CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» Regional —» Lower Mainland / Coast Mountains —» Lower Mainland Geocachers
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Fort Steele
Fort Steele:  [?] . Fort Steele is a Heritage Town, where visitors can travel back in time to the 1890s and enjoy daily re-enactments of the town's past history and heritage year-round. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Landsharkz Coins and Geocaching Gear
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» Regional —» Lower Mainland / Coast Mountains —» Lower Mainland Geocachers
toplefttopfilltopright
Lower Mainland Geocachers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scruffster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Lower Mainland Geocachers Reply with quote

I received a message from SSS. The Lower Mainland Geocachers website is currently offline. There is no news to when the website will be running again.

Thanks for the update, SSS.
QuigleyJones

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Lower Mainland Geocachers Reply with quote

Is there a reason for the site being down?

I guess that means I'll have to spend my time here Confused
South Surrey Scavengers

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Lower Mainland Geocachers Reply with quote

None of the admins seem to know why the site went down. It could possibly have been hacked. It is unkwown if the site will ever be back at this time.

kittyclan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Lower Mainland Geocachers Reply with quote

I hope it comes back!
South Surrey Scavengers

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Lower Mainland Geocachers Reply with quote

A google search on LMGA turns up this message,

Things That Make You Go Hmmmm.
Ya bored wit' da blank pages? Stay tuned peeps. tickticktick...

But going to the site is still a blank page. The hijackers have spoken.

_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Lower Mainland Geocachers Reply with quote

Is it confirmed that the site has been 'HiJacked'?
What do you mean by 'Hijacked'?
I see on a WHoIs Seach that it's registered to Team Monopoly.
Did the Site get moved to a new Hosting service? It seems more likely there just is not a site on the new hosting service than it being hijacked. The software it was on is really secure if the same was being used. I mean how hard is it to even put up a 'We are building a new webiste, stay tuned' page? Its one html file named 'index.html' on the web root directory.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Lower Mainland Geocachers Reply with quote

Talked to team monopoly 1 and have found out that the 'Hijack' is by a local cacher (Good Grief). You cant access the site as its been deleted/removed from the host server.
tjguy98

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: Lower Mainland Geocachers Reply with quote

QuigleyJones wrote:
Talked to team monopoly 1 and have found out that the 'Hijack' is by a local cacher (Good Grief). You cant access the site as its been deleted/removed from the host server.

Do you mean a local cacher in Vancouver or in BC? Seems an odd thing for a cacher to do to their fellow cachers, doesn't it?

hollyburn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Lower Mainland Geocachers Reply with quote

A name that was on the page a couple of weeks ago seemed to be from outside Canada and had very few cache finds.
South Surrey Scavengers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Lower Mainland Geocachers Reply with quote

QuigleyJones wrote:
Was team monopoly 1 contacted by the hijacker? How does he know it is a local cacher? Was it a hack or was it an inside job?

QuigleyJones

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Lower Mainland Geocachers Reply with quote

My understanding (so its not necessarily correct) is that it was an inside job. Someone used the site-admin account to remove all user-admins.

Monopoly was on at the time this was happening and so aware of who else was online (I presume the bad guy).

Monopoly said he "can apply to have these passwords changed but it
all takes time."

Mentioned this thread was here so...
V-I-cacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Lower Mainland Geocachers Reply with quote

never mind the site... for whoever still knows about it:
My LMGA-Moving-Cache is still very much active...
...the current "loot" can be viewed at:
www.geocaching.com/see...9c81abfc39

been out of the "game" for a while now, as I'm very busy at work,
barely even have time for family; not to talk about geocaching... *sigh*
hollyburn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Lower Mainland Geocachers Reply with quote

That link doesn't seem to work.
V-I-cacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Lower Mainland Geocachers Reply with quote

I'll be darned... I always thought a not active listing would atleast show the inventory of moveable items in it... apparently not so *sigh*

in that case just nevermind and ignore I ever said anything about it Razz

never the less, if you see the green pathfinder with the GPS-Sticker on the back... feel free to find the moving cache which is also to be found at the rear of said vehicle... no need to break into the truck, tho Wink
South Surrey Scavengers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Lower Mainland Geocachers Reply with quote

Looks like LMGA is pretty much dead now. Even if the hijacker was going to use the site for some propaganda they will find very little interest in it. No one is going to check on it anymore.

Hello BCGA!

_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Lower Mainland Geocachers Reply with quote

V-I-cacher wrote:
I'll be darned... I always thought a not active listing would atleast show the inventory of moveable items in it... apparently not so *sigh*

never the less, if you see the green pathfinder with the GPS-Sticker on the back... feel free to find the moving cache which is also to be found at the rear of said vehicle... no need to break into the truck, tho Wink
In that case you'll have to tell me where you hid the keys so I can move it for the next finder! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Lower Mainland Geocachers Reply with quote

_canadianbacon_ wrote:
In that case you'll have to tell me where you hid the keys so I can move it for the next finder! Smile

LOL, I move it myself for the next finder, thank you very much Razz
South Surrey Scavengers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Lower Mainland Geocachers Reply with quote

V-I-cacher wrote:

I consider myself lucky to be one of the finders of this cache. I had a little time to poke around during the Mud Bay CITO event. I was trying to figure out how to remove the spare tire at first...

V-I-cacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Lower Mainland Geocachers Reply with quote

I've given it some lenience and waited to see if anything happens, but as there was no change to lmga.net at all, I pretty much came to terms with it being R.I.P.

Accordingly I have now already removed all the (dead!) links from my cache-pages...

...have you?

V-I-cacher
South Surrey Scavengers

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Lower Mainland Geocachers Reply with quote

V-I-cacher wrote:
I've given it some lenience and waited to see if anything happens, but as there was no change to lmga.net at all, I pretty much came to terms with it being R.I.P.

Accordingly I have now already removed all the (dead!) links from my cache-pages...

...have you?

V-I-cacher
I'll have a quick look to see if I removed all the links. I'm pretty sure I did it for my geocaches. But maybe my forum signature still has it at www.geocaching.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Lower Mainland / Coast Mountains
Page 1 of 1