CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Listing Caches
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Tofino
Tofino:  [?] . Visit Pacific Rim National Park near Tofino. Kilometers of unspoiled beaches. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Landsharkz Coins and Geocaching Gear
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Listing Caches
toplefttopfilltopright
Listing Caches
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marcjboudreau

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Listing Caches Reply with quote

I was wondering if any thought was ever given to this website or the BCGA providing a listing service for caches just here in BC? I know there is a link to the ones on gc.com but I was wondering if you thought of listing them here as well?
If the BCGA provided the listing service it would allow for caches they may not meet the approval of gc.com. It would also allow for cache types that gc.com no longer wishes to list. Like Vancouver Transit for instance.
Having more local control over caching in BC to me would be an all around good thing. As policies on gc.com change they may not change in a way that will better the caching experience here in BC, and since they have to take a more global view that's as it should be.
I'd personally love to see BCGA become the main listing service for caches here in BC. Why shouldn't caching in BC be run by cacher's here in BC?
gotlost001

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Listing Caches Reply with quote

It looks like you have this game all figured out, maybe you should start your own cache listing site and then you can make your own rules. Cool
scruffster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Listing Caches Reply with quote

The BCGA does link to other sites such as Navicache. However, last time I checked there were only three caches in BC listed on that site.

Groundspeak's rules are quite basic and don't really hinder cache placements other than private property or the safety of geocachers in general.

There are, of course, cache types such as Reverse (virtuals) that are no longer part of geocaching.com's listing. I miss virtual caches as I enjoyed running around with a camera looking for certain items and structures. But virtuals will be back in the form of Wherigo caches.

The BCGA is here to provide resources to encourage safe, environmentally friendly geocaching. There would be no way we could monitor geocaches which go out of the boundaries of the groundspeak rules but yet we would be partly responsible if we listed them on our website. Besides, the BCGA is not interested in becoming it's own geocaching listing site.

All in all, Groundspeak has been very open to the various rules and regulations that govern different countries around the world and this is why they have specific approvers that are aware of any special regulations that may be in one state, province or country but not another.

The BCGA works very closely with our groundspeak approver and make sure he is informed of any changes in park or civic policies. This has worked out well for British Columbia as our various park boards across the province and country have used groundspeak's guidelines as a template for writing their own policies.

I cannot speak for the other BCGA directors but I would be hesitant to post any caches that don't meet basic groundspeak guidelines.

Last edited by scruffster on Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
QuigleyJones

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Listing Caches Reply with quote

It would be a lot of work with little benefit.

Theres two alternatives right there in the column
<---
Terracaching.com: has some success in other places, not here. you could put Vancouver Transit in but you would get maybe one finder.

Navicache.com: some success in europe but mostly has the same caches as geocaching.com and nobody uses it here. (and I do mean nobody)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Listing Caches Reply with quote

gotlost001 wrote:
It looks like you have this game all figured out, maybe you should start your own cache listing site and then you can make your own rules. Cool

I'm just going to assume this is supposed to have the sarcasm font around it. If it was meant seriously, then I'm not sure why you're taking the concept of another listing service personally.

I'd like to see the BCGA become the home for caching in BC. I know at this point that all is well at gc.com and I'm glad for that, but as the rules change it'd be nice to have a place where the only interests that have to be appeased are those here in BC. Like I've said gc.com has to take a far larger view, but the day is going to come that what works for Groundspeak does not make sense for caching here in BC, and then what. I just think by listing caches here that it would give BC cachers more of a voice and allow for a wider vision.
I do use both Terracaching and Navicaching, the first cache I hide myself will be listed on Terracaching.com
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Listing Caches Reply with quote

I actually had a website 'movingcache.com' where a cache was found, picked up, and moved (some flagging tape put in its place to indicate it was moved if it was hunted before new log was posted)

It never really took off, had maybe 50 caches placed around Canada, & USA.

I think I still have the code somewhere. Was not pretty but it did maps, showed milage, you could do searches, kept timers (from find to hide) etc.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Listing Caches Reply with quote

Lower Mainland Geocaching had several moving caches but most of them went the way of the dodo bird. They were really fun to find when they would move into my area but often they were hidden too far away.
marcjboudreau

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Listing Caches Reply with quote

I think virtuals are a good example of a type of cache that had quite a following, and are no longer allowed, well except there is waymarking now.
A listing of say "Famous BC Sights" as a virtual here would provide a great databases of BC POIs. If the virt. required the coords of the sight as well as a picture.
I remember movingcache.com. The moving caches are another good example of a cache type that had an appeal here locally, that exists no longer.
South Surrey Scavengers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Listing Caches Reply with quote

I liked the moving caches that used to be at Lower Mainland Geocachers. I found all of them at least once. As has been pointed out, movingcache.com did not have much success however, and when the site went up for sale/adoption there seemed to be little interest. Too bad really, while moving caches don't have the universal appeal of other geocaches there is certainly a group in existence that would play the game.

As far as virtuals go, it was another category that I liked when it was part of geocaching.com. Now that waymarking has come along and possibly wherigo which gives virtuals another place to live I don't feel the same urge to go find them now that there are so many and are not part of the main geocaching.com site.

As far as being a listing service, I can't speak for the BCGA but it is definitely a completely different ballgame between being a listing site and a place for cachers to meet and chat, etc. I favour as marc does having control over listings in BC be more local but achieving that is another matter. You would be competing against geocaching.com and you would have to deal with a myriad of issues being a listing site. It may seem simple to just list a bunch of caches, but I expect the time and effort to make it happen is way more than you would expect.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1