CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Teaching Geocaching
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Roadside Attractions
Roadside Attractions:  [?] . Stone Head in Nanamio [M | C]  Mile Zero in Dawson Creek [M | C]  Jerry the Moose in Clearwater [M | C]  Salmon in Sandspit [M | C]  Big Penny in Salmo [M | C]  Mr. PG in Prince George [M | C]  Gold Pan in Quesnel [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Caching Containers
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Teaching Geocaching
toplefttopfilltopright
Teaching Geocaching
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LFITQ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Teaching Geocaching Reply with quote

This May I am going on a cruise and I have been talking with some people who are also going on the cruise. The topic of geocaching came up and now I have a few people (sitting at about 6 right now) who want to learn more about geocaching, so we are setting up a get together on the ship so I can go into what geocaching is and how it works and the like.

What I am looking for is some ideas as to how to present geocaching, what things should I make sure I mention, any tips on teaching it to new people...anything that may help me provide a good starting point for people.

TIA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Teaching Geocaching Reply with quote

I have a few ideas that I will pass along to you via email shortly as I'm putting together a GPS training course for this weekend and updating my geocaching course as well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching Geocaching Reply with quote

That would be great! I would love to have any and all assistance in this.

When I first learned someone showed me how it worked just within parking lot of the building we were in. That's not gonna work on a cruise ship that is moving - the cache location would just keep moving too! So that idea is out!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching Geocaching Reply with quote

2Poco and I taught a session on caching at the Scout Jamboree last summer. We have a powerpoint presentation we use, as well we use portions of the DVD that groundspeak put together. We could supply the powerpoint to you to give you some ideas if you like?

Of course you could just pack us along on your cruise!!! No?....it was worth a try.
landsharkz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching Geocaching Reply with quote

Yes, a moving classroom would be challenging for one part of the course, but there's a whole lot you can cover before you get to actually marking a location and finding it.

We have two power point presentations (but we don't do 'death by power point Shocked ') that we use when we teach Introduction to GPS Use and/or Introduction to Geocaching. On Friday night it's all lab/classroom learning how to use geocaching.com, about CITO, Park Friendly caching, cache etiquette, trackables, different types of caches, terminology, all the tools/trick of creating a good hide, Lat/Long, UTM, permissions, and how to use the GPS as a geocaching tool and what all the screens on the gps are for. On Saturday we spend all our time outside practicing what we learned in the 'field'. That's when we split into two groups and folks actually see what a track looks like, see the satellites on their screens, go find 4 caches within walking distance of the college, hide a cache for the other group to find, etc.

The other issue would be that you won't have internet access or a lab full of computers. There are certainly work-arounds though - like putting some screen shots from the computer (as well as the GPS) on the power point presentation. You could go find a cache or two once you get to an island, but only certain islands have caches within walking distance from the terminal.

We were on a caching cruise last winter and found Antigua to be the best by far - but we did hire a driver named Leon for the day. He really likes taking geocachers around his island and said he prefers them to the usual tourists because we like to go to the out of the way places Wink . We have a link to him on our site if anyone is heading to Antigua! He also left us at Nelson's Dockyard for a few hours so we could explore the area and find a multi cache and then we continued on our island cache tour.

Away from the West Coast
LFITQ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching Geocaching Reply with quote

3fish thanx for the offer of the powerpoint. I'm more than willing to take any and all info that anyone is willing to give me.

Another thing I am looking at - what kinds of things should I take with me? I've got some TB tags and a small lock n lock. I printed out some of the cards and pamphlets I found over at Geocaching-u.com. I'm getting a geocoin I will take with me and possibly a micro-cache container. I have a log book. I'll print out the cache note and put it in the lock-n-lock as well.

Another suggestions for little things to use as props and displays. Keep in mind I won't have a lot of room to pack these things.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Teaching Geocaching Reply with quote

I agree with 3-Fish that we should come along on the cruise....we have a terrific presentation and we won't take up much space. (We have a terrific Video "Introduction to Geocaching" produced by Groundspeak that we can lend you.)
2-poco

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Teaching Geocaching Reply with quote

The best thing to pack is Geocaching stories. People have loved 3-Fish's description of some of his caching adventures...or my stories about the Travels of our favourite travel bugs. If you can't do a powerpoint, print out cache pages of your favourite caches or cache logs. Be sure you have printouts of caches for any cruise stops along the way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1