CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» recommend a used GPS unit for a beginner for about 150.00
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Kelowna & Ogopogo
Kelowna & Ogopogo:  [?] . Summer playground and home of mysterious lake monsters! [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» recommend a used GPS unit for a beginner for about 150.00
topleft topfill topright
LOG-IN DIFFICULTIES
Please be advised that we are currently having problems with some of our users not being able to log into the site. We apologize for this, we are working to address the situation. Thank you for your patience

Thank You
BCGA Executive

toplefttopfilltopright
recommend a used GPS unit for a beginner for about 150.00
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andre66

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: recommend a used GPS unit for a beginner for about 150.00 Reply with quote

Hi there,
always been interested in geocaching and i would like to start with my 8 yr old son. Any suggestions about used GPS's that would do the job in my 150.00 price range?
Thank you
Andre
landsharkz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: recommend a used GPS unit for a beginner for about 150.0 Reply with quote

andre66 wrote:
Hi there,
always been interested in geocaching and i would like to start with my 8 yr old son. Any suggestions about used GPS's that would do the job in my 150.00 price range?
Thank you
Andre
Andre, A used LegendC or VistaC would fit your requirement. We have a couple - I bought one on EBay for $100USD last year that we use for students (middle school exploratories) and adult continuing Ed. You can load caches and maps and they're easy to use. The young students get the hang of them very quickly. We were working our way around the classroom, showing them how to manually enter the coordinates, and the last group had already figured it out by the time one of us go to them Cool . The only issues we have (and it may be a big one for you) is that we lose satellite reception in the heavy canopy of coastal forests and the Legend and Vista take longer than the newer units to lock a location with the satellites. It is a good entry level unit though and works well in light tree cover. Our experience with them losing satellites is from the coastal rainforests of Vancouver Island so if you're in the interior it may not be an issue.
I'm not sure what a used 60CSx would go for but it would be a considerable step up to a very fine unit that holds satellites almost anywhere except the middle of Costco and gets a satellite lock much faster.
DelMarNorth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: recommend a used GPS unit for a beginner for about 150.0 Reply with quote

www.gpscity.ca/refurbished-gps

There is a refurb ETrex Vista for $130 that should be available in a few days. Always had good experiences with GPSCity too.
landsharkz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: recommend a used GPS unit for a beginner for about 150.0 Reply with quote

GPS City is one of this site's regular advertisers, so if you do go there, make sure and tell them you saw their ad on the BCGA site Wink
Technic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: recommend a used GPS unit for a beginner for about 150.0 Reply with quote

I used an eTrex Vista for my first 100 finds. I had no problem with it. I was gifted a somewhat better Garmin since, but I still pack the Vista with me, and on occasion have used it with better results than with my "better" Garmin.
I also saw, within the last week or two, a flyer in the newspaper that had a new Garmin GPS (foget the model) advertised for $75.00. For a beginner, if you can manually enter the coordinates into it, it will work for you, although most (if not all) Garmins will come with a USB cable and then you can go to geocaching.com and have the cache coordinates downloaded directly to your GPS.
Welcome to the sport, game? and have fun. I am enjoying it very much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1