CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Ok here's another one for ya
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Atlin Lake
Atlin Lake:  [?] . Snow Caves of Atlin Lake [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Landsharkz Coins and Geocaching Gear
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
October 2014
SMTWTFS
01 02 03 04
05 06 07 08 09 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

Fri Oct 31, 2014
Event Halloween

Tue Nov 11, 2014
Event Remembrance Day

Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Ok here's another one for ya
toplefttopfilltopright
Ok here's another one for ya
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CAMOKELLY

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Ok here's another one for ya Reply with quote

Say your buddy calls and wants to cache with you today. However one of the caches your planning to do is for a FTF and is the final of a series you have been working on. This final is a puzzle cache which to be solved you need clues from all the other caches in the series then decipher the clues to get the coordinates. But your buddy hasn't found any of the caches in the series yet. What then?

Do you:
Let him come along and find out where the final cache is but not sign it?
Give him the coordinates also and let him look/find the cache with you?
Make him sit in the car while you find it?
Forgo the FTF and not do that one today?

Man if I knew how to I should make this one a poll.
Catapult Jeff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Ok here's another one for ya Reply with quote

Is this like when you are out with a friend and you run across a great spot to place a cache and they pull out a ready to go cache and place it. Then on top of it they make it a puzzle cache. Can you find it NOW or do you have to wait until it is published? Do you solve the puzzle or just grab it?

When you face these questions just ask your self this one little question I saw as a bumper sticker " What would BOB do?". Don't know? What don't we ask him.

Bob, what would you do?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Ok here's another one for ya Reply with quote

Bob says, spend day caching with friend - however friend gets blindfolded and led to cache and they have to sniff out cache and feel in spots I don't want to mention (did I mention my recent slug incident going for High Maintenances FTF the other night.. shudder) - use friend! then buy friend butter beer and bat's brew

Then lead them back blindfolded to car and they can't claim a cache they never saw... evil laugh..
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Ok here's another one for ya Reply with quote

Except for the FTF part (4th logged before I was out of bed!), this was my situation on the weekend. Though Geodug accompanied me on 100 Acre Final, and two other caches nearby, he did not claim a find.

But you got me thinking, did I put his name in the log book when I found it? I probably did! Wink I was doing that during the day and I may have by habit. Anyways no, this would definatly be a 'wait till I get the rest' situation. He will have to find the other caches, solve the cipher and go back to the cache and log it.

Does the fact that he has a general idea where it is ruin it a bit when he goes back one day to log a find? I guess it could a bit, but given his sprained ankle and staying on the flat trail, pretty much just knows what side of the trial its on.

Personally I think its up to the other party to decide how they want to play the game. If your partner really did not want any preview, they could have just as well waited in the car, walked to the next cache or held back until you found it or gave up. Even if they helped in the hunt, I think it would be your FTF.. Now thats a good deal! So they did the hunt early, its the same hunt they would have done a month later, but no reward of being able to log it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Ok here's another one for ya Reply with quote

Well...
Jeff, I can see why you get into trouble LOL Wink

I know for TESKELLY and I we always sign for each other, whenever one of us gets the book, cause either one of us has the dog or is dealing the children and the swag. So Mr. Bacon, I can totally understand the signing for someone else.
TESKELLY has done FTF's without me, and some with me, and some with me knowing where he is going to go to get them, though he doesn't show me where the ones are that I wasn't there for, as he just stands there and watches me look for them when I get the chance to find them.

Now as for the question?
FTF's are really just Three Letters (FTF)...they don't mean anything except on your stats that you enter yourself. You do not get a gold star, a prize, or even a ticket for a chance to win a prize, everytime you do one.
It is great when you are the first person to find the cache, but to me, I am hopefully (cache not muggled or archived) going to find it at some point anyhow, so really does it matter if I am first or 10th or 200th?

So my answer would be to forgo finding the FTF (remember no gold star), and have an awesome FUN day caching with your friend.

Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Ok here's another one for ya Reply with quote

I've been chanting a new mantra, "It's always an FTF for ME"... meaning it's always the First time (hopefully last, but thats another story) I found the cache, so what difference does it make really in the end. Not that I don't occasionally go for First, but in the end , most times will it make the hunt any different? Probably not.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Ok here's another one for ya Reply with quote

The FTF is just the cherry on the sundae. It's nice to have but it's also nice to share the wealth and give it to someone else.

When caching with a group, there will always be someone that hasn't solved a puzzle or done all the legs of a series. That just comes with the territory. There are people that will not log a puzzle cache until they have solved the puzzle (sometimes after finding the cache). That is very commendable and as a person who designs puzzle caches myself, it is nice to see.

Unfortunately, I don't have the same scruples. If I'm caching in a group and we hit a puzzle cache, I'll log the find well knowing that I haven't done the puzzle. I will look at the puzzle later and if it's good I sometimes do it. If it's something that I've seen before I let it go. If the puzzle requires university math, I thank my lucky stars that I'll never have to do it.
Bestred

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Ok here's another one for ya Reply with quote

scruffster wrote:
I will look at the puzzle later and if it's good I sometimes do it. If it's something that I've seen before I let it go. If the puzzle requires university math, I thank my lucky stars that I'll never have to do it.

I did log a puzzle cache after we found it but without figuring out the puzzle. Only as I had us in the area to begin with, just hadn't pinpointed the proper coords. Though...I did finish the puzzle later that day, or was it the next day? But I did finish it, as I didn't feel right knowing I had done the cache but not the puzzle AND I couldn't get a decent night's sleep until I had. Once I start one of the puzzle caches, it is tough to not wanna finish them.

Scruff - I still have yet to do your puzzle caches, but I have looked at a couple and I can't wait to get started!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Ok here's another one for ya Reply with quote

Occasionally Oneof2Fidoes and I will go get the finals for puzzles we have solved together or separately. I may have solved some and she may have solved some but we both sign the logs and cross them off our list. There was a great one that we solved on the ferry together, but generally they are done by 'she' or 'me/he' and we add them to our list to find that day. I can't see either of us claiming a FTF on a puzzle we hadn't done any of - that would be a stretch of our caching morals/ethics.

Speaking of honourable... I remember one time when we were out in a big fun group in Thetis...Charbs stood by the main trail and waited while some of our group found the final of a GeoJackasses multi (Chris and I had done it before) because he hadn't even started it yet. That was pretty commendable - he could have saved himself a lot of 'biblical' research Wink .
Helen

Last edited by landsharkz on Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
gearhedd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Ok here's another one for ya Reply with quote

I myself have put out a few puzzle caches, I have not problem if a group does my cache know only one has solved the puzzle. I like to solve the puzzle myself, with hints or help from owner. But I'm on my own my wife is not a cacher so has no interest in solving puzzles.

But what would really be nice is if some of these puzzle caches had GEOCHECKER.... I have heard you can enter coords after coords till you get it right, but that seems like more work.
Bestred

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Ok here's another one for ya Reply with quote

gearhedd wrote:
But what would really be nice is if some of these puzzle caches had GEOCHECKER.... I have heard you can enter coords after coords till you get it right, but that seems like more work.

I agree with the GEOCHECKER, as sometimes you are in that area that day and you could have done that final with the coords, had you been able to check them sooner, instead of emailing the coords to the owner and waiting on them.
Plus with the GEOCHECKER...
I think you can ensure only a certain amount of times a person can check before it stops?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Ok here's another one for ya Reply with quote

No good way to limit tries. If using cookies, the user can remove them. If using and ID, then the user can create a new one.

The only time the try any number really works, if you are maybe 1 digit wrong. Every new digit you add to try, its 10fold more numbers. If someone want's to go through all that effort, all the power to them!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1