CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» Posting "Needs Maintenance" or "Needs Archiving"
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Agassiz Tulips
Agassiz Tulips:  [?] . Every spring the tulip fields of Agassiz and Bradner explode with colour. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Caching Containers
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» Posting "Needs Maintenance" or "Needs Archiving"
topleft topfill topright
LOG-IN DIFFICULTIES
Please be advised that we are currently having problems with some of our users not being able to log into the site. We apologize for this, we are working to address the situation. Thank you for your patience

Thank You
BCGA Executive

toplefttopfilltopright
Posting "Needs Maintenance" or "Needs Archiving"
Have question about how to use your GPS, hide a cache or solve a problem, let the local experts try to help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cristo9FP

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Posting "Needs Maintenance" or "Needs Archiving" Reply with quote

Hi all

Is it appropriate to post a "Needs Maintenance" or "Needs Archiving" note for a cache that you haven't personally looked for?

For example: GCV1DX

Thanks.
tlgTakingAbreak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Posting "Needs Maintenance" or "Needs Archiving" Reply with quote

It's up to you. However, the needs maintenance log does not get a reviewers attention so they somewhat useless in cases like this. Random SBA notes tend to tick off some of the more sensitive cachers out there so, if it really bugs you, you can always email mtn-man with the waypoint and let him deal with it.

Cristo9FP wrote:
Hi all

Is it appropriate to post a "Needs Maintenance" or "Needs Archiving" note for a cache that you haven't personally looked for?

For example: GCV1DX

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Posting "Needs Maintenance" or "Needs Archiving" Reply with quote

tlg wrote:
...you can always email mtn-man with the waypoint and let him deal with it.

Well, actually I did that already a few days ago but no response or action yet. I know mtn-man is a volunteer and probably extremely busy so I'm 100% ok that he Didn't! Immediately! Respond! This thread is not me being impatient about one particular cache; I'm just wondering what's "kosher" and what's not.

Thanks.
Mach2003dead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Posting "Needs Maintenance" or "Needs Archiving" Reply with quote

I don't understand what circumstances would cause a cacher to post a NM log for a cache that they never sought after. How would they KNOW it needs maintenence?

I have, and can see good reasons for a cacher placing a SBA log though. Some caches are abandoned by the lister, and after many DNF and/or NM logs, it just sits idle, taking up space on everyones closest list and PQ's. If mtn-man disagrees with the SBA, he can choose to do nothing about it. If the lister responds. all the better.

I have seen NM logs from cachers who have never visited the location, and have found a perfictly good, well placed cache there when I did visit (after the NM was logged). This is extra important if the owner is unable to post the "Owner Maintained" log to the page, as it flags it as broken, even though it may not be.
tlgTakingAbreak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Posting "Needs Maintenance" or "Needs Archiving" Reply with quote

What's "kosher"? Good question. I've learned over the years that it's best to avoid sticking an SBA on a cache unless you're 100% certain that it needs to be archived. A lot of cache owners take it as a personal insult when someone posts an SBA log on their cache. I see no reason for the NM log type, the SBA works just as well and has the added bonus of bringing the cache to the attention of the reviewers.

Personally, I would never post an SBA or a NM log on a cache that I had not found to be in need of either log. But there is no hard and fast rule. (Thankfully, we don't need any more rules.)

Cristo9FP wrote:
tlg wrote:
...you can always email mtn-man with the waypoint and let him deal with it.

Well, actually I did that already a few days ago but no response or action yet. I know mtn-man is a volunteer and probably extremely busy so I'm 100% ok that he Didn't! Immediately! Respond! This thread is not me being impatient about one particular cache; I'm just wondering what's "kosher" and what's not.

Thanks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?
Page 1 of 1