CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» newbie
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Coin Sales  
Atlin Lake
Atlin Lake:  [?] . Snow Caves of Atlin Lake [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» newbie
toplefttopfilltopright
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raygar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: newbie Reply with quote

Hi, new here, though i created a profile over a year ago I just found out I could access these forums.
Im interested in joining the BCG Association, but would like to know what the difference is from being a member or just logging in like I am now.
thanks, The Stainless Steel Rat.
Raygar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: newbie Reply with quote

tjguy98

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: newbie Reply with quote

Yep...........are you lonely? Smile

If you have signed onto the web site I believe that already makes you a member of the BCGA. There are no annual fees to pay: basically you sign up and your in like Flint.

Visit often to keep abreast of what is happening as most of the current news is posted on the Home Page and current news articles scroll off as new ones take their place. Like other web sites, the forums are the place to peruse and find information/chats on a wide variety of subjects.

Have fun!

gotlost001

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: newbie Reply with quote

There is one form to fill out and send in if you want to be a member of the BCGA. Click on the Membership Info button on the left side of the page and follow the instructions.
Raygar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: newbie Reply with quote

Thank you bpth for the reply.
Cool to see another Maple Ridger, third generation myself.
So, there is no difference from being a member or just having a profile?
cheers, Raygar, 112 and counting lol.
Raygar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: newbie Reply with quote

21 of those 112 where tjguy98s Laughing
911turbos

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: newbie Reply with quote

There isn't really any difference as far as the website or forums are concerned. Being a BCGA member does give you the right to vote at the AGM. Also there will be a version of the BCGA coin that will be available to members only. In the last photo contest, the prizes were different if you were a BCGA member. The more members we have, the more influence we may have with the local and provincial governments.
Raygar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: newbie Reply with quote

Thanksgot a few of your hides as well.
Did i hear something about new cache notifications as well?,
thought I heard something like that at a Cito last year.
911turbos

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: newbie Reply with quote

You just have to have an account on the website to get new cache notifications. Log in to your profile and on the preferences page, make sure you have selected Yes for Receive Newsletter.
landsharkz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: newbie Reply with quote

tjguy98 wrote:

If you have signed onto the web site I believe that already makes you a member of the BCGA. There are no annual fees to pay: basically you sign up and your in like Flint.
Have fun!

Actually... if you have signed onto the website then you've signed onto the website and that's about it. Anyone from Texas to Tahiti is welcome to sign on and participate in discussions, etc.

If you download the Membership Application Form, fill it in and send it to the 'Membership' address, along with proof of residency, then you become a voting member of the BCGA. That's the part that's only available to BC residents.

If you live in BC and geocache here then it's best to do both - that way you won't miss out on any of the perks of being a voting member (like cool geocoins with an edition just for members). Also you can feel confident that the executive represent YOU when we're in discussions with all levels of government, making decision on events, etc.

Being a 'member' of the website won't earn you the coin or representation, filling in the form and proving you're a BC resident will :D.
Raygar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: newbie Reply with quote

got the form filled out the day I started the thread Very Happy
Thanks for all the input people Smile
got two finds in Victoria, one at the Library and one de activated that was on a hill next to a tower or something.
will send in the form soon
cache on Cool
The Stainless Steel rat was here.
marcjboudreau

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: BCGA Membership Reply with quote

So, I've poked around a bit on here and can't quite seem to find what I'm looking for.
What are the benefits of being a BCGA member? I know it's free, but is there any reason a person should join? Do I have to use snail mail to send in my application? Is there a form I could just email in? Why do you need my driver's licence? I could add my DL Number to the form but photocopying it and sending you a copy seems a little overkill.
Just curious is all.
tjguy98

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA Membership Reply with quote

The main reason to ask for a copy of your DL is that it establishes that it is a real person requesting membership.

In the past this group has had problems with some less mature members asking for membership under a sock puppet account, then going on to be PITAs as for the sake of "fun". Well, their fun, not the other members fun.

As for the benefit of membership to the BCGA, have a look at the same questions posted in this thread

scruffster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: newbie Reply with quote

I merged the topics since they're talking about the same thing.

BCGA membership comes with some advantages. We've designed past contests to have a double pay out for members. There is also a BCGA coin exclusive to members only.

But the big advantage of membership is to help us in a united front. With a strong membership the BCGA can say we speak for many people when talking to various park boards and government institutions. When we can say we represent 300 British Columbians, the government truly listens moreso than if we had a membership of 20. And for that, the BCGA has been instrumental in keeping geocaching in National Parks. We also have a great relationship with BC Parks. This may not sound like a lot but please remember that there are many areas of Canada, the USA and the world that have banned geocaching.

Although the BCGA listens to all geocachers, members get an additional voice through a vote. If you like what the directors are doing, you can vote for them. If you do not, you can vote them out. You can also become a director yourself through membership. It's a very rewarding job.
landsharkz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: newbie Reply with quote

Another reason we ask for the DL to be shown to a member of the executive at an event (or for you to send a photocopy of it), is so that we can verify that you are a resident of BC. One of the requirements of the Society is that to be a voting member of the Association, you must reside in this province.

Also, as others have said, one person = one vote.

If you are going to an upcoming local event, find the BCGA rep and give them the form, flash your DL and you're done.
marcjboudreau

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: newbie Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses all. That answers my questions.
I have the form printed off and I'll keep an eye out for any upcoming events.
To paraphrase someone else, I worry for any group that would have me as a member.
landsharkz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: newbie Reply with quote

marc... ask not what we can do for you, but what you can do for your Assocation Wink .
If given the opportunity, we can keep you so busy that you won't have time to get into mischief Shocked
marcjboudreau

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: newbie Reply with quote

Good luck with that landsharkz, keeping my out of mischief is a full time job just ask my wife. I'm enough of a trouble maker that one of the scout troops I used to work with called me Scouter Mischief.
I should mention as well that in one of the other forums I post to there was some talk of installing a "marcasm" font. If you're not sure I'm joking or not it's safer to assume I am.

see you on the trails.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1