CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» How far for FTF?
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Swans of Lonesome Lake
Swans of Lonesome Lake:  [?] . You might remember a book called "The Caruso of Lonesome Lake" where Ralph Edwards saved the BC Trumpeter swans from extinction from the 1920's to the 1950s. It was almost required reading for our generation in elementry school in the 70s. Edwards cabin burnt down in the BC fires of 2004. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» How far for FTF?
toplefttopfilltopright
How far for FTF?
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrinderG

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: How far for FTF? Reply with quote

I have just returned home from a drive to get a FTF on a cache, and it got me to wondering. How far have you driven just to get a FTF on a cache? I don't mean that you are on holidays many miles from home, and see a new cache come up and go and get it, I am talking about an intentional drive just to get the chance at the FTF. I just drove 75 miles each way, with 65 of that on pavement and 10 on gravel/backroads. Any body else do this? :huh:

gotlost001

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: How far for FTF? Reply with quote

Living in abbotsford you have to be fast to get a FTF so I won't even try if its more than 10 Km, unless no one have found it in a day or two.
Lode Runner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: How far for FTF? Reply with quote

Farthest I've gone for a FTF so far is about 40km each way (80km round trip). I've also had a FTF that was boat access only on the lake, not as much distance but probably took longer.
landsharkz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: How far for FTF? Reply with quote

GCVN6K - we intentionally packed the jeep with camping gear and made sure it was ready to go off road. We took a ferry, drove to Garibaldi area (Chance Creek FSR), drove about 8km of abandoned logging roads, then hiked the rest of the way for a FTF. The cache listing says 171.1km as the crow flies from home, but it's much farther the way we went!
Gecko Cacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: How far for FTF? Reply with quote

We are heading to Argentina in November for a R/C event and there are caches there that haven't been discovered yet. So if we get the FTF's we would be looking at around 6500 miles. Laughing That's what I call expensive geo caching Razz RCTP

geocachinggecko.blogspot.com/
grafinator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: How far for FTF? Reply with quote

The farthest I have driven so far to intentionally get a FTF is 66 kilometres as the bird flies. Not sure how far it ended up being following the roads.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: How far for FTF? Reply with quote

hey grinder g.what cache was that?i drove from Prince George to Fort St.John to get the FTF on White Foot Cache gc13qba.It was my 300 find.438km each way.On that trip i went for a FTF on the way but all i got was a DNF and 6 wasp stings.4 on the forearm 1 on the face and 1 on the neck.Cache was called Scotts Surprise in Chetwynd.the cache is not there.
msthebrain and pinky

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: How far for FTF? Reply with quote

We took off to get a FTF 85km away. The funny thing is we got a DNF on it! Wink

Pinky
scruffster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: How far for FTF? Reply with quote

I seem to recall that MS thebrain & Pinky left a football game at BC Place to get a FTF too.

Of course, I, being of sound mind, do not go to extremes. No no no I do not think so. I am never wandering the forests in the middle of the night **snarfle**
Pharmadude

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: How far for FTF? Reply with quote

I went 2780 miles for this one! Does that count?
Raygar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: How far for FTF? Reply with quote

for my 100th, me and a buddy paddled a canoe about 4 hours one way to get my 1st FTF, in the middle of Alouette lake.
well worth it and very memorable, the stuff that makes cacheing fun for me.
GrinderG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: How far for FTF? Reply with quote

Okay, I don't feel as bad as I did after reading some of these replies. Thanks to all. The cache I went for was in Quennelle Forks, East of Williams Lake.

Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: How far for FTF? Reply with quote

Well we've only had 3 so far and they've all involved 5 hour adventures, we're after our 500th find this weekend and have our eyes on a terrain 5 FTF.

Our first FTF involved a 2 hour drive up a 4x4 road and a 3 km hike as the crow flies over a willow grown trail that took 5 hours to hike there and back (about 70 km from here as the crow flies).

Our second FTF involved staying up 25 hours trying 17 different routes to get to it to avoid walking 900 meters at 2 am in bear country, and of that 25 hours - well 5 of them were on 4x4 routes and we were desperate to get the FTF as it was placed for a poker run the next day and we were convinced we had to get it.. to this day a few weeks later we're still the only people to log it.

The third was a fluke a few weekends ago - just happened to still be there. however it was showing found as people who were with the cacher when they placed it "found it" but didnt' claim the FTF.

So this weekend we go out daring for another terrain 5 cache for a FTF for our 500th - and well we're a little worried someone might try for it this weekend so I completely imagine we'll be up til 5 AM again in search of the cache to finally either pitch a tent or pass out on the ground donating blood to the local insect bank and having another spontaneous weekend.

I do dislike it when you get to a major milestone as you have to slow down your caching to get the one you want.. wahhhh!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1