CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Terracaching members?
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Legislative Buildings
Legislative Buildings:  [?] . 3,300 light bulbs outline the exterior of British Columbia's Parliament Buildings. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Caching Containers
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Terracaching members?
toplefttopfilltopright
Terracaching members?
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marcjboudreau

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Terracaching members? Reply with quote

Anyone on here members of Terracaching.com? Just curious.
I joined a few days ago and while there are very few terracaches here in BC, I hope to start placing a few in the next couple of months.
hollyburn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Terracaching members? Reply with quote

There hasn't been much action in the lower mainland. The cache Quigley Jones had in QE Park only had 2-3 visits over many months. If you place caches in the the lower mainland then I will have a look for them.
marcjboudreau

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Terracaching members? Reply with quote

I've accepted the fact that placing terracaches aren't going to see as many visitors as ones posted to gc.com.
My decision to place terracaches is due to the huge saturation of geocaches here, there are like 2600 in an 80km radius. I'm not a huge fan of monopolies, so I'd like to see some of the other listing sites grow.
Also I like the quality idea that terracaching is promoting. I haven't had a lot of finds yet, about 40 on gc.com but only 2 or three stand out as being quality caches. The rest, well they were good practice using my gps but that's about it.
I was under the impression that you were supposed to trade up when taking something from a cache but considering the amount of golf balls, golf tees, pennies and just plain "doggy doo" I've seen in geocaches so far, not sure that's really happening.
I have my first terracache already to go, have a few spots in mind for placing it. As soon as it's out I'll start putting together another one. Someone has to be the pioneer after all. GC.com didn't start off with as many caches as it has now, it's been a long process. Given enough time and enough people some of the other listing sites will grow as well.
Here's hoping that a few of the members here will decide to try their luck on terracaching.com!
See you on the trails.
gotlost001

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Terracaching members? Reply with quote

marcjboudreau wrote:
I haven't had a lot of finds yet, about 40 on gc.com but only 2 or three stand out as being quality caches. The rest, well they were good practice using my gps but that's about it.
I have found close to 700 caches and yes some are of poor quality but I can honesty say the 500 of them took me to places I would not have otherwise visited. One I found a few days ago introduced me to a great park near my house I had never seen before. It is not always about the swag, its trhe places you see and most of all the people you meet. Thanks Geocaching.com for the fun times and friendships I have made over the last 2 years. Very Happy
marcjboudreau

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Terracaching members? Reply with quote

Ohh don't get me wrong it's definitely not about the geoswag. I rarely take anything from the cache. If the caches I've visited were in interesting locations or were interesting hides then I'm pretty happy. I guess I've been unfortunate so far to find 35 or so caches that weren't in the most interesting of locations.
I agree that I've ended up in a few pocket parks that I was unaware existed and that's kind of cool. Sometimes it just seems people are in such a hurry to get a cache out that they don't always find a cool spot or provide a unique hide. When I first started cacheing that concept was one of the major attractions, not the "stuff".
I will admit to being the world's worst geocacher and have probably dnf'd as many times as I've found stuff. But at the end of the day it's about being outdoors and tromping around that I like the most.
South Surrey Scavengers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Terracaching members? Reply with quote

I signed up for Terracaching a long time ago. At the time there were very few caches available in the lower mainland. Like maybe half a dozen. So I stopped looking at it for a couple of years. So I went back to it and of course forgot my password but got it reset. After logging in again I see QuigleyJones is one of my sponsors! I had no idea who that was at the time. Unfortunately I have only 1 sponsor now so I cannot do much with the site. I'll have to find another one to check out how the website is doing.

marcjboudreau

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Terracaching members? Reply with quote

Quote::
Unfortunately I have only 1 sponsor now so I cannot do much with the site. I'll have to find another one to check out how the website is doing.

I just became your 2nd sponsor....heh.
gotlost001

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Terracaching members? Reply with quote

I may be a little angry at Terracaching.com also because when I first started I signed up but was booted off after a short time because I didn't find any caches.
South Surrey Scavengers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Terracaching members? Reply with quote

marcjboudreau wrote:
Quote::
Unfortunately I have only 1 sponsor now so I cannot do much with the site. I'll have to find another one to check out how the website is doing.

I just became your 2nd sponsor....heh.

Hey, thanks. I see there are still very few caches available. Its about 20 km to the nearest one for me. I see also that my "Premium" membership expired. Darn.

marcjboudreau

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Terracaching members? Reply with quote

Not many around me either. There is one Virtual at the Steamclock in Gastown, I'll probably "find" it this week sometime.
There is another on Lady Peak, I planned on hiking Cheam at some point this summer so I'll probably grab that one then. I also make trips down to the US to do some backpacking and there are a few in places I plan on heading to this summer so those are also on the list.
I have a terracache already to go, just need to spend some time wandering around to find a cool place for it. Hopefully I'll get it out in the next week or so.
Have plans for my second one too. This one probably wouldn't be allowed on gc.com anyways cause they'd consider in a vacation cache. It's in the Stein valley. I do at least one backpacking trip a year into there and I already know where I'm going to hide it.
I just like the idea of virgin territory. I can place caches anywhere I like and not have to worry about conflictin with anyone else and like I said before I'm not a huge fan of monopolies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1