CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Event Cache
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Flammulated Owl
Flammulated Owl:  [?] . The tiny Flammulated Owl can be found in the Ponderosa Pine forests of Southern British Columbia. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Caching Containers
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Event Cache
toplefttopfilltopright
Event Cache
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stormcloud

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Event Cache Reply with quote

Idea I'm in the process of organizing an event cache for the May long weekend. I am including a poker cache event leading up to the event and will award the prize for the best hand at the meet and greet. I am however looking for other games and activities for this weekend. Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Tom
Half-Canadian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Event Cache Reply with quote

Hi Tom,
Congratulations on your plans for setting up an event! That's one of the best parts of geocaching for a lot of people, as it is an opportunity to meet other cachers from the surrounding area and beyond.

Cachers love to visit with each other, and everyone likes to eat. That's why most events are usually combined with a meal -- a potluck, barbecue, or meeting at a restaurant. If you hold a potluck, it's really helpful to furnish paper plates, forks, napkins, and something to drink -- bottled water or pop is fine. If you're on a budget, put out a donation jar and people will be glad to pitch in! Be sure to have a supply of stick-on nametags so people can get acquainted -- the dollar stores carry them in packs of 25 or so.

A fun event that will encourage people to mix and introduce themselves is a "fill in the squares" sort of thing. Make up a sheet with a number of different descriptions, for example: uses a Garmin, has more than 500 finds, or has hidden a cache. Hand these sheets out to people with their nametags when they arrive, and explain that they need to find other people at the event who fill one of those requirements. Whoever has found the most cachers in the group who have signed their name to one of the requirements will win a prize. Usually you limit each cacher to sign one square of another person's sheet, and people can't sign their own page.

Another fun game is a GPS accuracy test. In advance, choose a spot in an open field and carefully average the coords. Mark the spot inconspicuously with a nail stuck into the grass so you can find it later. Hand out the coords and a popsickle stick to each player and have them try to get as close to the target as they can by writing their name on the stick and jabbing it into the grass.

If there will be a lot of kids there, some kids games are fun, too. That will help keep them busy and not bored, so their parents will be able to enjoy themselves.

Mostly, just let people relax and visit with each other, rather than trying to schedule too many activities or games. Hope those ideas help!

I've hosted quite a few events, and I'd be happy to help if you have other questions as you work on your plans. You can email me through my gc profile, Half-Canadian and Scooter the Wonder Dog.
Icenrye

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Event Cache Reply with quote

Hi Laurie! Question for you.
There's a ton of new cachers up here in PG. Now as much as I would like to send them to Surrey to buy Krispy Kreams Mr. Green , I was thinking of doing some king of Cache Machine event.
How popular was the Bellingham event? (Click here for event page) Or, more importantly, how hard was it to organize.
There are lots of caches in the Quesnel/Williams Lake area And I would like to try something before everyone goes their own way.
Half-Canadian

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Event Cache Reply with quote

Hi Ice,
Wow, if you put together a northern Cache Machine, I bet you'd get a bunch of us from the lower mainland up to invade your area!

Putting a cache machine together can be as much or as little work as you want. The Bellingham machine was kind of a lot of work, but that's to be expected when 200 people show up, expecting a fun day and a hot dinner afterwards. It was a lot of fun, even though it rained buckets for the last few hours of the route before dinner.

These are the two basics -- dinner and a workable route for people to follow. Get an idea of about how many people might show up, then double it! Find a place that has a banquet room, or a pub, that is willing to have a big group show up dirty, tired, and hungry, for dinner.

Once you've got that location firmed up, use that as your start/end point of the route. Lots of people will want to carpool, so if they can leave cars near the start/end/dinner location that works well.

Now, plan your route...avoid puzzle caches and high terrain caches or ones that require long hikes. A few multis are OK as long as they are fairly simple. Most of the cache machines in Washington have included about 70-100 caches. I designed mine with a couple of loops that returned back towards the end point to allow people some flexibility in how many they wanted to do (kind of like a golf course layout where you can choose 9 or 18 holes).

Anything else beyond those two things are just icing on the cake. You can have a coffee stop along the route, prizes or a raffle during dinner, bonus night caches with coords handed out at dinner...

Post a PDF of your route using MS Streets and Trips or similar program, along with a shared bookmark list of the route caches on the cache page. (You can't share GPX files online to non-premium members).

That's pretty much it! I hope you put one of these together -- I'd sure be up for a trip north for some good caching! Let me know if you have other questions.

Laurie
Icenrye

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Event Cache Reply with quote

Thanks! I've started a thread. You can read it here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1