CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Cache Machines??????????/
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Racoon
Racoon:  [?] . Curiosity and ingenuity have earned the racoon's reputation as a geocache's primary non-human muggle. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Caching Containers
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Cache Machines??????????/
toplefttopfilltopright
Cache Machines??????????/
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CAMOKELLY

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Cache Machines??????????/ Reply with quote

Ok how do these cache machines work? I read this post today and can't understand or believe the validaty of the post. This person talks about 80 caches in one day. How is that even humanly possible?

Quote:

"WOW Great area for a cache machine. Thanks Travis for putting together another cache machine to feed the smileys to us. I have noticed that there is a few of us out here that love the smileys because I keep seeing them at these little gatherings. 80 caches in one day is a record for me and the normal crazy crew I cache with."
scruffster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Cache Machines??????????/ Reply with quote

It's very possible to find 80 caches in a day during a cache machine. I know people who have found 90+ caches during a cache machine. There are several reasons for this...

1) Virgin territory. People who don't live in the area will have a load of caches to find with very little driving.

2) The cache is generally found for you. When there are 100 people converging in one area chances are the cache is in someone's hand. All you have to do is find the group and sign the log. If you come prepared with a sticker you hardly have to touch the log book. Since the one that finds the cache has to put it back (the general rule) it is not in anyone's best interest to find a cache since they're the last to leave a location. There will also be several people who have solved puzzle caches which you can follow, trade and/or mooch coords. By the same token, a large group is more prone to find hard caches quicker.

3) A long day. Cache machines sometimes start before sunrise and end late.

Many people treat cache machines like a car rally. The general point of a cache machine is to find a lot of caches so it is not uncommon to see people running from cache to cache as fast as they can. It's not necessarily a casual day caching.
911turbos

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Cache Machines??????????/ Reply with quote

We have done cache machines and point #2 is not necessarily correct. Although you do start out with a lot of cachers at the first few caches, the group soon spreads out and you are usually caching with just a few people. Puzzle caches are not included, so there is no sharing of answers.

The main reason you can do so many caches is planning. The routes are planned out. There are no puzzles or multis. The caches usually have a lower terrain and difficulty rating.

We did over 90 caches in one day in Victoria with a group of cachers (Not an actual cache machine). Most of the caches were not park and grabs nor were they all micros. We cached for over 12 hours and did not stop very long to eat. Victoria is a very cache dense area. (and yes we did have a few DNFs).

I think it could easily be done in the Lower Mainland as well if you had not cached here before.
CAMOKELLY

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: Cache Machines??????????/ Reply with quote

Ok this is still fuzzy to me. Let me begin by first saying that I'm not trying to suggest it wasn't done. I'm just trying to wrap my head around this concept.

So let me see if I can understand this. 90 caches over 12 hours.

If you did 1 cache an hour for 12 hours you would have done 12 caches
If you did 1 cache every 30 minutes for 12 hours you would have 24
If you did 1 cache every 15 minutes for 12 hours you would have 48
If you did 1 cache every 7.5 minutes for 12 hours you would have 96

Am I doing this correct? Does this mean it could be possible for each person in a group to drive to, get out, find the cache or someone at the cache, sign it, return to vehicle or start walking/running to next cache, and repeated again every 7.5 minutes for 12 hours? That just does not seem possible to me. I mean with terrain variations, traffic lights, parking delays, searching at cache locations, and so on that would all add to the time needed at various caches. I understand that large groups would make things easier but a cache every 7.5 minutes. It would seem to me that it would take 5 minutes at each stop to just get the entire group in and out of the vehicles let alone everyone in each group getting to, signing, and returning from a cache in just 7.5 minutes. I figure the caches would have to be exactly 500 feet apart all the way along the route with no hills, traffic light, parking problems, or searching time at all if one could every dream of pulling something like that off. All it would take is a couple caches being hard to find and taking 10-15 minutes to find or a couple problems with parking or finding the right entrance to a park trail for instance to throw the whole thing off. Can you see what I mean or am I just not understand something here?
911turbos

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Cache Machines??????????/ Reply with quote

Yes it is possible if the route is well planned. There are definitely some park and grabs that reduce the time. You also select caches that aren't far from parking and you can sometimes do more than one cache from one parking spot.

