CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» BCGA Geocoin 2008
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Flammulated Owl
Flammulated Owl:  [?] . The tiny Flammulated Owl can be found in the Ponderosa Pine forests of Southern British Columbia. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Caching Containers
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» BCGA Geocoin 2008
toplefttopfilltopright
BCGA Geocoin 2008
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scruffster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: BCGA Geocoin 2008 Reply with quote

The BCGA will produce a Geocoin for 2008. But first we'd like to ask our members and the general public what should be on it.

Last year, we had British Columbia's flag on the back of the coin. We did this because we wished to have something that included all British Columbians. This year we would like to do the same. The design should reflect BC as a whole.

So, what do you think should be on the BCGA coin for 2008? Feel free to submit sketches. I look forward to your suggestions.
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: BCGA Geocoin 2008 Reply with quote

I'd like to see a coin minted in the general shape of the province.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA Geocoin 2008 Reply with quote

The last time I visited the interior of BC., there was a tremendous amount of dead trees due to the pine beatle. I wonder if the 'Martin Mars' water bombers might be appropriate as one of these summers, when the damaged trees catch fire, we are sure going to need them all over BC. I like the idea of the coin shaped like the province.
scruffster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA Geocoin 2008 Reply with quote

I don't pretend to know anything about coin design but I whipped this up in a few minutes. Of course we'll have a professional design it. Is this kinda what you were thinking about?

stormcloud

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA Geocoin 2008 Reply with quote

I like the concept of the new coin. What about having the BC Provincial flag on the front of it. It could cover the front of the coin in some stylized fashion.
scruffster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: BCGA Geocoin 2008 Reply with quote

This is the provincial flag on the 2007 coin.

plumbrokeacres

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: BCGA Geocoin 2008 Reply with quote

I defiantly like the idea of having it shaped like the province
bcrockcrawler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA Geocoin 2008 Reply with quote

I too like the province shape and scruffy's quick little design wouldn't take too much refining. You could make it translucent green to represent our provintial gem stone, Jade
Maybe include the Steller's Jay our provincial bird and the Dogwood, along with a Western Red Cedar Our provincial tree.... just throwin' ideas...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA Geocoin 2008 Reply with quote

Great Start. Have to throw some 'ocean' around between Van-Island and mainland, maybe up to where Alaska starts. Maybe square off the bottom (top of Washington) to the bottom of VanIsle in white for text (tracking number etc?) Could even put some white tipped mountains on the east side for rockies for something. Compass rose? Lots of possibilities.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA Geocoin 2008 Reply with quote

I like the idea of translucent jade and a BC shaped coin. I'm not sure if the price goes up drastically for minting if we choose to do an unusual shape. It's something I'd have to look into. In the above design the Queen Charlotte Islands are absent. I wouldn't like to dismiss the islands but it was kinda hard adding them into the shape without doing some kind of sharp hook. The design started to look more like a sawblade than a coin. Maybe there is another way to incorporate them.
stormcloud

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA Geocoin 2008 Reply with quote

There are alot of great ideas. I like the idea of the coin being shaped like the Province. Any ideas of what the back side of the coin will look like. The other thing you could do is make it like the Provincal crest on one side, and then encorporate the dogwood, jay or what ever on the other side of the coin.
I like the idea of the coind shaped like a province with the Provincial flag across the front of the coin and then the elements suggested by Canadian bacon on the back.
landsharkz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA Geocoin 2008 Reply with quote

Dunworley wrote:
I wonder if the 'Martin Mars' water bombers might be appropriate...
The Coulson Flying Tankers would be pretty sweet, wouldn't they?! Very Happy
4 were made and we have 2 here at Sproat Lake in BC - that's something to be proud of!
The Martin Mars was called in when the Kinsol Trestle was set on fire in the 70's I believe - one well-aimed release of water and the Kinsol fire was put out. We were told that the trestle hardly shuddered even though a tremendous volume of water was dumped at once.
coast2coast2coast

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA Geocoin 2008 Reply with quote

The Martin Mars was also sent down to ths San Dieago area a week or so ago... Those things a HUGE!
GeoHackers

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA Geocoin 2008 Reply with quote

IN 2008 BC will be celebrating 150 years since being founded. This would seem to be a good item to include on a coin.
Dunworley

