CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Sept 13 Harrison Lake 4X4 Caching Run - Open Invite
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Kelowna & Ogopogo
Kelowna & Ogopogo:  [?] . Summer playground and home of mysterious lake monsters! [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Landsharkz Coins and Geocaching Gear
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Sept 13 Harrison Lake 4X4 Caching Run - Open Invite
toplefttopfilltopright
Sept 13 Harrison Lake 4X4 Caching Run - Open Invite
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tjguy98

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Sept 13 Harrison Lake 4X4 Caching Run - Open Invite Reply with quote

I'm looking at hosting an informal 4X4 caching trip up Harrison Lake West Forest Service Road snagging 14 or so caches along the way.

There will be a meet and greet at a Mission restaurant (TBA) around 9.00 AM, grab breakfast, and then head out on the highway aiming for the Harrison Lake West FSR.

This will be a long day of FSR driving to the top of the lake and back; as such it's not practical to expect to do this as a "group" due road conditions, driver's comfort level on the gravel FSR, etc.

Sorry, no planned dinner/BBQ either as the finish times will be well stretched out. Having said that I'm sure a few of us will end the day together and have a late dinner as a group.

If you are interested please post a reply so I can get an idea of how many folks to expect.

Highly recommend you have a 4X4 or a vehicle with high ground clearance; this is a rough, gravel, bumpy back woods road and not suited for the daily grocery getter.

I'll be posting the meet place and official cache page in the next few days.

scruffster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Sept 13 Harrison Lake 4X4 Caching Run - Open Invite Reply with quote

I am so in. I've always wanted to do a 4X4 route and I think I have a seat. **wink**

Actually, tjguy98 talked to me about this months ago and I love this idea. This will attract the hard-core drivers / cachers and it should be an exciting trip. Thanks for putting this together tjguy.
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Sept 13 Harrison Lake 4X4 Caching Run - Open Invite Reply with quote

Yo Scruff, you sure that AMC Pacer you drive can make the trip? Wink

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Sept 13 Harrison Lake 4X4 Caching Run - Open Invite Reply with quote

Anyone from Vancouver going? I need a 'seat'. This has been on my list of places to go but unfortunately I don't have a vehicle that can make it.
Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Sept 13 Harrison Lake 4X4 Caching Run - Open Invite Reply with quote

Count us in - and we have 2 extra seats - we'll be taking either the stock TJ, so won't be doing anything hat should scare anyone.. lol - we do have a few on our list up there that is a little more "hard core" - but nothing too bad

These are on our list - not sure which ones we'll get done think trying for all of them are a bit hopefull -

Five in the Bush, (will be either bringing chainsaw or walking last 1 km) Mystery Spot (will be decided on if the road is open or not), Morris Valley View, Weave a trail, and artists view - we will be skipping lookout for the well on this trip

We will also, if other are with us, will be more then willing to stop for the others up there, such as TJguy98's
scruffster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Sept 13 Harrison Lake 4X4 Caching Run - Open Invite Reply with quote

Yo, Baconboy. I have the shotgun seat in the lead vehicle. I'll remember to wave bye bye as your car is floating downstream. **teehee**

I'm very excited about this. It's been on my to do list for a very long time. Good times, good company, a challenging route and a really big truck. There must be something Freudian in all of this.

I've been told you city slickers can rent a 4X4 but they do suggest getting lots of insurance.
Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Sept 13 Harrison Lake 4X4 Caching Run - Open Invite Reply with quote

So if this is an "informal" event do we get to claim it as an official event.. so it counts as one??? nudge nudge..

As for dinner afterwards - if the weather cooperates can we possibly bbq at one of the locations out there? - With all this icky weather the last two weeks we're owed a few more nice weeks of weather?

Which caches were on your list that would be gotten? other then your own? And how far up?

I'd almost say if we're leaving on Saturday - why not go all the way to Sloquette hot springs? and Camp there (ok I know the city slickers might not like the outhouses there) but the hot springs are worth it (and there are two caches there..... Get up Sunday morning and make the rounds down the canyon or the whistler route for more caches? -

That's our vote..
tjguy98

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Sept 13 Harrison Lake 4X4 Caching Run - Open Invite Reply with quote

I have a list of about 14 caches to do, all of them along the route. I have avoided some of the ones the Turtles mentioned as they are a bit more challenging to get at. Challenging = more time spent on one cache that could be directed towards travelling time along the main route.

