CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Palm Pilots
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
More Roadside Attractions
More Roadside Attractions:  [?] . Caribou Sam in Cache Creek [M | C]  Largest Burr in Port McNeil [M | C]  The Peach in Penticton [M | C]  Smokey Bear in Revelstoke [M | C]  Orcas in Victoria [M | C]  Bathtub in Nanaimo [M | C]  Largest Cuckoo in Kimberley [M | C]  The Head in Revelstoke [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Caching Containers
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Palm Pilots
toplefttopfilltopright
Palm Pilots
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stormcloud

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Palm Pilots Reply with quote

Heres my issue. I have no idea about palm pilots. I look at the listings on ebay and my eyes glaze over and do not know which ones will work for paperless caching. I cache on a budget and can not spend alot of money. What is the minimum i need to look at.
QuigleyJones

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: Palm Pilots Reply with quote

Ive got a Palm llle and though I haven't tried yet its supposed to work just fine. Lowest you can go (I think) before the geocaching programs wont work is the Palm lll.
Love Bugs

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Palm Pilots Reply with quote

Have a look at any of the "M" series palms. You can usually get one for $30-$50 and they work great for paperless cacing. I have been using a M515 for over a year and I have 5000 caches in it and it is not even close to being full. My son uses a M500 and he has no problems with it either.

Try and get one with rechargable batteries. Some of the older palms used regular batteries and caching can eat batteries. I have a simple car chager for my palm even though I can usually go a whole day without having to charge my palm.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Palm Pilots Reply with quote

Any of the Palms will likely work for caching purposes. It all depends on how many caches you want to have stored and which Palm applications you would like to use. Having an SD expansion slot is nice, but not necessary. I've now used a Palm m100 and a Palm m130. The exteriors can get beat up a bit and if it gets drenched, it will be toast, so the less you spend the better. This was a listing on eBay that I just pulled up (pretty good deal if you ask me):

Palm m130

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Palm Pilots Reply with quote

Which caching tools are you using? I didn't realize that the units could be had for as little as that, opens up the door for paperless caching. Idea

Love Bugs

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Palm Pilots Reply with quote

I use GSAK to filter and organize the caches on my laptop and Cachemate for my PDA. These two programs are the only two that I use for caching. At the next BCGA meet and greet in Chilliwack I will have my laptop there to show anyone who want how well the two work and how easy they are to use. After all if I can do it anyone can.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Palm Pilots Reply with quote

I also use CacheMate for the PDA as it has a log section where you can record your trades, end time, start time, date found, etc. It also has a decrypter for ROT13, so no more bleeding inkjet ink on paper. My printing costs have gone down dramatically.

I use GSAK as well. The cool thing is that GSAK can export pbd files for the Palm. Both work flawlessly on the iMac at home (of course I've got the drive partitioned for XP).

Both apps are great and it's nice to have about 1000 caches at my fingertips whenever and wherever.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Palm Pilots Reply with quote

I was using a m130 until a couple of weeks ago when it just stopped working. I now have a Z22 Palm. It is more than match for most PDA software. What I like is it is rechargeable and I don't have to worry about batteries anymore. I use Plucker, it does a pretty good job I think.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Palm Pilots Reply with quote

Paperless Caching??????
Never heard of it! Cool

Check out episode 2.

L8R
Shel.
Agent zero

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Palm Pilots Reply with quote

I use an older palm tungsten, its getting a bit beat up, but so far its been holding up great.
I used to use GPX spinner, and then plucker to get it to load HTML on to my palm. Lately I've been using GSAK to export a cachemate PDB file directly to my palm software. Which, I have to admit is easier.
But, I vastly preferred the HTML way , as I like the easier look and functionality of HTML files.
The reason I switched to cachemate, is that in some areas, some cache pages will crash the program trying to put HTML on to my palm software. This was true for plucker and GSAK. According to the forums I was looking at, the crashes are caused by errors in the particular custom HTML cache page. I tried to find the offending cache page, but that was too time consuming. So, for now, I'm staying with cachemate.
MsChief-Gps_y

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Palm Pilots Reply with quote

Good topic. I have a Palm111xe that I've stopped using cause it was crazymaking. Maybe it is a dud with a glitch but I could not get one afternoon of caching without fresh batteries dying and being left high and dry without cache or any info. I had to twist and turn it to read (set on large print) the screen when in the car or under forest canopy. I went back to paper as I can always read it easily and it doen't vanish. lol

I'd like to go paperless with something that works. Any suggestions on what to go look at? It'd be so great to have cache info uploaded and handy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Palm Pilots Reply with quote

Has anybody used a HP iPAQ for caching. These seem to be going really cheap on Ebay. Will they work or should i just keep looking Palms Confused
Team K1W1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Palm Pilots Reply with quote

I use a Palm IIIxe with cachemate. I use GSAK to create the files for cachemate. Any Palm pilot should do, but based on the memory you may be limited to the number of databases.
A PDA running windows CE should be able to do something similar

Steve
landsharkz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Palm Pilots Reply with quote

stormcloud wrote:
Has anybody used a HP iPAQ for caching. These seem to be going really cheap on Ebay. Will they work or should i just keep looking Palms Confused
We use a HP iPAQ we got 2nd hand and love it. We use GPXViewer which is a free download.
jangor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Palm Pilots Reply with quote

Palm Z22 is about the cheapest we could find and works great with Cachemate. You can usually find them on sale for less than $100. Try Staples.
DocMagoo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Palm Pilots Reply with quote

Agent zero wrote:
I used to use GPX spinner, and then plucker to get it to load HTML on to my palm. Lately I've been using GSAK to export a cachemate PDB file directly to my palm software. Which, I have to admit is easier.
But, I vastly preferred the HTML way , as I like the easier look and functionality of HTML files.

