CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» Regional —» Thompson / Okanagan —» Garmen Etrex Legend Acting Up.
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Kelowna & Ogopogo
Kelowna & Ogopogo:  [?] . Summer playground and home of mysterious lake monsters! [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Caching Containers
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» Regional —» Thompson / Okanagan —» Garmen Etrex Legend Acting Up.
topleft topfill topright
LOG-IN DIFFICULTIES
Please be advised that we are currently having problems with some of our users not being able to log into the site. We apologize for this, we are working to address the situation. Thank you for your patience

Thank You
BCGA Executive

toplefttopfilltopright
Garmen Etrex Legend Acting Up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Thompson / Okanagan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riley

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Garmen Etrex Legend Acting Up. Reply with quote

We have had our gps for about 1.5 years and just lately it will track and than the screen will go blank with a line verticaly. Question Does somebody have any ideas?

Thanks
Love Bugs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Garmen Etrex Legend Acting Up. Reply with quote

Yup we hav ethe same problem with ours. It seems as if the ribbon connector in the unit is loose. I have not yet had the chance to take mine apart to try and fix it. There are some good articles on the web explaining on how to do this.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Garmen Etrex Legend Acting Up. Reply with quote

I have had the same problem, I did take it apart and fix it. Be careful of the small clips that hold the case together, I broke mine. It is however, not to hard to fix. Very Happy
Sliverboy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmen Etrex Legend Acting Up. Reply with quote

I was having the same problem and read on the geocaching forums that a software update might be all that is needed. I updated my Legend software from the Garmin site and it seems to be working fine now.

Found the following as an explantion as for the reason for the malfunction.

Quote::
For those wondering what happened (why you get the 'vertical line' & deadness), here's the way it was explained to me.

Uncle Sugar's had the new WAAS satellite up for some time - but it was only activated recently. The Legend (et al) does fine on powerup, until it "sees" the 2nd (new) satellite, & doesn't know what to do -- so kablooey!

The upgrade to v3.9 firmware is the solution (you'll note it 'Addresses WAAS issues), but if for some reason you're caught where you can't do it at the moment & need your GPSr to function, merely go into its Main Page > Setup menu & disable WAAS. It'll work just fine - but you can expect to live with only 17-21' accuracy at best, until you can get the firmware upgrade installed.

As mentioned above, download to your computer into a folder, and it is a SELF EXTRACTING ZIP FILE (ie, no WinZip needed!!). Just navigate to the folder you saved it in, click the .exe & it will extract 4 files, including one named UPDATE.TXT which is full instructions on how to install to your GPSr & more. Easier'n fallin' off a Park 'n Grab!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Thompson / Okanagan
Page 1 of 1