CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» What do visiting cachers think of our caches?
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Striped Skunk
Striped Skunk:  [?] . The Striped Skunk is a common sight in the forests and suburbs throughout British Columbia. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Caching Containers
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» What do visiting cachers think of our caches?
topleft topfill topright
LOG-IN DIFFICULTIES
Please be advised that we are currently having problems with some of our users not being able to log into the site. We apologize for this, we are working to address the situation. Thank you for your patience

Thank You
BCGA Executive

toplefttopfilltopright
What do visiting cachers think of our caches?
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hollyburn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: What do visiting cachers think of our caches? Reply with quote

Portion of a recent log by a visiting cacher..... What do you think?

'A string of DNF's - does anyone care???
Caches thrown into bushes, caches with 'needs maintenance' logs on them for better than a year, and not nice coords.....
Yes, I'm disgusted.'
CAMOKELLY

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What do visiting cachers think of our caches? Reply with quote

hollyburn wrote:

Caches thrown into bushes, caches with 'needs maintenance' logs on them for better than a year, and not nice coords.....
Yes, I'm disgusted.'

I don't like them either. Especially when they are the top ten on your closest to home list Sad
tjguy98

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What do visiting cachers think of our caches? Reply with quote

I think that before I go commenting I would like to know more about the basis for the comments:

" a string of DNFs" Are they all missing or is that person not looking very hard?

"Does anyone care" Sounds like a cry for attention

"caches thrown into bushes" By who? The cache owner; fellow cachers who found the cache?

"needs maintenance logs for a year" Yeah, sure you come across the odd one like that where the cachers has given up the game and walked away.

"Yes I'm disgusted" I've only been disgusted by a few very horrible things in my life, and not finding a few sandwich containers in the bush doesn't even register on the disgusted scale....

Negative comments with no background information do not make good material for an ernstwhile discussion....unless you're on the Jerry Springer show...

hollyburn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What do visiting cachers think of our caches? Reply with quote

It got me thinking about what the caching would be like in my area as after I've found them I haven't paid too much attention to most of them. I'm happy to say that all but a couple that appear to have problems have been disabled so new cachers to the area won't be looking for them.
landsharkz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What do visiting cachers think of our caches? Reply with quote

We've had direct complaints about local caches that aren't being looked after and are in sad shape. How long do you do cache maintenance on someone's abandoned moldy cache for? I go prepared for cache maintenance but sometimes they are beyond what's reasonable...

Would it be better to stop by one day, turf it into the nearest garbage can Shocked and post a note that it's missing so it can be archived? That would free up a nice spot for a new cache for folks to go find and also get the junk out of the park. Thoughts?

The other complaint we've had is that many of the roads that show up (on Metroguide) when driving some of our rural areas don't exist Mad . That is where local knowledge will save you needless driving looking for an access that isn't there. Some roads are hydro right of ways and others might be on city planning maps but they've never been put in. There's really not much we can do about this issue except post driving instructions on the cache page for out of towners Idea .
Bestred

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What do visiting cachers think of our caches? Reply with quote

landsharkz wrote:
We've had direct complaints about local caches that aren't being looked after and are in sad shape. How long do you do cache maintenance on someone's abandoned moldy cache for? I go prepared for cache maintenance but sometimes they are beyond what's reasonable...

Would it be better to stop by one day, turf it into the nearest garbage can Shocked and post a note that it's missing so it can be archived? That would free up a nice spot for a new cache for folks to go find and also get the junk out of the park. Thoughts?

We always go out ready to take care of a cache or two, or five. I just hate to see that someone's hard work has gotten wet or smudged or accidentally broken/muggled. Geocaching is a fun experience for our family and anyway we can keep it fun for everyone else...we will do our best.
As for tossing it, well that doesn't sound right as it is someone else's property and even though they aren't taking care of their cache, an email or 10 could be sent out to them asking if they want to adopt it to someone. If there is no reply, then why not post a note about having it archived on the cache page. This way, you aren't stepping on toes, and going through the right channels.
Here in Abbotsford, we have an owner of some caches that are missing and they don't seem to care. It is stressing to see that they always come up on our GPS's as not found. Do we go to the place and put one there as a replacement, so others can find it and get it off of their GPS's as well, or do we just not bother and log them as finds? That is our dilema. :o)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What do visiting cachers think of our caches? Reply with quote

Yes, its a fine line. In Victoria it's getting tough to find anywhere to hide a cache that isn't a PLC/micro it seems. Folks are having to go farther afield to hide/find new ones but some really nice spots are being taken up with soggy rust filled lock n' locks that have long gone absentee owners. We've all found them years ago and the newbies are finding geo-trash. We could keep maintaining them for someone who doesn't care anymore, or they could be archived so a new cacher has a chance at hiding a cache within 10km of their home Wink . Then we'd all have a fresh new cache to go find in potentially a lovely spot we haven't been to for years.