Good point Agent zero. I also used GPX Spinner and Plucker to create HTML renderings of the cache pages. What was really nice about that setup (if I remember right) is that somewhere on the cache page, when you scrolled down, it listed the nearest caches in relation to the one you were on, plus it indicated the ones that you already had found. It took a little bit of a learning curve for a paperless noobie though.

Either way, CacheMate or Spinner and Plucker will both work and you can hold plenty of caches on a small 16mb SD card.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Palm Pilots Reply with quote

DocMagoo wrote:
Either way, CacheMate or Spinner and Plucker will both work and you can hold plenty of caches on a small 16mb SD card.
Southern Vancouver Island requires a 2GB card Razz
jangor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Palm Pilots Reply with quote

Cachemate on a Z22 (only 8mb) and we have over 700 caches with 5 logs each and still have 4 mb of empty space. The GPSr only holds 1000 waypoints, so really no need for a huge amount of memory IF you are only using the Palm for caching.
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Palm Pilots Reply with quote

I use an IPAQ 2215 (older model, cheap on ebay).
I use GPXSonar , which reads GPX files directly. It can manage TB's, Find Logs, it can filter the list etc. You can import your notes back into GSAK, then post your logs from GSAK into geocaching.com.

The model IPAQ has a SD & Compact Flash Slot & Bluethooth. I have a 32mb card on top of the 32mb on the IPAQ.

I have Mapopolis with detailed Maps for all of BC, but could easily hold most of Canada on the SD card if needed.

Via Bluetooth, I have a wireless GPS (GPSSlim 236 I believe, also on Ebay. Its the size of a matchbox). This interfaces with Mapopolis and provides voice guided routing to the cache (ok, it's not smart enough to know that 1 darn cache is on the OTHER side of the river [;)] ) .

On the trail I have a regular GPS.

Total cost was just over $200CDN, for the Hardware.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Palm Pilots Reply with quote

I use a Sony Clie PDA with 8 mb of memory and a 256 memory stick for backup and storage of extra pocket queries.

I use Spinner and Plucker for the cache pages, and can hold about 5 pocket queries of 500 caches each on the main memory, plus more on the memory stick.

I really like Plucker -- although it's a little convoluted to get the caches loaded into the PDA, it displays the pages just like the webpage, including photos, and lists the caches closest to that one in order of distance.
Pharmadude

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Palm Pilots Reply with quote

I use a Palm Zire 72s with GSAK and Cachemate
Features:
1) Built in voice recorder - dictate your log find notes and transcribe them later.
2) Built in digital camera
3) Builty in WiFi and Bluetooth (OK I haven't used these yet)
4) Built in MP3 player (as if you need this while caching)
Half-Canadian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Palm Pilots Reply with quote

tjguy98 wrote:
Which caching tools are you using? I didn't realize that the units could be had for as little as that, opens up the door for paperless caching. Idea

I recently picked up a used Sony Clie in like-new condition, including an expensive ($30) leather case, travel charger, memory stick, etc. for $19.99 buy-it-now on Ebay.

I'm going on a long trip later this spring and I decided to take a backup PDA loaded with the same pocket queries for the trip as my current PDA will have so that I won't be left without any information if something happened to my old faithful.

If you keep your eyes open, you can really find some good bargains on the lower-end PDA's, which is all you need for caching. Besides, if you drop a $20.00 device on a rock, you won't feel nearly as bad as if you drop a $500.00 unit on that same rock Laughing
Technic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Palm Pilots Reply with quote

I started with a Palm Zire31 with cachemate and GSAK. The Zire 31 worked really well until it crapped out on me. I bought it for $49 at one of those XS freight type stores. It was the last one so I got my money back and since I could really use a better palm I bought a Palm TX. I transferred my cachemate and paid $8 to get registration code and now list as many caches as I can load.

Question is, though, is there any way to get a column in Cachemate on the PDA that will list the distance that you get with the GPX file done from a pocket querie? I know you can get columns to list the cache type, geocoins, terrain, and difficulty, but what about distance?
Technic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Palm Pilots Reply with quote

I played around with GSAK and Cachemate today, and I think I can answer my own question regarding the distance column on my Palm PDA, if anyone is interested.
I load the database I want, for example, Unfound, into GSAK. I then export it to Cachemate with %code%name in the line for CacheMate Waypoint (name). I then enter %code_%dist in the CacheMate Name line. Note the "_" between %code and %dist. This will separate the milageage number from the cache name numbers so there is no confusion. I then generate the file and send it to my Palm TX.
Once in CacheMate, I use the Options - List Options and select "Display waypoint as name" and select "When sorted by waypoint". Now going back to the listings, when you select Sort by Name, you get, for example, GCXXXX_4.13. This gives Cache code name and distance from home co-ordinates. When you select Sort by Wpt, you will get the cache code name and the actual cache name.
I know this will only give you mileage from your home co-ordinates, but if you use the Search feature in CacheMate you can change the co-ordinates in the PDA and get a list of nearest caches using the search filters in CacheMate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1