CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Urban caching and 'permission': examples?
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Marine Life
Marine Life:  [?] . "Second only to the Red Sea", according to Jacques Cousteau! Explore under the ocean. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Caching Containers
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Urban caching and 'permission': examples?
toplefttopfilltopright
Urban caching and 'permission': examples?
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aerodoq

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Urban caching and 'permission': examples? Reply with quote

It seems to my uneducated eye that many urban caches (and off-road too I bet) are placed with the 'easier to apologize than to ask permission' philosophy, with some of the 'frisbee' rule thrown in too.

To be strictly correct, though, we should be seeking permission for all caches not on public land, and even for many of the public areas I wonder how many of those strictly should be approved too.

In that vein, I wonder if there's anyone in the Lower Mainland (or in BC) that can provide me with examples of approaching businesses or institutions for permission to place caches on their property.

I've got a couple of ideas for caches in a number of publicly accessible places but on non-public property. (If it's publicly accessible and you're encouraged to be there, I have a hard time calling it 'private' property.) Anyway, I thought I'd take the 'hard' route and see if I can get explicit permission for a couple of potential locations. To do this, I'd like to be able to point at other local caches where people have sought and obtained permission for the cache. Does anyone have some examples or personal experience that they could share?

In terms of letters asking permission, I've got some examples from other places around the world, but again if anyone has a local example, I'd appreciate some pointers.

Cheers!
A>
Catapult Jeff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Urban caching and 'permission': examples? Reply with quote

I have a friend who always says "the answer is no if you don't ask". So no matter what remember you could just ask.

I did a cache near Arlington Washington that is in a fruit stand. The stand isn't open year round so in the spring the cache becomes active and goes unactive in the fall. The cache owner has permission for this cache to be place there. All he did was ask. So when we found it there was a newbie guy that was working there who didn't know a thing about the cache but the stand owner just happened to be there to help us as the spot the cache was in had moved. Believe it or not the cache had helped sales. We would not had stopped an bought a snack if it was for that cache.

Does this help?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Urban caching and 'permission': examples? Reply with quote

Of the caches I've placed, I asked permission for one of them.

And heres the letter I sent (I found out the recipient heard of caching and was quite eager to have a cache placed)
Quote::
Hello
I am part of a global community called Geocachers who use GPS (Global
Positioning Systems) to explore the outdoors. While attending the
British Car Show I thought this place would be a great place to show
people.
I am interested in placing a cache within VanDusen Gardens,
specifically the Maze.
The cache would be a small tupperware container with a logbook, info card and trade items inside. Its location (longitude/latitude) would be
recorded online, www.geocaching.com/about/
If placed the cache would be expected to attract 100 people in its
first year to the garden.
A cache in Queen Elizabeth Park has had 140 visitors since February
14, 2004 www.geocaching.com/see...mp;decrypt
Please contact me if you have any concerns, I would be happy to answer them.

Thanks for your time.
Quigley Jones
V-I-cacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Urban caching and 'permission': examples? Reply with quote

the "fruit stand" is - on the other hand - a fine example of how geocaching shouldn't be. as far as I understood the rules, the hides should be "non commercial"... don't understand me wrong, I enjoyed the "donut war" caches in Surrey just like the next cacher and it isn't that I wouldn't buy there anyways either, but anything that drives a commercial *cash* flow from cachers to *where ever* other than provincial parks (my my, exactly those who don't necessarily want us in there!) makes me raise my eyebrows...
...I do not know the cache, but if I wanted to show cachers a fancily crafted fruit cart, I probably would hide the cache across the street and not in it. That way you can decide yourself, if you want to buy something there or not; rather then being somewhat urged into buying for the sake of a "thank you for the cache"...
Catapult Jeff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Urban caching and 'permission': examples? Reply with quote

No one had to buy from the fruit stand. It was just by product of the cache being there. I just returned from southern California where we did some caching. There is 2 caches in the San Diego Zoo. One is a virtual the other is not. The only way to log the caches is to pay to get in the zoo. The cache owner did get premission to place the caches. So far to date neither groundspeak or any one else has said they shouldn't be there. I looked at them as a bonus to being in the Zoo and I will point out that the cache page asks people not to come to the Zoo just for the caches.

What if you have to pay for parking? Should we say there should be only caches near free parking so we don't help out cities or parking lot companies? How many cache owners of parking lot caches ask before they place the cache? Most don't. But if you read the rules you should. So I will go back to what I believe" Just ask". The worst thing they can say is "no".

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Urban caching and 'permission': examples? Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. There's also a farm stand on Wyndham Island in Ladner that also has given permission for a cache. Actually, other than the angry hornets, it was an interesting find for the toddler.

QJ, I've often wondered about that cache in VanDusen, and the guidelines around putting caches in locations where you have to pay to get in to get the cache ... but whatever, I'm sure I'll be back in there some day again.

But none of these cases are quite what I'm looking for, which are examples of urban caches with permission. You know, downtown, VGH, college/university campuses, etc.

Anyway, I'm going to put together some letters with some specific requests to place caches in specific locations, and I'll see how far I get.
SeekGoHide

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Urban caching and 'permission': examples? Reply with quote

If you are looking for some local examples of caches with permission. I have two. Didn't use a letter, just asked.
GCYHRB
GC11E90
Aerodoq

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Urban caching and 'permission': examples? Reply with quote

SeekGoHide wrote:
If you are looking for some local examples of caches with permission. I have two. Didn't use a letter, just asked.
GCYHRB
GC11E90

Thanks for those examples. The one at the church is an example of what I'm looking for.

Does anyone else have another example? In my letter, I want to be able to point to specific examples that aren't 'in the woods' so that the people reading the letters can relate to the cache placements.

A>
HuggyFamily

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Urban caching and 'permission': examples? Reply with quote

Quigley's letter is excellent. I would even go as far as to add one statement that talks about the "community" of geocachers and their typically common respect for respecting the environment. Those giving permission would probably be interested to know about CITO and the other efforts of geocachers in that respect.

PH.
kittyclan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Urban caching and 'permission': examples? Reply with quote

I've got one at the Port Moody museum. No letter, I just talked to the curator and told him about and showed him geocaching info. When I had the cache page ready I brought it in to him in case he had any suggestions of things that should be added or omitted, and then he and I searched for a good hiding spot together where seekers wouldn't be able to get into places where he didn't want people getting into. He even donated a buncha stuff for the cache contents!
Every so often I bring in a printout of the cache page so he can read what people have logged. He has let all the staff know too, I know some of the logs read "when we got there the staff asked us if we were here to see the museum or to find the cache", and they are happy to help if anybody needs it. It has attracted a lot of people to the museum who may have never known about it, and quite a few have browsed the museum after finding the cache, so the cache has helped boost the visitor count! Very Happy
loungelions

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Urban caching and 'permission': examples? Reply with quote

I have a cache placed in the public park near my home. I just went on the Vancouver city website and asked someone in the Parks dept. via e-mail if I could have permission. I described the cache and he felt there would be minimal damage to the park and ok'd it. It only took a couple of days via e-mail to get the permission to place it, so it really wasn't a hassle at all.
2-poco

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Urban caching and 'permission': examples? Reply with quote

My "Keys to Colony Farm" original cache was being removed by Park Employees at Colony Farms and was rescued by a cacher who knew about the cache. I got it back and then called G.V.R.D. about the cache and geocaching...it was about 3 years ago, but I did get permission to place the cache at its current location.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1