The issue I have with archiving without removing the container is that we're leaving the garbage in the park and that's not right either. I guess it could be done the other way around than I initially suggested, in that we could request it be archived and then go chuck it in the nearest garbage can Smile .

When you live here, you get to know who's active and who is long gone from the sport - because e-mails have previously gone unanswered or they haven't visited gc.com for years.

Helen
CAMOKELLY

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What do visiting cachers think of our caches? Reply with quote

I have had the same thoughts. Can anyone enlighten me on if or what the rules are for ignored maintenance/ archiving requests. Is there any concrete rule in place that after a certain time unanswered it can be thrown out, adopted and replaced, or if missing archived?
landsharkz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: What do visiting cachers think of our caches? Reply with quote

TESKELLY wrote:
I have had the same thoughts. Can anyone enlighten me on if or what the rules are for ignored maintenance/ archiving requests. Is there any concrete rule in place that after a certain time unanswered it can be thrown out, adopted and replaced, or if missing archived?

Our reviewers have rules that they follow to archive any caches deemed worthy. If there are a lot of 'needs maintenance' notes and nothing is happening you can send a note to a reviewer and bring it to their attention. Mtn-man is very approachable and you can e-mail him through his profile. If you give him the GC number and even the link to the cache in question it will make his job of finding it a bit easier. The same would apply to missing caches with a whole slew of DNF's. I have gone back to the cache during one of my outings (if I've found it previously), confirmed that it's gone, and then sent a note to mtn-man to let him know that it is indeed gone. Usually this is the situation when the owner is long gone and no longer caching.

It would be nice if someone would then follow up by removing the geotrash though, because there are a lot of archived caches sitting in stumps and under logs around the province. Maybe that's just me though....Helen
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What do visiting cachers think of our caches? Reply with quote

Building on what Landsharkz was saying, as we go caching, we usually are chasing newer caches. Those caches are not usually in too bad condition.

When you go out of your area, you hit all sorts of caches, old, new and everything in between.

So, if you went to the 'complainers' home turf, and did a pile of caches, you'd see things that they probably are not aware of, because they have done those caches long ago, and certainly don't watch every cache they ever found.

What I suggest, is that there is not any more bad caches here, than anywhere else, and saying a whole area is bad is a pretty ignorant statement.

Things totally out of the control of the cache owner (ie 'kids been here partying, what a mess') is not something you go check for every friday night before 1 cacher might hit your cache on the weekend.

Then you get several finds after a 'complaint' and they say nothing, or even say completely opposite "great park, nice spot for a cache".. So what do you do?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What do visiting cachers think of our caches? Reply with quote

TESKELLY wrote:

gc.com is merely a listing service; they cannot authorize you to throw out a cache that is not yours. They can only archive the listing; they will not adopt out caches (anymore!) without the owner's permission. You can replace the cache until you're blue in the face but that just encourages lazy cache ownership.

If your archiving request is being ignored it's because the approvers / reviewers don't think it warrants archival.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What do visiting cachers think of our caches? Reply with quote

hollyburn wrote:

Yes, I'm disgusted.'

What do I think? I never did like cords, nice or otherwise.That "whiff-whiff" drove me nuts....

Seriously though, mark it as SBA and move on. It's really quite easy. No need for the editorial.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What do visiting cachers think of our caches? Reply with quote

tlg wrote:

Seriously though, mark it as SBA and move on. It's really quite easy. No need for the editorial.

Forgive me...what is a SBA?

PS, I understand replacing caches for lazy cache owners isn't a good thing, but if it will help others with their lists of caches to find, especially mine, I think it is a good idea. I hate having the same caches pop up on my GPS and I don't feel too good as logging them as found, when indeed I have not. This way, not only I can strike them off (if I replace them), but so can others. (Just my opinion Very Happy )

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What do visiting cachers think of our caches? Reply with quote

SBA - Should Be Archived Smile
tlgTakingAbreak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What do visiting cachers think of our caches? Reply with quote

Bestred wrote:
tlg wrote:

Forgive me...what is a SBA?

PS, I understand replacing caches for lazy cache owners isn't a good thing, but if it will help others with their lists of caches to find, especially mine, I think it is a good idea. I hate having the same caches pop up on my GPS and I don't feel too good as logging them as found, when indeed I have not. This way, not only I can strike them off (if I replace them), but so can others. (Just my opinion Very Happy )

If a cache is constantly in a state of disrepair and don't like seeing it in your list of "unfound caches" try using the ignore feature. It works quite well and can be viewed as another way of stiking them off.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1