CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» Find a cache in deep snow?
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Peach Arch
Peach Arch:  [?] . Erected in 1921 along the world's longest undefended border, the International Peace Arch is the first monument ever built in dedication of World peace. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Worldcaching.com
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» Find a cache in deep snow?
toplefttopfilltopright
Find a cache in deep snow?
Have question about how to use your GPS, hide a cache or solve a problem, let the local experts try to help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jojo88

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Find a cache in deep snow? Reply with quote

Any tips to find a cache, in the winter, buried in snow?
tjguy98

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Find a cache in deep snow? Reply with quote

Flamethrower?

Short of having the cache owner come along with you to pinpoint the actual cache location, it's pretty hard to look at a 30 foot radius (assuming you have good co-ords) and "see" beneath X number of inches of snow. All your visual clues are gone and short of probing every square inch of land with a probing stick, all you can do is dig down where "The Force" tells you the cache might be. If you strike dirt instead of gold, move over and try again.

hollyburn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Find a cache in deep snow? Reply with quote

metal detector for those ammo cans.
landsharkz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Find a cache in deep snow? Reply with quote

Does it have the little snowflake attribute to say it's available in winter? Maybe the cache owner would prefer you leave it until the snow is gone.
tjguy98

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Find a cache in deep snow? Reply with quote

Most people don't bother with the cache attributes, so the lack of a snowflake symbol may not mean anything

landsharkz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Find a cache in deep snow? Reply with quote

It sure meant something when we went to Quebec in December Laughing . The advice we got from the locals was to use the 'available in winter' attribute for our pocket queries. Do folks in snowier parts of BC use this attribute?
QuigleyJones

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Find a cache in deep snow? Reply with quote

Bring a kid along.
tjguy98

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Find a cache in deep snow? Reply with quote

QuigleyJones wrote:
Bring a kid along.

And what do you do with the kid? Drop them in the hole you dug in the snow to look for the cache? Shocked Laughing

landsharkz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Find a cache in deep snow? Reply with quote

I think the kid would be standing back text messaging their friend while listening to their IPod asking you to 'try over there' and 'hurry up' because they've got a date to talk on MSN shortly and by the way... their designer skate shoes are going to get wet if they stand around much longer and they're freezing their a** off because they refuse to zip up their hoodie or wear anything that even slightly resembles appropriate outerwear Shocked .
jojo88

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Find a cache in deep snow? Reply with quote

actually, landsharkz, as the one who posted this thread, you can consider me as a kid. (i'm 14) I dressed apropriately for 3 snow caches, and don't listen to my iPod on the way. Mad But you have a point, most young people don't geocache.
landsharkz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Find a cache in deep snow? Reply with quote

jojo88 - thanks for the jolt, I needed that Laughing . I did manage to save a bundle on outerwear this winter, since 'he' refused to wear any Shocked . Hopefully this stage will pass before he freezes to death Confused . Luckily in Victoria we don't get deep snow....
jojo88

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Find a cache in deep snow? Reply with quote

well, I don't live in a area with snow either, (vancouver), but I was scouting out a location north of whistler for the blitz, and may not be able to place it in time because of excessive snow.
landsharkz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Find a cache in deep snow? Reply with quote

Are you worried about being able to get to the area in general or finding a hiding place that is winter accessible? You could hide it in a snowy area if you could find an accessible area with good hiding places that are off the ground, like nooks in rock walls or holes in trees, fences, etc. What about making it look like the surrounding area and suspending it? Laughing
jojo88

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Find a cache in deep snow? Reply with quote

getting to the location in general. after a 30 min hike through packed snow, the cachers will need to trudge through about 100 metres of deep snow. I'm thinking of waiting till summer to place the cache.
landsharkz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Find a cache in deep snow? Reply with quote

Sounds like a fun outing for the FTF hounds Razz
Hmmm - if you like the spot and want to use it you could increase the terrain rating in winter and say that snowshoes are recommended (specialized equipment warrants a higher terrain rating). In the summer or when the snow melts you could reduce the terrain rating. Or you could just leave it until the snow is gone....
jojo88

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Find a cache in deep snow? Reply with quote

Good idea. I could put terrain at 4 for winter and 3 for summer.
thanks
landsharkz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Find a cache in deep snow? Reply with quote

No problem - I do believe that because Mr. LS is on the BCGA executive our Cache Blitz hides aren't eligible for prizes...

Since the rest of the Executive is on the mainland we're quite happy if we can help the competing Lower Mainland cachers creative devilish hides for the rest of the Exec (and other cachers) to go find Razz Laughing .
QuigleyJones

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Find a cache in deep snow? Reply with quote

Quote::
How To Find a cache in deep snow?
Like this

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Find a cache in deep snow? Reply with quote

We took a friend out geocaching on our snowmobiles - handed her a snow shovel and said "start digging"

MsChief-Gps_y

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Find a cache in deep snow? Reply with quote

I resemble that remark and photo! A memorable caching day snowmobiling hither, yon, and over the lake with great company. I did 6 caches buried in snow that wonderful day. Not something I would have done in an urban area but little chance of these being muggled after. Team K1W1 handed me a shovel and I was set.

Walked carefully through the pristine thigh high snow not knowing what was laying underneath but it all went well.
It was relatively easy to pinpoint the cache hide area in the picture as you cachers with trained eyes will agree. And not too hard to find the cache itself and tons of fun! Won't tell you which cache it is so it's not a spoiler, lol.

The last cache we did the container was frozen in thick ice and I couldn't have retrieved it but Mr K1W1 (caretaker of this cache) lending his super-cacher strength got it, bending his shovel and breaking the container. Can't get the link to take but you can look at our logs for GCPOJ3.
Excellent caches every one.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?
Page 1 of 1