CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» To activate or not to activate?
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Georgina Point Lighthouse
Georgina Point Lighthouse:  [?] . Now a heritage site, the Georgina Point Lighthouse on Mayne Island has been lighting the way through Active Pass since 1885. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» To activate or not to activate?
topleft topfill topright
LOG-IN DIFFICULTIES
Please be advised that we are currently having problems with some of our users not being able to log into the site. We apologize for this, we are working to address the situation. Thank you for your patience

Thank You
BCGA Executive

toplefttopfilltopright
To activate or not to activate?
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Technic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: To activate or not to activate? Reply with quote

I posted this question elsewhere, but it got lost in the forums somewhere.
I got the two 2008 BCGA Geocoins and am wondering if I should activate them, even though I intend to keep them as keep sakes. Activating them will allow them to be discovered at events, and will also prevent someone to whom I show the coins from taking the tracking number and activating it under their profile, thus I virtually loose the coin.
If I activate them, in what location should they be kept.
I recently found a "whitebear" coin so I checked his profile and noticed he has moved/discovered hundreds of trackables. Also, he owns many, many trackables which as sitting in an unpublished location. How does that work?
I also noticed other profiles with many trackables owned and they have put them into a named location, but it is unpublished.
Catapult Jeff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: To activate or not to activate? Reply with quote

Many of us have a "Piggy bank" to keep our coins in. All you need to do is create a cache page just like you would for a real cache but you never click the publish cache page button. So you will be able to see your unpublished cache off your account page. You can then drop your coins/ TBs in to this fake cache. If you want to move a coin to an event or for mileage just grab it like you would from a real cache, drop it in a cache. Don't forget to get it back and place it again in your in Piggy Bank.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: To activate or not to activate? Reply with quote

OK, thanks Jeff. Just to clarify, then, I would go through all the real work to have a cache of mine approved via GC.com. I would have to follow all the rules outlined by GC.com regarding a real cache, including real coordinates, log book, etc. so that it meets all the criteria to actually be published. Does mtn-man then send you the OK to publish it, at which point you don't publish it, but just sit on it? I am not familiar with how publishing works. I thought once that mtn-man (GC.com) approves the cache then it is published by him automatically. I think you are telling me that I have the final input whether or not to publish it, is that correct? Question

Thanks again.
911turbos

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: To activate or not to activate? Reply with quote

No, it is not actually ever published. Just untick the box: "Yes, this listing is active". It will they always show up in your list of Caches waiting for review. Only you will be able to see it. Normally cachers use their home coordinates for a cache of this type. mtn_man will never review it.

If you have an archived cache or event, you can use that as well. Some cachers do this instead of using an unpublished cache.
scruffster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: To activate or not to activate? Reply with quote

I think they're saying the cache page is never published. It just sits there in cyber purgatory for the rest of your caching life. If you make sure the checkbox is off where it says "this cache is active" the revewers will never see it. Thus, it will not be published and no other geocacher can access the page. It would just be a cyber stash for your personal coins.
Technic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: To activate or not to activate? Reply with quote

If the trackables sit in cyber purgatory, does this show up on your trackables list on GC.com? The idea is to move the coins or trackables from this cyber purgatory cache to an event cache, for example, have fellow cachers discover it, and then at the end of the event, move the coin or trackable back to cyber purgatory. I personally, at this time at least, am not interested in putting miles on my geocoins. It doesn't mean that much to me. If I had some nice coins I would like to allow other cachers to see them.
Another idea came to mind. There is a cache about 500 meters from my home which is temporarily unavailable. It has been muggled for more than a year now, and the owner has not done anything with it. I am thinking to e-mail the owner and have the owner get the cache archived. Once archived, I would ask the owner if I could adopt the cache, if that is possible after archiving. I would then have an archived cache into which I could enter my keep sake trackables. Question is "can an archived cache be adopted and kept as an archived cache?". Confused
911turbos

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: To activate or not to activate? Reply with quote

They still show on your trackables list but not in your inventory.

Personally I do not move mine into each event as I have too many. They can still be discovered even if they are in the non-published cache.

I don't think you can adopt an archived cache. You could still put your trackables there if the owner does not mind. The only control the owner of the cache would have is they could mark the trackables missing.
bcrockcrawler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: To activate or not to activate? Reply with quote

I store our collection in an old archived cache page. The downside of storing them on an unpublished cache page is that if a cacher makes a mistake and grabs a coin instead of discovering it, they have to contact you and you have to put it back. If they do it to one of my coins, they can put it back.
I have also attached a Travel Bug Tag to one of our coin cases and that is what I move from cache event to event rather then the whole collection coin by coin....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: To activate or not to activate? Reply with quote

bcrockcrawler- can you explain how you attach a TB to the coins so you put the TB in the events?
bcrockcrawler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: To activate or not to activate? Reply with quote

Bestred wrote:
bcrockcrawler- can you explain how you attach a TB to the coins so you put the TB in the events?

Our collection is in three (for now) binders. I have activated the trackable coins and placed them in this cache, GC77B5. I then bought a travel bug and attached it to one of the cases and called it "bcrockcrawler, xstitcher, & BMXer's Geocoin collection".
When we take the collection to an event this is the TB I place into the event rather then the 240+ trackable coins in the collection.
I do this mainly for the Moun10Bike coin we have to prove that it was at the event so that there are no fake finds on it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: To activate or not to activate? Reply with quote

Ah....I see. That makes sense. What a great idea!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1