CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Ottawa police blow up Geocache on bridge.
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Mount Sheba
Mount Sheba:  [?] . Reminiscent of the temples of Egypt and Persia, the exotic landscape beckoned early pioneers to name the peak Mount Sheba. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Landsharkz Coins and Geocaching Gear
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Ottawa police blow up Geocache on bridge.
topleft topfill topright
LOG-IN DIFFICULTIES
Please be advised that we are currently having problems with some of our users not being able to log into the site. We apologize for this, we are working to address the situation. Thank you for your patience

Thank You
BCGA Executive

toplefttopfilltopright
Ottawa police blow up Geocache on bridge.
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
coast2coast2coast

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Ottawa police blow up Geocache on bridge. Reply with quote

This raised a few eybrows in Ottawa. CBC news article it was on the CBC National news tonight.

I think we should be proactive and remove any questionable caches in BC before we get a "black eye" like Ottawa did... I know of at least 3 caches in the valley that are on bridges... If we don't clean up questionable caches we might lose all the good work we have put in to getting Geocaching accepted by the gov.

C2C2C
scruffster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Ottawa police blow up Geocache on bridge. Reply with quote

That's a good point. Geocaching.com states that geocaches should not be placed in railway terminals and such. Major bridges, dams, government offices & substations are not an ideal place for a geocache.

With the Olympics coming up, a lot of paranoid enforcement officers and sniffer dogs will be checking every corner of the Olympic structures. For that reason, it might be a good idea NOT to hide a geocache around any olympic venue until the Olympics are over.

Hmmmm. If we could get permission from the Olympic committee in advance then perhaps we could get geocaching in the world wide spotlight. **stars twinkle in scruffy's eyes** A treasure hunt for the athletes???

But seriously, I wouldn't plant a cache without the Olympic committee having full disclosure and giving geocachers permission to hide a cache beforehand.
coast2coast2coast

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Ottawa police blow up Geocache on bridge. Reply with quote

I never even thought about the Olympics( they are in a far off land where you need to take a boat to get there Razz ) … I wonder how may caches were placed in what is now an Olympic venue… you are right... The whole venue will get a pretty serious checking out by the RCMP.
C2C2C
Fish

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Ottawa police blow up Geocache on bridge. Reply with quote

There was a small magnetic cache on the Mcdonald Bridge in Halifax a couple of years ago... as long as everyone is smart about it and does not hide something that looks like a bomb... then it should all be good...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Ottawa police blow up Geocache on bridge. Reply with quote

Well I guess it's up to us cachers to be proactive. If I knew of suspect caches I would try contacting the owner and if needed the reviewer to have it removed ASAP. So far the only one I know of is a dummy bolt micro. Shouldn't be a problem in MY opinion.

Archiving such a cache is bad though. I think it would be better for a reviewer to post a note for it too be removed by another cacher if the owner is non-responsive. That cacher can then request the archiving I guess.

If it we're in or at a 2010 Venue I would be a little concerned but it's way out here on the island so it's all good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1