CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» Accidental find
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Lotusland Lotus
Lotusland Lotus:  [?] . Butchart Gardens [M | C]  Minter Gardens [M | C]  Sun Yat-Sun [M | C]  VanDusen [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Worldcaching.com
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» Accidental find
toplefttopfilltopright
Accidental find
Have question about how to use your GPS, hide a cache or solve a problem, let the local experts try to help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vnm747

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Accidental find Reply with quote

After a failed attempt on a multi in a local park, was walking back to the car and stopped to explore some small clearings in the forest. At the third clearing I found a cache. Turned out to be the final of a different multi!

Well, I just stood there for a while, then signed logbook and reported a find when I got home. This cache wasn't even loaded in gpsr as it looked like it was above my abilities and much driving was involved.

Wondering about guidelines or protocols for this kind of thing...or am I making a mountain out of a molehill.
CAMOKELLY

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Accidental find Reply with quote

In my opinion a find is a find. Whether you used a GPS or not you found it. It's like the little inscriptions we add to caches say. "You found it intentionally or not you found it. Feel free to take something but leave something in return and log your find on www.geocaching.com".
CAMOKELLY

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Accidental find Reply with quote

Oh ya forgot to add that while hunting for a place to put a new cache I found a final to a multi as well. I logged it as a find and noted that I found it while looking for a spot to hide one.
vnm747

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Accidental find Reply with quote

Hey, thanks. Totally forgot the line about "intentionally or not". And nice to hear it's happened to others. Can rest easy now.
scruffster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Accidental find Reply with quote

I also found a cache accidently while looking for another cache. As it turned out the new cache was not far from one of the hardest puzzle caches in the Lower Mainland. Yep, I logged both.
theshiningstars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Accidental find Reply with quote

I think that's great. I find that I am constantly looking for likely spots for a cache when I am out without my GPS. Plus, it makes up for those times when you don't find one you're looking for!
legacypac

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Accidental find Reply with quote

A find is a find - and I've found a couple now I was not looking for specifically. Just log it and figure out what it is to log it online.

I've even found archived caches - they count as finds too - but those ones I CITO out and note that in the online log. It's kind of a rush to find a forgotten cache and be able to take it home with you.
Bestred

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Accidental find Reply with quote

You mention you CITO them out...do you give the cache back or keep it for yourself?
How would that work?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Accidental find Reply with quote

I found an archived cache so couldn't really leave the garbage there as cache owner is not in the area now. The container was fit for the bin but I did wash up a few trinkets and put them in another cache. There was no log book so I didn't count it as a find.

Now off to find that hard puzzle cache beside the one beside that Scuffster found.
legacypac

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Accidental find Reply with quote

Bestred wrote:
You mention you CITO them out...do you give the cache back or keep it for yourself?
How would that work?

So far all my archived finds have been on caches where the cacher placers that are out of the game and can't be contacted. I just add anything useful (swag, container) to my geocaching arsonal and redeploy. I would not rush out and grab a just archived cache - I look for ones that were long since archived by someone just shutting down the caches and quiting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?
Page 1 of 1