CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Gas Prices & Geocaching
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Spotted Lake
Spotted Lake:  [?] . Rapid evaporation of Spotted Lake during the summer months results in crystallized rings surrounding multicoloured pools. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Gas Prices & Geocaching
topleft topfill topright
LOG-IN DIFFICULTIES
Please be advised that we are currently having problems with some of our users not being able to log into the site. We apologize for this, we are working to address the situation. Thank you for your patience

Thank You
BCGA Executive

toplefttopfilltopright
Gas Prices & Geocaching
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will you change your geo-habits because of fuel prices?
No I will cache like I always have
43%
 43%  [ 14 ]
Yes, I will cache in groups to split cost
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Yes, I will cache less
25%
 25%  [ 8 ]
Yes, I will change to more efficient car
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
Yes -- Other (respond in forum to explain!)
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 32

_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:23 am    Post subject: Gas Prices & Geocaching Reply with quote

Holy ~@#(*#!!!!!

Went to pay some bills online today, and opened my Chevron Credit Card Bill.

To put this in perspective our family has 1 Honda Pilot (wife's, local only, not driven to work, just around home mostly) and I was driving a Kia Sportage (small Suv). (Have since sold that for a sub-compact).

The previous months bill was $237.

This months....$426!!!!

Now we don't recall doing that much more driving this past month, maybe there were a couple of local field trips for school out to Langley and such.
The 8 fill ups were all my normal locations and I probably even filled up at a non Chevron at least once so that is not even on the bill. This does not include my recent trip to Sacramento (that was in new Honda Fit anyways).

I don't know about you, but seeing this really makes me think about how I will do this hobby in the future. More 'days out with friends' to nab a bunch at once and share the cost of fuel. No more running way across town to nab an FTF or something interesting.

I don't know about the companies you work for, but mine only gives increase in pay that about meet the 'official' inflation rate in Canada, which as we all know does not include a lot of stuff we all use and pay for, such as fuel.

This really hurts in the old wallet.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Prices & Geocaching Reply with quote

I used to smoke Embarassed . (Quit for 2 and a half years now). The price of cigarettes increased quite a bit over time, and as they did it had no effect on how much I smoked because I was addicted. Perhaps geocaching will be much the same for me. Fortunately, I generally drive a car that is "cheap" on gas.

Hopefully, as gas prices rise there will be fewer and fewer SUVs driving around the Lower Mainland and monster pick up trucks driving around the north where I live, with single occupants.
Love Bugs

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Prices & Geocaching Reply with quote

The price of fuel will curtail what caches I do . We have a Ford Pu 4x4 that we use to get the out of the way caches, those have now been taken off our to do list as we have basicly parked the truck. We now use the wifes Accent for caching, good fuel mileage but it being a newer car, 2007 model I wil not take it on gravel roads for caching. So much for getting hte caches up the west side of Harrison Lake.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Prices & Geocaching Reply with quote

I really regret ditching the old Honda Accord. Yes it was about to die, and getting 4x4 caches in it would have meant leaving it somewhere on the backside of Chilliwack, but at least it didn't suck back the gas.
vanislelady

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Prices & Geocaching Reply with quote

Well I tend to cache alone a lot but driving a jeep has it's downsides in regards to fuel consumption...however getting to those out of the way caches is not a problem .... I do have my motorbike and when I am out for the day I generally try to get those caches that are Motorbike friendly if I can....I have been caching with others a lot in the last few months and it is a cheaper way to go as well as lotf more fun having company along.....
dloubert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Prices & Geocaching Reply with quote

I will just have to cache in large amounts rather than a few trips for a few caches... Wink Also caching with others to ofset the cost. Adiction can be costly.......
grafinator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Prices & Geocaching Reply with quote

I think I might try the group caching thing, or when I do go out on the weekends for caching, I will have to plan a route that has more caches to make it worth my while.
When it costs 55 bucks to fill up a Honda Civic things are getting a little absurd. I know that is cheap compared to some vehicles, but its a flippin' Honda Civic.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Prices & Geocaching Reply with quote

The price of gas has stopped me from going out for single new caches that become active. Now I wait until I'm going that way to grab a cache.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Prices & Geocaching Reply with quote

