CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» Canadian Highways misplaced???
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Vancouver Island Marmot
Vancouver Island Marmot:  [?] . On the brink of extinction, spotting a Vancouver Island Marmot would be a rare event for any geocacher. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Caching Containers
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
October 2014
SMTWTFS
01 02 03 04
05 06 07 08 09 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

Fri Oct 31, 2014
Event Halloween

Tue Nov 11, 2014
Event Remembrance Day

Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» Canadian Highways misplaced???
toplefttopfilltopright
Canadian Highways misplaced???
Have question about how to use your GPS, hide a cache or solve a problem, let the local experts try to help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vertek001

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Canadian Highways misplaced??? Reply with quote

I have a Magellen 500 LE. All through Arizona, CA, NV, ID, OR, and WA the GPS showed me smack dab where I was supposed to be on each highway. But now I am back in BC, when I travel on Hyw 97 (the only hwy near me), it shows me approx 0.5 mile off. Any idea why? Is there a fix?
tjguy98

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian Highways misplaced??? Reply with quote

There is no fix per se, other than the mapping companies to do a better job with their maps. If you surf the various GPS forums you'll read that the same type of complaint has been aired by folks all over the U.S. and Canada. Common complaint is: accurate maps in some states, not so good in other states, some areas outdated and others very current.

Once you get outside the continental U.S. the consistency goes down hill; my TOPO3D map with my Meridian Gold is very good for the Vancouver area in general, but when I got the mapping program it was already 2 years out of date the minute I opened the box.

The general feeling I get is that the two main mapping companies, Tiger Maps and I can't remember the other one, concentrate on their main U.S. market and not so much on other parts of the world.

Not surprised for you to find that we Canucks have "moved" our highways from where the maps say they should be. Very Happy

vertek001

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian Highways misplaced??? Reply with quote

Thanks for the detailed reply. Answer wasn't what I wanted to hear. As a newbie GPS user, I was hoping I had missed a magic correction somewhere. Thanks. ... And nice pictures on your blog.
legacypac

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian Highways misplaced??? Reply with quote

Actually parts of Hwy 97 have moved east and west over the last few years as the hwy has been upgraded. Part of the problem might be old map info.
anakerose

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Canadian Highways misplaced??? Reply with quote

My Magellan 210 is like that as well, but I believe if you buy the detailed mapping package, the highway is corrected in it.

Edit: Posted by LordEd, accidentally used anakerose's account already logged in.
HwyGuy

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Canadian Highways misplaced??? Reply with quote

On my Magellan Maps for the Explorist XL - the Fraser River disappears just past the Mission bridge - sorry Lytton!

The biggest thing I have noticed is coastline and caches appearing out in the middle of a bay or on the wrong side of the mouth of a stream.

I cached in England with no maps - harder to do than having highways out of place lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?
Page 1 of 1