CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» Adding Information to SD Chip
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Legislative Buildings
Legislative Buildings:  [?] . 3,300 light bulbs outline the exterior of British Columbia's Parliament Buildings. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» Adding Information to SD Chip
topleft topfill topright
LOG-IN DIFFICULTIES
Please be advised that we are currently having problems with some of our users not being able to log into the site. We apologize for this, we are working to address the situation. Thank you for your patience

Thank You
BCGA Executive

toplefttopfilltopright
Adding Information to SD Chip
Have question about how to use your GPS, hide a cache or solve a problem, let the local experts try to help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bearandducky

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: Adding Information to SD Chip Reply with quote

I have a Garmin Vista HCX. I bought a SD Chip but not from Garmin but Future Shop. Now I want to add maps to the chip. How do I do this?

Thanks

Bear
QuigleyJones

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Adding Information to SD Chip Reply with quote

Best way would be to install the maps, open mapsource select the map segments you want, and click send to GPS.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding Information to SD Chip Reply with quote

bearandducky wrote:
I have a Garmin Vista HCX. I bought a SD Chip but not from Garmin but Future Shop. Now I want to add maps to the chip. How do I do this?

Thanks

Bear
I don't think it matters where you buy the SD chip. My Garmin came shipped with a 128MB SanDisk brand of micro SD chip. I have since bought another micro SD card, this time it is a 2GB. I don't know how big of a memory chip Garmin can address, but the 2GB works very well. I use MapSource , and loaded the whole of Canada metroguide, which I bought, into the GPS via the USB cable and it only takes up less than 16% of the 2GB memory. 2GB seems plenty.

As the previous responder mentioned, use MapSource. Since you have maps to upload to the GPS one can assume you have either MapSource Topo or Metro Guide. I am familiar with Metroguide. You open MapSource, select the MAP Tool in the TOOLS menu. Highlight the sections of map you want to send to your GPS. Then use the SEND TO DEVICE icon and send the selected maps to your GPS.
Technic

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding Information to SD Chip Reply with quote

Bearandlucky, I should have mentioned, too, that you can put the micro SD card into an adaptor and put it into your PC and send the maps to the chip directly. It works, but there is no point in that since it is easier to send them via MapSource and a USB cable to your GPS.
If you use the PC method, however, make sure you have a directory called GARMIN on your micro SD chip. This is where the maps are saved. Then you use MapSource and using the SEND TO DEVICE icon you can send the maps to the designated drive letter for your chip.
By the way, in my experience, when you send a map to the GPS memory card (chip) it will overwrite the maps what you had there before. It doesn't seem to be accumlative.
bearandducky

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Adding Information to SD Chip Reply with quote

I have been trying so send the whole Topo map to the chip so where ever I am its already there. Is this possible or do I chose sections?
Technic

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Adding Information to SD Chip Reply with quote

Using MapSource MetroGuide, for example, the one I am familiar with, you use the "Map" tool in the "Tools" menu to click on and highlight each section you want to send to your GPS. When you have highlighted the sections you want, in your case it seems all of them, you use the "Send to Device" icon on the tool bar near the top, or "Send to Device" tool in the "Transfer" menu to send the selected sections to your GPS. I doesn't take too long.

One word of caution, if you have some map sections already sent to the GPS and you want to add to them, you need to re-select all the sections, including those already in your GPS because whatever you send will overwrite the maps already there. Exception is that you can't overwrite the base map, so don't worry about that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?
Page 1 of 1