It will be an "official" get together as soon as I firm up the meet place, and of course it will count toards your total. Very Happy

It will take approx 3 hours to get to the top of the lake at a leisurely pace, and a bit less getting back down. I figure 5 hours on the road, give or take; that's probably enough driving/bumping for most people for a day.
Keeping in mind it's dark in the mountains by 7.00 PM this time of year.

I don't think most folks would want to pull an overnighter to do the loop;
sounds good but I don't think it will happen....

hollyburn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Sept 13 Harrison Lake 4X4 Caching Run - Open Invite Reply with quote

....and I have a ride with TulameenTurtles. Yeah!
TethysC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Sept 13 Harrison Lake 4X4 Caching Run - Open Invite Reply with quote

Sounds like an awesome day trip - wish I was closer to join in. I did my thesis all along the west side of Harrison Lake and used to know all the old logging roads along there. I imagine it's a lot different now and there are way fewer big old trees.
Have fun. Here's a pic from up the Mystery Creek Valley (1985)

tjguy98

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Sept 13 Harrison Lake 4X4 Caching Run - Open Invite Reply with quote

WOW! That's some big tree! Hard to imagine that size of tree was the norm not the exception in Coastal BC

tjguy98

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Sept 13 Harrison Lake 4X4 Caching Run - Open Invite Reply with quote

It's official! The even page was published tonight;

GC1FVEN "Breakfast Meeting For the Harrison Lake Tour"

On the page I have the list of suggested caches for the route as wel as estimated times up the lake and down again.
Have a look and if you're interested, and have a capable vehicle or even need to hitch a ride, make a post and see who can accomodate you.

Now, let's all do the sunshine dance; it's so much nicer in the sunshine then the rain! Very Happy

TethysC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Sept 13 Harrison Lake 4X4 Caching Run - Open Invite Reply with quote

If anyone ever wants to hunt for fossils on the west side of Harrison Lake, there is a good locality on the north side of Hale Creek along the road cut.
49 28.624' 121 53.110
Here's a picture of some of the ammonites we pulled out of there years ago.
landsharkz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Sept 13 Harrison Lake 4X4 Caching Run - Open Invite Reply with quote

In the early 80's I used to live in Mission and the logging roads up the west side of the lake were my playground too. We used to go 4x4ing and canoeing and camping in that area.

I had no idea there were fossils too... I'd love to go ammonite hunting up there. Too cool.

Have fun folks,
Chris
tjguy98

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Sept 13 Harrison Lake 4X4 Caching Run - Open Invite Reply with quote

Well, the trip is done, we've all had a day to recover and clean up; it took that long to get all that dust out of my hair and my shorts! Shocked

Seems like the trip was a hit as every one that went had a blast and already are asking when the next one is scheduled; even ILoveVacation, whose view of some of the road consisted of the "See No Evil" pose, is gung ho to go again. I think she's just deliriously happy that she survived!!

Have a look at the write ups on the event page GC1FVEN and troll the logs for the actual cache pages; some of comments are priceless and you'll find some excellent photos as well.

Thanks to all who came out for the trip, with any luck we'll have another one before too long with a few more cachers along for the fun.

BTW I do have quite a bit of film that I am currently editing to make a video of the trip. I'll let you know when it's done...

hollyburn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Sept 13 Harrison Lake 4X4 Caching Run - Open Invite Reply with quote

The tour was fantastic! I had been up the FSR only as far as our Scout Camp, Camp Cove, so it was really great to have an opportunity to get up to Tipella. Next year..... hotsprings????
tjguy98

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Sept 13 Harrison Lake 4X4 Caching Run - Open Invite Reply with quote

OK folks, the write up is done and the videos are posted; click on the link below to be taken to my blog where you will find the story and the link to the 3 videos. Three! Yes count them, 3 videos 10 minutes long each. Seems I've replaced my camera take-picture-itus with cam corder-itus, both of which lead to massive amounts of visual footage.

The Tulameen Turtles have also updated their blog with their busy, busy two weekends of off road travelling. You can read their blog here

Enjoy the reads and we hope to see you on the trail next time!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1