CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» Regional —» Lower Mainland / Coast Mountains —» Car Rally
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Kelowna & Ogopogo
Kelowna & Ogopogo:  [?] . Summer playground and home of mysterious lake monsters! [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Landsharkz Coins and Geocaching Gear
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
October 2014
SMTWTFS
01 02 03 04
05 06 07 08 09 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

Fri Oct 31, 2014
Event Halloween

Tue Nov 11, 2014
Event Remembrance Day

Forums —» Regional —» Lower Mainland / Coast Mountains —» Car Rally
toplefttopfilltopright
Car Rally

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scruffster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Car Rally Reply with quote

I will be hosting a car rally on Saturday, September 6th. There will be 20 cars maximum allowed. So, if you would like to participate and you know a lot of geocachers, please think about car pooling so we can get as many people involved as possible. The cache event page will be posted shortly.

EDIT -- Due to circumstances beyond my control I had to change the date one week later. It is Saturday September 6th.

Last edited by scruffster on Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
marmi_and_tas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Car Rally Reply with quote

marmi&tas will be there and have room for 3 extra passengers and maybe a dog (owner brings the shampoo Very Happy )
scruffster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Car Rally Reply with quote

Actually, most of the waypoints I've picked out will be a paradise for dogs. Maybe a bit too much walking for people, though. **teehee** This rally will not be park and grab. There will be some walking involved. However, I made sure the terrain level is moderate.
geodug

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Car Rally Reply with quote

OK, I'll nibble. Where can I get more details?
scruffster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Car Rally Reply with quote

The event page will be up shortly. Ms. Turbos and I took a circle tour today and found out that the route may be a bit long -- even for those diehards that can do 100 caches an hour. **snarfle** We are trying to make it, on average, a 4 hour jaunt. Five at the most.
911turbos

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Car Rally Reply with quote

Long????? I don't think I can walk anymore..... He didn't even let me stop for lunch and that is usually his complaint.
scruffster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Car Rally Reply with quote

The cache page is up and most of the rally is planned. I'm surprised that almost one quarter of the spots were taken within 10 minutes of publication.
scruffster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Car Rally Reply with quote

There are only a few spots left. If you'd like to participate in the car rally I suggest you act fast.

I've gone through the route three times now. The planning is done and it is just a matter of getting a few final technical details finalized. This should be fun for all involved -- if you finish it. **teehee**
Bestred

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Car Rally Reply with quote

Best Red and TESKELLY will be there with the kids (Travellin' Freckles and Travel T) We have room for 2 more if ya don't mind the dog.
scruffster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Car Rally Reply with quote

I've heard many things through the grapevine. It looks like there are more than a few teams taking this rally seriously. There have been secret meetings going on. Backroom deals. At least nobody has tried to bribe the judges yet.

Just what will it take to win? I'll be updating the Rally pages soon. Stay tuned, there will be clues and strategy.

Only one team will get the grand certificate saying that they and they alone beat 80 other people on this very difficult task. The team that wins will be able to claim the first ever Tailspin FTF, BTW. An event FTF??? Why not? They'll be the fastest and should be able to claim a First to Find.
Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Car Rally Reply with quote

So just where are those clues.. lol or are they hidden on the page in secret script..
hollyburn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Car Rally Reply with quote

The event was so much fun. Thanks Scruff and Turbos for all your hard work in pulling it all together!
MsChief-Gps_y

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Car Rally Reply with quote

Great job by everyone- the organizers, the participants...all in all a great fun day. It sure made for some fine stories. Wink And some really fine photo's posted. Looking forward to the rest of them.
I'd find it more interesting to see the breakdown of the results. Total time with the bonus and demerits then final tally. Could that be posted too?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Car Rally Reply with quote

Ms. Turbos and I picked up the caches yesterday. It almost killed me. **snarfle** That is six times I've done the route. Does that mean I can log attended event five times?

If this is done again, there is a possibility that a flat fee would be charged. The fee would include lunch at the end. We're not looking to profit from the race. The fee would cover the cost of prizes food and supplies.

So, I'd like to ask the people that took place in the rally if they would be willing to pay somewhere between 25 and 35 dollars per car. The price per person would depend on how many people are in the team.
scruffster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Car Rally Reply with quote

I almost forgot. I do have the papers that show the deductions. There weren't many. A few teams used one hint (minus 15 minutes) and the winning team did not try the locks so their time was without the 30 minute bonus. The last team to come in did not have the last three stamps. They gave up.
Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Car Rally Reply with quote

I think the small fee is only fair - $25 for a carload of people is not a lot works out to about $6 or $7 a person. We would be more then happy too contribute

It was great that everyone at this event combined teams in each vehicle to get the most people involved.
geodug

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Car Rally Reply with quote

The event was more than great Scruffy. You and MrsTurbos and everyone else involved did a stellar job. Putting an event together on a shoestring budget is hard enough, but you guys went far beyond what I expected.

The only thing I would have done differently is individually locked the padlocks to the chain link fence at Waypoint 1 on the Green Stream. Each team would have their own unique combination to find. That way there would not have been the bottleneck there was on the North Shore.

Geocaching today is in need of something fresher and newer to extend its scope beyond what is already being done.

Actually, what I am thinking is that you take this idea of yours and introduce another wrinkle or two to it. Maybe increase the fee just slightly so you can have more scope to work with. You may think about bringing more people in to help at the brainstorming level, but if your experience is like mine, a dictatorship works more efficiently.

For next year how about using the technology that is just coming out now? We have 3G and EVDO networks becoming common these days. You could have a couple of laptops at one of the waypoints and test contestants ability to Google some arcane and obscure term or phrase. Why not, as puzzle cache solvers do this routinely?

Lots of ideas, just ask the members.
scruffster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Car Rally Reply with quote

Yea, in ten years we may be able to do a WHEREIGO cach rally but unfortunately there's nothing here yet **stomping my feet**

I'm full of ideas but it is a matter of volunteers. I will not tell you what the ideas are but, well, they're really good.
geodug

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Car Rally Reply with quote

Don't get too excited by WHEREIGO caches yet. Our GeoWoodstock crew did the one and only cartridge in the Sacramento area. It was good but not earth shattering. Since our visit in May it is still the only one in the area.

It might be that the cache creators haven't hit their stride yet with the WHEREIGO's but from the feedback I don't think these caches are "burning down the house".

That plus you have to have a Colorado/Oregon GPS or equivalent to do these kind of caches. Not a lot of folks have these units so it is kinda limiting so far. I can't wait to see Huggy's "North Dakota" GPS. I hear it works everywhere except South Dakota.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Lower Mainland / Coast Mountains
Page 1 of 1