends for the rest of their lives. Grandpa's injuries from the two wars hindered him from holding a good job but his cellmate became a very popular singer in France, and later, America. His name is Maurice Chivalier. Later in Chivalier's life he was lampooned by Warner Brothers as the lovesick cartoon skunk named Pepe Le Pew.

I always had a good relationship with my grandfather although distance seperated us from seeing each other often. In my semi-punk rock years my grandfather died. It was then I took up the skunk persona. It fit well with the teenage angst while still having a link with those two men that suffered for our freedoms all that time ago.

What if things were different? What if Maurice Chivalier and Grandpa were never cellmates? What if grandpa didn't let Maurice go over the fence first? There may have never been a singer, a Pepe Le Pew, or a Scruffster.
vnm747

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Caching on November 11th Reply with quote

Remembrance Day has become more personal for me. My niece is early in her career with the Canadian Forces, a graduate of RMC, and now undergoing further training in Cornwall at CFSACO. I worry about the day she is sent into active duty. I hope that day never comes but all we can do is face the reality and deal with it. And not forget.
Technic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Caching on November 11th Reply with quote

I have participated in the Remembrance Day ceremonies and parade for many years. I have planned before hand to participate in the events for days prior to the actual day of the ceremonies and parade.
I think that once the ceremonies and parade are over, what better way is there to remember the Veterans than to be out on the trail, with Mother Nature, remembering what the morning's exercise's were all about.
God bless all the Veterans, living and deceased, who helped make our Country what it is today.
TheFindIts

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Caching on November 11th Reply with quote

We planned on caching on Remembrance Day on purpose.
After we had a moment of silence at the 11th hour my two little girls and I discussed why we are thankful for all the people who risked and gave their lives so others could live free. We talked about my Grandfather, who after being wounded in Italy during a battle in which he lost many of his friends, came home and made sure he honoured their memories by telling his children and grandchildren about those people and the hardships they faced.

We went out and completed our 100th cache and then proceeded to find a newer cache to help move a very important coin which we picked up at the WWFM in Parksville. It was a memorial coin for Pte David Robert James Byers who was killed in Afghanistan doing what brave people do every day, laying down their lives so others can live in relative safety.

We spent at least ten minutes at the cache talking about why it was important to remember these people evryday and thank them for everything they do.

We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.
landsharkz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Caching on November 11th Reply with quote

TheFindIts wrote:

We went out and completed our 100th cache and then proceeded to find a newer cache to help move a very important coin which we picked up at the WWFM in Parksville. It was a memorial coin for Pte David Robert James Byers who was killed in Afghanistan doing what brave people do every day, laying down their lives so others can live in relative safety.

We spent at least ten minutes at the cache talking about why it was important to remember these people evryday and thank them for everything they do.

We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.
We have a son who is training to be a pilot with the CF and ever since I can remember Remembrance Day has been a very important day for generations of our family. We spent many years at the Cenotaph with parents and grandparents when I was little and then we accompanied our son when he was an Air Cadet. Now we go and remember those that have laid down their lives so that we can live in peace and so that our son can follow his dream.
We have had a watch on that coin ever since it arrived on the west coast - if it's possible, could it make it to the BCGA AGM in a few weeks. We won't bring it back to the island, but we'd at least like to see it and discover it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1