CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» Question about Garmins
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Pyramid Falls
Pyramid Falls:  [?] . During the heyday of rail travel, Canadian Pacific trains always slowed at Pyramid Falls to give tourists a photo oppurtunity. For this reason, Pyramid Falls beat out Niagra as the most photographed waterfall in Canada. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Caching Containers
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» Question about Garmins
toplefttopfilltopright
Question about Garmins
Have question about how to use your GPS, hide a cache or solve a problem, let the local experts try to help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Team K1W1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Question about Garmins Reply with quote

I currently have a Lowrance H20C but want to get a newer GPS (with SiRF chipset). One of the things I like about my Lowrance is that I can have multiple sets of waypoints stored on my SD chip and can load and unload them as needed. i.e. I have a set of 400 geocaches closest to my home in New West, on the same card I can have 400 centered around Hope, waypoints to get into a 4x4 lake etc I don't have to think about what set I have loaded as I can change them as needed.

Is there a way to do this on the newer Garmins??
I had a look at Miss_Chiefs 60csx and I couldn't see a way to do it.

Thanks
Steve
goaliegirl38

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about Garmins Reply with quote

Great question!! I was wondering the same thing... I can do it on my Magellan Explorist 400, but am looking at upgrading. Since the new Magellans seem to be very sub-par at the moment, I'm starting to look at the Garmins too. Hopefully someone can help us out!

Shannon
MaliBooBoo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Question about Garmins Reply with quote

Well with the Colorado you can load 2000 geocaches (including ALL the info for each one) as well as 1000 other waypoints. That'd probably cover it.

For geocaches, you would save the entire Pocket Query file of 500 caches onto the unit.

IMO, the Colorado is wonderful for geocaching but currently sub-standard for anything else such as hiking or fieldwork but perhaps those deficiencies will be dealt with in an upcoming software update. (My fingers are crossed).

Other Garmin models generally have a waypoint limit of 1000, including geocaches.
Technic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about Garmins Reply with quote

I am not to sure what K1W1 is trying to get at, but there is a way to get an unlimited number of wayapoints into the Garmin GPS. I have a GPSmap 60Cx and besides the normal geocaches that I have loaded into it via GSAK, I also have 16 different databases loaded as Custom POIs. With GSAK, I send all "unfound and active" caches within 50 miles of my home to the GPS. These will go into my GPS as "geocaches". Then I have built more than a dozen queries on GC.com and when needed have them e-mailed to me.

Rather than repeating myself I will "copy and paste" a quote from some notes I made to myself regarding "Custom POIs".

To create custom points of interest (POI) to download to GPS create them using MapSource, or get them from GC.com as mentioned above. Save them in GPX format in a folder in My Documents, Garmin, Custom POI. Then using POI loader (available for free from the Garmin web site) you can download them from the said folder on your PC and into the SD memory card in the GPS. Run POI loader and follow instructions and select “Install new custom POI’s”. You don’t have to select anything such as any specific SD card in GPS. Make sure the GPS (i.e. …..60Cx…)is shown in the drop down window. Remember: When you load anything into the Custom POI storage on your GPSr SD card it will overwrite all custom POIs already on the SD card. Therefore, make sure that all custom POI files on your PC are current and up to date, and all are in the one and same folder (Custom POI) on your PC.

You can delete all custom POIs from the SD card by using the POI loader as well. Run POI loader and follow instructions but select “Remove all custom POI’s”.

You can save unlimited amount of Geocaches here as well. They work a bit differently when being used in the GPS, but at least you can save more than the 1000 limit. If you want to use a geocache from the custom geocache POI file, use Find, Custom Points of Interest, Menu, Select Database, select cache. At this point you can use Go TO to go to cache, or to make it act more like a real geocache, press Save. It now transfers itself from the SD card to the GPSr memory and becomes a waypoint, and assigns a caching symbol to it. Now you can click Go To and it now goes into geocache mode, doing nearly everything as if it was saved in the Geocache folder.

Hope this helps. If you need further clarification, let me know and I will see what I can do.
goaliegirl38

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Question about Garmins Reply with quote

MaliBooBoo wrote:
Well with the Colorado you can load 2000 geocaches (including ALL the info for each one) as well as 1000 other waypoints. That'd probably cover it.

For geocaches, you would save the entire Pocket Query file of 500 caches onto the unit.

So does this mean you can save 4 PQ's and that is your 2000 geocaches?

Right now I'm leaning towards the Colorado, I love the idea of being able to have just one unit with me instead of the GPSr and Palm! Just trying to wait and see what the next wave of updates for both it and the Triton's come up with. Confused
MaliBooBoo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Question about Garmins Reply with quote

Quote::

So does this mean you can save 4 PQ's and that is your 2000 geocaches?

Yeah, that's right. And as you travel around you can delete the un-needed PQ and replace it with one for where you are going and vice versa. The Colorado IS great for geocaching.

This may sound like crazy talk considering how recently the Colorado was released, but there are now rumours of Garmin releasing a NEW premium handheld GPSr, similar to the Colorado in a lot of ways but with a touch screen and microSD. I initially thought it must be a joke/hoax but it seems to be true. It is apparently called the Oregon; google it!

Oh well, a touch screen doesn't do much for me anyways. I just wish Garmin would finish fixing the Colorado to make it good for everything else a GPSr should be for!
Team K1W1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about Garmins Reply with quote

So if I understand Tecnic's post - with a Garmin like the 60cx or 76cx (something with a micro SD card) you can have multiple custom sets of POI's which are waypoints, and they can be loaded or unloaded on the fly without the need for hooking the GPSr to a computer.
Sounds like it will work for my needs.

Thanks
Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?
Page 1 of 1