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: BCGA Geocoin 2008 Reply with quote

I must admit to a lot of affection for those two Mars tankers. They are so very awe inspiring when you see them in action. When they come over the horizon, so low and slow, then release such a huge amount of water,(60,000) sixty thousand pounds all at once, man, is that something to see!!
If not on a provincial coin, they sure would look great on a future geocoin.
landsharkz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA Geocoin 2008 Reply with quote

Um... It's design elements for the 2008 BCGA coin that are being solicited here; there will also be a 2008 British Columbia coin. I'm wondering if people are getting the two mixed up or thinking they are one and the same. The British Columbia 2008 coin will feature First Nation art again by Tom Spetter (possibly a Mountain Goat) and a scene from another area of BC - possibly the Rockies.

There is a lovely banner image right now with a Mountain Goat that talks about how they live in rocky mountainous areas above the timberline throughout parts of North America. We have the largest population of them here in BC with approx 100,000.

We've put a 3D CF18 on a coin so why not a flying Mars tanker! I'll write that in our black book of coin ideas Wink
stormcloud

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: BCGA Geocoin 2008 Reply with quote

Are there any of the 2007 coins still available.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA Geocoin 2008 Reply with quote

The BGGA doesn't have any left. We minted just enough for the orders plus a few extra for prizes, which have all been given out. Not sure if anyone would have any left to trade.
stormcloud

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: BCGA Geocoin 2008 Reply with quote

Its been awhile since the discussion happenned on the BC Geo coin. Any news where we are at with it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA Geocoin 2008 Reply with quote

Another Port Alberni type here liking the idea of the bombers on the coin.
Dunworley

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: BCGA Geocoin 2008 Reply with quote

Here's another thought just to confuse everyone--how about a natural phenomenon like the Fraser River's 'Hells Gate'. That is an instantly recognizable BC feature.
scruffster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: BCGA Geocoin 2008 Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions. It's hard to come up with something that encompasses all of British Columbia. We're currently working on a secret design that I hope everyone will like.
MrGigabyte

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: BCGA Geocoin 2008 Reply with quote

scruffster wrote:
We're currently working on a secret design that I hope everyone will like.

Very Happy
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: BCGA Geocoin 2008 Reply with quote

I don't know, the design kinda stinks if you ask me!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: BCGA Geocoin 2008 Reply with quote

What's the deal with the cat with the big fuzzy tail???
landsharkz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA Geocoin 2008 Reply with quote

Sure looks like you Scruffster... I've never seen a kitty like that before Wink
vanislelady

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA Geocoin 2008 Reply with quote

Hm...do we see a new scruffster coin design? Laughing
scruffster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA Geocoin 2008 Reply with quote

I wish. But I am not a cyclops kitty. I'm a skunk I tell you a SKUNK!!!.

**scruffster now bans himself for being off topic -- oh how the mighty have fallen**

Actually, the 2008 geocoin is in the final design phase. We have seen several designs and the directors are leaning towards one rather nice looking coin. The trouble is that this particular coin may be too expensive to produce. We do not want to end up being forced to sell a coin for $15 dollars. The current design may have to be simplified.
plumbrokeacres

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA Geocoin 2008 Reply with quote

I'm not opposed to spending $15 for a exceptionally nice coin can we see it and decide?
scruffster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: BCGA Geocoin 2008 Reply with quote

I may have been premature in stating that the coin could be as high as 15 dollars. My guess is that we will be able to bring it in under 10. We'll have to see.

We've submitted the design to various coin manufacturers. It would be a bit premature to show the design before the quotes are back since there may be some major alterations. We are not yet sure if the design can be done in its current state.

Besides, if I spilled the beans the other directors would tar and feather me in the town square.
wildbeanz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: BCGA Geocoin 2008 Reply with quote

Spilt the beanz ! hmmm so its not a skunk (or cyclops kitty ) but the wild wiggly beanz on the coin !! Yeah !
MaliBooBoo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA Geocoin 2008 Reply with quote

Kinda hoping the Charlottes aren't going to be excluded from BC on this coin! Shocked
scruffster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: BCGA Geocoin 2008 Reply with quote

Yes, the Queen Charlotte Islands were definitely included in the map design. We're still going through several options and should be able to show a final design in a few weeks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1