CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Garmin GPS Recommendation
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Stanley Park Totems
Stanley Park Totems:  [?] . World famous Stanley Park. Explore the area and find some treasures. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Worldcaching.com
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Garmin GPS Recommendation
toplefttopfilltopright
Garmin GPS Recommendation
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gosselil

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Garmin GPS Recommendation Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm just starting into geocaching and am looking at a couple of GPS units: Garmin's eTrex Summit and the eTrex Venture Cx. I'm also considering the eTrex Legend Cx.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these machines they would like to share? Thoughts. opinions would be greatly appreciated. Very Happy

Thanks!
Catapult Jeff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin GPS Recommendation Reply with quote

I started geocaching with a Garmin Etrex Vista. I found it to be a good GPS but if you can spend a little extra I would recommend going with a Garmin GPSMap60 C "series". They are a little bigger but are better under tree cover. They seem to be the GPS of choice these days among cachers.

Catapult Jeff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin GPS Recommendation Reply with quote

I can vouch for the 60CSx, which we bought a few months ago. Sturdy, excellent display, good UI, and best of all - never loses signal (except in a cave once!). We bought it in a bundle with the North America maps. Very happy indeed.

HuggyFamily.
gotlost001

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin GPS Recommendation Reply with quote

I use an Etrex Legend and a Magellan Explorist 500. The Etrex is great for caches out in the open but loses signal quickly in the woods. Magellan has much better signal (I can put it in my pocket and not loose reception) but it is not as accurate or as user friendly as the Garmin. They are both inexpensive at around $150.00 t0 $200.00.
QuigleyJones

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin GPS Recommendation Reply with quote

It should be mentioned that all the etrex's have been upgraded and now have high sensitivity receivers like the 60csx.
They have an "H" in the title and I'd recommend you get one of these because our trees and mountains can easily cause the old etex's to loose a signal.

If you don't mind buying used then I'd suggest you browse the GC "GPS Garage Sale" forums. I can see a Vista Cx for $200.
gosselil

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin GPS Recommendation Reply with quote

Thank you to everyone who posted suggestion. It helped. Smile After much research, I finally chose the Garmin Vista HCx.

Cheers!
QuigleyJones

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin GPS Recommendation Reply with quote

And where might you be buying from?
Within Canada I'd recommend GPScentral.ca
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1