If you look at the Victoria Cache Machine, there should be a link to the route they used. It will include driving times between caches and usually allows 5 minutes per cache when you get to the location. It is about being quick. If you can't find it quickly, you move on. As you usually have a few people looking at the same time, you tend to find them faster. Cache descriptions and hints are read as you drive from one cache to the other.

Victoria route
911turbos

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Cache Machines??????????/ Reply with quote

At Geowoodstock in May, there was a team that did 315 caches in 24 hours:

One day record
CAMOKELLY

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Machines??????????/ Reply with quote

Well I must commend these people who pull this off. I for one would probably have a heart attack attempting that many in a day. Kudos to those that do.
wildbeanz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Machines??????????/ Reply with quote

I have never been on an official cache machine but have been part of a few planned ones.
Our day in Victoria was great fun and as the Turbos said- we did no puzzles, easy ratings and planned, planned, planned. Must be disciplined to be able to DNF a hide- no more than 5 minutes at each cache searching. The other key is to start early (6 am)- we had dozens of caches in hand before the rest of the world was having their first coffee- less traffic, easy parking etc.
And we did not run to the caches either but again we were a well oiled machine- hints and logs read in the car on the way to the cache, stickers in hand ready to put in log books, not a lot of travel bug or coins trading or even swag trading and again the route was chosen in an area we had not cached and was loaded with caches !
We did DNF a few but still managed to log over 90 finds that day and that was still taking the ferry back that night to Vancouver. Every person had to touch the cache and the person who find it had to put it back - sometimes not great to be the finder (hee hee).

Lots of fun !
But remember caching is not about the numbers usually - but about the great places it takes you.... ...... but once in a while it really is fun to go for the numbers !
Catapult Jeff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Machines??????????/ Reply with quote

"Lots of fun !
But remember caching is not about the numbers usually - but about the great places it takes you.... "

I thought it is about the great people you meet?

No matter what, the number of finds at the end of the day will never equal the fun you will have caching in a group.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Machines??????????/ Reply with quote

Well said Catapult ! Some of the greatest people and the best friends I have I have met throught Geocaching !
Very Happy
msthebrain and pinky

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Machines??????????/ Reply with quote

Ok now who will plan one for the mid island area for say the 8,9 of November
gotlost001

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Machines??????????/ Reply with quote

scruffster wrote:

2) The cache is generally found for you. When there are 100 people converging in one area chances are the cache is in someone's hand. All you have to do is find the group and sign the log. If you come prepared with a sticker you hardly have to touch the log book. Since the one that finds the cache has to put it back (the general rule) it is not in anyone's best interest to find a cache since they're the last to leave a location. There will also be several people who have solved puzzle caches which you can follow, trade and/or mooch coords. By the same token, a large group is more prone to find hard caches quicker.

Call me crazy, but what is the difference between this and giving someone your stickers and having them stick them in caches they found? If you log 100 caches that you didn't look for then how can you say you deserve the smiley?
landsharkz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Machines??????????/ Reply with quote

gotlost001, I would compare it to when I go caching with Oneof2Fidoes - sometimes she finds it and sometimes I find it, but we both sign the log and get the smiley. Also , whoever finds it re-hides it. Cache machines are the same, but on a much grander scale, plus there's a group dinner after! We participated on the CMII here on the island - we were with the group for the first couple of caches, then we lost most of them because we took a 'detour' Embarassed , but we still met people at different caches all day.
gotlost001

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Cache Machines??????????/ Reply with quote

I under stand group caching, I love to go out with a small group. But we all search for the cache, even if we don't find it personally, we ALL look for it. I think if you just show up and the cache was found 5 min before you got there it you are missing the biggest part of the sport "the hunt". This is just my opinion. I have done group caching days where the faster people in the group found the cache before the rest of us got there and I felt cheated, now if we find it before the other we try to be quiet and watch them look. This keeps our numbers down, but makes us all work for the smiley. TESKelly has cached with us and I think that is what started this discussion. Just mt two cents.
Bestred

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Cache Machines??????????/ Reply with quote

after our meet and greet the other night, I had heard about 300+ caches being done in 24 hours. Ok, when you ya use the washroom???? LOL
It is amazing and seriously, I can't imagine how it is done.
I do agree though, the hunt is the reason we do cache and if you miss that, then it isn't too much fun. Wink
I know, I have my kids who sometimes do it for me, but seriously, that is great because it is fun for them and I don't want to take that away. Very Happy

I think the only way that one can 'wrap' their hear around this idea is to actually do, or attend one of these 'machines' or 'mega' cache days. Sometimes seeing is believing Very Happy

So when is the next one...lol Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Cache Machines??????????/ Reply with quote

oh ya!!!!