Traded in my Ranger for a Corolla, which has helped on the costs, but it is still insane! Think I will be making more planned attacks on areas with multiple caches, or getting my workout on the bike to hit the local ones!
marcjboudreau

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Prices & Geocaching Reply with quote

If the cost of fuel is the issue, how about just leaving the car at home and using your bike, or taking transit? I can count on the fingers of one hand how often I've taken the van to go caching. Just means a little more exercise and there isn't anything wrong with that.
So, I guess my answer is No the cost of fuel won't affect me geocaching a bit.
loungelions

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Prices & Geocaching Reply with quote

Hubby uses transit to get to work and I walk to work, so the only time we use the car is to go geocaching, errands, shopping etc. We have a Honda Fit, so it is fairly cheap to run but we have always done multiple caches in the same area, so it won't change what we are doing... for now, anyway.
Love Bugs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Prices & Geocaching Reply with quote

Man I would love to use transit to cache, but from the valley once you get all the caches in your area you are screwed as far as transit goes. On weekends to get from Abbotsford to Port Moody would take you 3-4 hours. My son lives in ancouver and for him to get the skytrain, then all the bus transfers it takes 3 hours to make it to Langley to visit us, needless to say he does not come out very often. I guess that is one of the little things we have to put up with living in the valley.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Prices & Geocaching Reply with quote

I have a pick up truck and get 27 MPG highway. Since I have picked up most of the caches that are drive up in or near the city, I am resorting to the hills which cuts into the fuel economy considerably. I got a few FTF by rushing out at any cost, but that has come to a stop as well. Unless the new cache is in a unique area, where I would like to hike anyway, or of a unique nature, I usually wait a while to see if there might be any more published in that area and then go. And then there are the ones where you don't get it the first go around, I might go a second time, but if it requires multiple trips, I say to H3// with it until I might have a good reason to go back.
All in all, being on a fixed income, I would say that the gas prices has impacted on my lifestyle as a Geocacher.
kittyclan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Prices & Geocaching Reply with quote

I have a daycare, and so I drive an E350 15 passenger van that cost 40 cents to go 1 km, at $1.30/l. I very seldom go caching unless I am already heading that way, and when I do need to go somewhere, I make sure to bring all the info for whatever caches are in the area or on the way, and do as many as I can, as well as any other errands I can on the way. I will occassionally take the kids and find an area not too far away with several caches and make it a caching day or at least a caching morning, and I will also occassionally go and look for a new cache, if it is not too far away, but try to also do other errands along the way so I don't have to go out again. I have been caching this way for over a year now, and fuel costs are definately stopping me from caching as much as I'd like to.
I only wish they would make at least a 10 passenger smart car! Or a bigger hybrid mini van or something! Maybe I'll get a horse and a big wagon. Probably cost less to take care of the horse, wonder if the neighbours would mind? Smile
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Prices & Geocaching Reply with quote

Oh I don't know, your missing the obvious! A team of 14 kids should be able to pull you around in your horse cart and they get fed by somebody else! Wink

Seems the economical solution to me! Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Prices & Geocaching Reply with quote

Now that might be fun! Laughing
But I suppose I could get in trouble when I pass people on the road with a bunch of kids harnessed to a cart. Shocked
Chilcotinsam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Prices & Geocaching Reply with quote

Now thats being creative! I try to always drive the cheapest vehicle and the one currently with the most gas and the one that is running half decent. I have taken up biking but because of location still need to drive but biking helps to get to the cache faster and complete more caches in 1 day thereby being more productive I hope. But as one who is also addicted to this fun sport I try to ignore the price of gas while caching...but curtail or minimize other non-caching trips...or ride my bike for those to SAVE the gas for caching!! And carefully studying areas which are heavily cache infested so that when I go there I can be busy. WHen work sends me out of town I make sure I grab some caches along the way also. My summer holidays will be carefully planned around...what else? Geocaching!! The sport MUST continue!! (laughs crazily)
MsChief-Gps_y

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Prices & Geocaching Reply with quote

My life takes me to various areas of the Lower Mainland and I usually cache along the way there and back as many as time or placements allow so I will be caching and driving about the same. What I really need is Time. A difficulty for most of us I think, lol

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1