CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» BCGA Coin Design Released!
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Roadside Attractions
Roadside Attractions:  [?] . Stone Head in Nanamio [M | C]  Mile Zero in Dawson Creek [M | C]  Jerry the Moose in Clearwater [M | C]  Salmon in Sandspit [M | C]  Big Penny in Salmo [M | C]  Mr. PG in Prince George [M | C]  Gold Pan in Quesnel [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Caching Containers
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» BCGA Coin Design Released!
topleft topfill topright
LOG-IN DIFFICULTIES
Please be advised that we are currently having problems with some of our users not being able to log into the site. We apologize for this, we are working to address the situation. Thank you for your patience

Thank You
BCGA Executive

toplefttopfilltopright
BCGA Coin Design Released!
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scruffster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: BCGA Coin Design Released! Reply with quote

The BCGA is releasing the design for the BCGA 2008 coin to the public.

We decided on a coin in the style of stained glass. The center of the coin will be opaque and/or clear material which will allow light to pass through.

Two popular symbols were chosen to represent British Columbia -- our provincial bird and our floral emblem.
On the coin, a Steller's jay rests on a dogwood branch.

We will be offering this coin in two finishes yet to be determined.

If you would like a coin, the BCGA will be accepting pre orders shortly. It's our hope that this design will prove to be very popular.

Last edited by scruffster on Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
QuigleyJones

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA Coin Design Released! Reply with quote

Shocked Ohhh Very Nice.

Will have to get some. Very Happy

And to give others an idea of what it may look like with the "stained glass".
plumbrokeacres

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: BCGA Coin Design Released! Reply with quote

oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh! my pretty can't wait to get my hands on this one. will there be a members only edition like last year?
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: BCGA Coin Design Released! Reply with quote

plumbrokeacres wrote:
oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh! my pretty can't wait to get my hands on this one. will there be a members only edition like last year?
Yes there will be.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: BCGA Coin Design Released! Reply with quote

Wow, beautiful coin. Great job. I will definitely get one.
stormcloud

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA Coin Design Released! Reply with quote

Nice job on the coin guys. It truly is a coin that can represent the province. I had to wipe the drool off of my keyboard.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA Coin Design Released! Reply with quote

ooh pretty I want one, or two, or um.........
SeekGoHide

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA Coin Design Released! Reply with quote

Didn't think you would be able to improve upon the skunk design, but this is really gorgeous! (sorry Scruffy). I guess the funky skunky will have to run again in 2009
Love Bugs

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: BCGA Coin Design Released! Reply with quote

Very well done, we will be getting a couple of these. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA Coin Design Released! Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Surprised The stained glass is a wonderful idea for this coin. Good job.
scruffster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: BCGA Coin Design Released! Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind comments.

A few people have asked why the BCGA chose these particular symbols for the coin over others.

The BCGA could have gone for the Kermode bear or a totem. Historical scenes like Barkerville were also considered. However, we wanted symbols that were not location specific.

The Kermode bear, albeit a popular symbol, is only seen in one corner of the province. Totems are known throughout British Columbia but there would be a dilemma over which First Nation's art to use. Totem styles differ from one area of the province to another.

The Steller's Jay and the Pacific Dogwood are perhaps the two official symbols that are seen by most British Columbians. Few British Columbians have not heard the song (or annoying squack) of a Steller's Jay. Although the dogwood is native to the southern part of the province, many dogwood trees have been planted in towns and cities across BC since it was named our floral emblum in 1956.

There is also the natural aspect. These symbols are seen often while geocaching. For these reasons, we chose BC's floral emblum and our provincial bird.
HwyGuy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA Coin Design Released! Reply with quote

Scruffster -

Great design. Will this coin be available before Geowoodstock at the end of May?

Thanks
911turbos

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA Coin Design Released! Reply with quote

We are waiting for samples to be produced at the moment. Once they are approved, we will have a 2-3 week pre-order period and then the coins will be produced, so I don't think they will be ready for Geowoodstock.
3fish

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: BCGA Coin Design Released! Reply with quote

These look great!! I'll have to grab a couple even though I'm not much of a coin person. Very Happy
scruffster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA Coin Design Released! Reply with quote

The mint took a few photos of the prototypes. I like what I see. It's my hope the coin will be very popular.

Pre orders will be available shortly.
scruffster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA Coin Design Released! Reply with quote

And here are some photos Landsharkz just sent me. The backlighting shows the stained glass beautifully.

plumbrokeacres

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA Coin Design Released! Reply with quote

Ok Enough teasing... How much and when can I place my order. I just paid down my Visa time to rack it back up
scruffster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA Coin Design Released! Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, how much would you be willing to pay for this top quality coin?
plumbrokeacres

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA Coin Design Released! Reply with quote

similar ones I've purchased were around $10 not more than $12 price will determine the quantity I buy. missed out on the 07's
scruffster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA Coin Design Released! Reply with quote

We're looking at the lower end of your scale. We're not out to bilk people but at the same time this is our one major oppurtunity a year to garner funds for BCGA events, contest prizes etc. One of the coin finishes will be sold to members only. We haven't decided which finish yet. However, that coin will be much more rare and highly collectable. There might be a limit on how many coins a member may purchace.
plumbrokeacres

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA Coin Design Released! Reply with quote

it is a great looking coin I like what I see if it stayed under $12 I would be interested in a few. you guys did a fantastic job on this one.
HwyGuy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: BCGA Coin Design Released! Reply with quote

Great looking coin!!

Will it be available before we all troupe off to Geowoodstock??
scruffster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: BCGA Coin Design Released! Reply with quote

Unfortunately no. We will have at least three weeks of presales before the coin is put into production. Through presales we will have an idea how many coins to order.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1