I agree with ya Jeff....it is about the fun, so about the fun! I have met some great people since I have started geocaching and I am so thankful for that. Each time I see these people, there is always a smile, and a welcoming feeling.
I have never been one about the numbers and I know TESKELLY isn't either (I have to, he does live with me....lol), and we have grown so much closer as a family that it never will be for us. (though he isn't allowed to go caching without me cause his alread 60 caches above me Laughing Laughing )

The kids even ask to go caching, though I think for something like the 'machine', I would have to leave them at home. Travel T, he takes wayyyyyyyy too long to get out of the car. Hee hee Laughing Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Cache Machines??????????/ Reply with quote

Bestred wrote:
after our meet and greet the other night, I had heard about 300+ caches being done in 24 hours. Ok, when you ya use the washroom???? LOL

So when is the next one...lol Laughing

Yes Tammo did over 300 caches in 24 hours I think it was 316 caches and they had over 30 DNF's. They did it GWS4. There was a team of 8 cachers that planned for 3 months to do the 24 hour record attempt. They had a driver, navigator and 6 cachers. All their food and drink was in the van for a 24 hour cache blitz. Talking to Tammo about his expereince doing this he said it wasNOT fun and he would never do it again. And this coming from a cacher with 7777 finds.
I like our way of mini cache blitz's were a few cacher get togeather and go cahing for the day. I think the most we ever did in one day was about 42 caches and that was stopping for lunch at a local pub also. It was a dawn to dusk caching day but it was still fun and everyone had fun.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Cache Machines??????????/ Reply with quote

That would have to be a lot of planning and definately NO KIDS! LOL
I think that is pretty cool. Very Happy Though I know I could never do it, as by the 100th cache, I would be in the back of the van telling everyone to go on without me and let me sleep... Laughing
I would love to do one of the Cache Blitzes, though I would involve the children, as they usually do all the work for us...hee hee Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Machines??????????/ Reply with quote

Bestred asked "when would you use the washroom? For us it would be en route between caches....thanks to a little camping "loo" purchased at Canadian Tire. You do need a van for this, however! And preferably one with dark, dark, windows Laughing
Catapult Jeff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Machines??????????/ Reply with quote

Wide mouth one litre (or bigger) bottles work well too. Too many years of winter camping with my Scouts. I never did like getting out of a warm sleeping bag at 2 AM when it was minus 15 C. So be warned! That water bottle with the poison symbol on it, filled with an apple juice like liquid ISN"T to drink!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Machines??????????/ Reply with quote

Like I always say"It's good to be a man" Very Happy
Bestred

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Machines??????????/ Reply with quote

Ha ha Laughing

Again about these cache machines...
We went out on Saturday with another couple geocaching and we did 32 caches in 12 hours. That included taking about 5 mins a cache, if needed, bathroom breaks and time to stop and eat.
Now, had we brought food, still the bathroom breaks alone took for sure about 1/2 hour for us women. So with that, I am sure we could have done another 20 or 25 caches. Luckily we didn't dnf any, but prob would have if we had placed a time limit on each cache.
So I am guessing we could have done about 60 caches in 12 hours and about 120 in 24. So I can understand 150 in 2 days.
How many people does it take to do the 300 + in 2 days?
We had 4 including 2 kids (who are very helpful at times) Wink

Can someone also explain exactly what needs to planned (in detail) to do one of these cache machines? I am truly interested in this Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Machines??????????/ Reply with quote

Bestred wrote:

Can someone also explain exactly what needs to planned (in detail) to do one of these cache machines? I am truly interested in this Very Happy

I'd be glad to chat with you at the AGM with regards to attending a Cache machine and what we did to prep for participation.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Cache Machines??????????/ Reply with quote

I look forward to the chat Very Happy
See you then.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Machines??????????/ Reply with quote

I don't know what everyone else is in it for, but I am in it for the journey, not the destination Very Happy .
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1