CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» CACHE BLITZ 2008
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Kelowna & Ogopogo
Kelowna & Ogopogo:  [?] . Summer playground and home of mysterious lake monsters! [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Worldcaching.com
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» CACHE BLITZ 2008
toplefttopfilltopright
CACHE BLITZ 2008
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scruffster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: CACHE BLITZ 2008 Reply with quote

The BCGA has published the regulations for the Cache Blitz 2008.

For the most part, the rules are the same as last year. There is one exception, however. MICRO CACHES WILL NOT BE PERMITTED. This may be a controversial decission since there are some great micro caches out there. But a great micro is often the exception rather than the norm.

Such as last year, we are stressing quality over quantity. You will have a better chance to win a prize with one great geocache rather than several mediocre placements. Please keep this in mind. Prizes get better every year. The Blitz has been very succesful in past years and it is our hope that this year will be no different. Good luck to everyone.

Geocaches published between April 1st and May 4th that comply with Groundspeak and BCGA rules will be applicable.

If anyone has questions or comments feel free to post them here. We'll do our best to answer all questions.
msthebrain and pinky

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: CACHE BLITZ 2008 Reply with quote

WHAT no stinking micros ?????
HuggyFamily

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: CACHE BLITZ 2008 Reply with quote

Scruff,

Since the original announcement, I have spent several evenings of my time working on some super-cool cache containers for the Blitz, and yes, one of them is a micro. So what do I do now?

I doth protest!!!!

Disappointed in Coquitlam,
(Hug Sr.)
gotlost001

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: CACHE BLITZ 2008 Reply with quote

I agree with the no micro policy. I cache with kids and lately there have been allot of micros and fewer regular caches. Just my 2 cents. Rolling Eyes
tjguy98

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: CACHE BLITZ 2008 Reply with quote

HuggyFamily wrote:
Scruff,

Since the original announcement, I have spent several evenings of my time working on some super-cool cache containers for the Blitz, and yes, one of them is a micro. So what do I do now?

I doth protest!!!!

Disappointed in Coquitlam,
(Hug Sr.)

You can still put it out right away just like always, it just won't be part of the Blitz. If you have a great trick micro I'd love to look for it, that's as long as I can find it and don't get a freaking DNF !! Laughing

scruffster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: CACHE BLITZ 2008 Reply with quote

I have no doubt that some people have excellent micros planned for the Blitz. However, it is the exception and not the norm that micros are of a quality to win a prize. For that reason we decided not to allow micros.

I'm truly sorry for anyone that planned to hide a micro but we just cant accept them for the Blitz. If you have a great micro go for it. You don't need the Blitz to get kudos. Everyone always appreciates a great cache regardless of the size.
HuggyFamily

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: CACHE BLITZ 2008 Reply with quote

Nothing that a roll of duct tape and some 3" spikes can't solve. I will make it a "Large"container!

Thanks Scruffy.
911turbos

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: CACHE BLITZ 2008 Reply with quote

Just remember that a cache larger than a micro needs to be big enough to allow for swag:

From the Groundspeak guidelines:

Cache sizes for all caches that have a physical container.

* Micro (35 mm film canister or smaller – less than approximately 3 ounces or .1 litres -- typically containing only a logbook)
* Small (Sandwich-sized Tupperware-style container or similar -- less than approximately 1 quart or litre -- holds trade items as well as a logbook)
* Regular (Tupperware-style container or ammo can)
* Large (5 gallon/20 litre bucket or larger)
hollyburn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: CACHE BLITZ 2008 Reply with quote

Micro as a stage of a multi ok or no?
911turbos

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: CACHE BLITZ 2008 Reply with quote

That is fine as long as the final location is a larger cache.
gearhedd

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: CACHE BLITZ 2008 Reply with quote

Twisted Evil there is one nice thing about micros, no good swag traded out and replaced with doo doo pardon my french.

There may be large caches that don't deserve to be in the Blitz, so that should not be a reason to disallow them. Some time micros are needed depending on the area. Or the area is urban and no ground cover to hide cache. Or the area has some history and that is the main reason for the owner of the cache to bring you there. SWAG is mostly for the kids any way.
That being said I'm fine with the rule. I didn't have any micros planned anyway LOL Shocked

I look forward to the Blitz..... and now to go hide some caches , hope my spots are not taken.
theshiningstars

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: CACHE BLITZ 2008 Reply with quote

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that there may be some large caches that don't deserve to be in the blitz. I haven't participated in a blitz before, but I thought the point of it was to have a lot of fun and get caching.
jojo88

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: CACHE BLITZ 2008 Reply with quote

Question: I noticed that (in the blitz) there was no catagory for coast mountains. If I was going to place a cache there, what would it be listed as? kootenays? LM?
scruffster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: CACHE BLITZ 2008 Reply with quote

The location, for the most part, lets us know which event you will be attending so we know where you'll pick up prizes. If you'll be attending the Vancouver event just put LM (Lower Mainland) or if you'll be attending the Chilliwack event you can put FV for Fraser Valley.
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: CACHE BLITZ 2008 Reply with quote

HuggyFamily wrote:
Nothing that a roll of duct tape and some 3" spikes can't solve. I will make it a "Large"container!

Thanks Scruffy.
I knew I should have got that Metal detector at that garage sale!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: CACHE BLITZ 2008 Reply with quote

thanks scruffster
QuigleyJones

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: CACHE BLITZ 2008 Reply with quote

Well this ends my plans for 50 parkinglot mircos being placed on April 1st as part of the blitz. Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: CACHE BLITZ 2008 Reply with quote

I have one waiting to be published in Kamloops, my sister will be maintaining it for me. She MAY go to the event there, but if I am not camping with the Girl Guides that weekend, I will most likely be attending the Lower Mainland event. SHould I leave the TO area on it, or do you think I should change it to LM?
kittyclan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: CACHE BLITZ 2008 Reply with quote

I have one waiting to be published in Kamloops, my sister will be maintaining it for me. She MAY go to the event there, but if I am not camping with the Girl Guides that weekend, I will most likely be attending the Lower Mainland event. SHould I leave the TO area on it, or do you think I should change it to LM?
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: CACHE BLITZ 2008 Reply with quote

kittyclan wrote:
It should be in the TO area. Thats where the cachers finding it can vote on it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: CACHE BLITZ 2008 Reply with quote

Will do! Thanks! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1