CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» BCGA —» Website Questions —» Banner Images
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Kelowna & Ogopogo
Kelowna & Ogopogo:  [?] . Summer playground and home of mysterious lake monsters! [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Caching Containers
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» BCGA —» Website Questions —» Banner Images
topleft topfill topright
LOG-IN DIFFICULTIES
Please be advised that we are currently having problems with some of our users not being able to log into the site. We apologize for this, we are working to address the situation. Thank you for your patience

Thank You
BCGA Executive

toplefttopfilltopright
Banner Images
Questions, comments and suggestions about this website? Post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Website Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Banner Images Reply with quote

I have modified the banner to display a description of the image, and
links to Info, Maps and Caches for the image.

if an image is not specific, I just picked a 'typical' location for it.

Images rotate as you change pages, keep your eyes open for new ones.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Banner Images Reply with quote

Ooooooh theres lots of new ones.
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Banner Images Reply with quote

Yes, but I keep telling Scruffy . .. 'NO SKUNKS' i'm expecting a little black and white critter to walk across the page any day.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Banner Images Reply with quote

Hmmmm. A skunk. Why didn't I think of that? **stars twinkle in Scruffy's eyes**
tjguy98

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Banner Images Reply with quote

_canadianbacon_ wrote:
I have modified the banner to display a description of the image, and
links to Info, Maps and Caches for the image.

if an image is not specific, I just picked a 'typical' location for it.

Images rotate as you change pages, keep your eyes open for new ones.

Good work CB! I've already taken interest in the Ghost Town caches and have placed them on the back burner in my little brain for a fair weather trip.

_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Banner Images Reply with quote

Thank Scruff too. He does the art, I do the nerdy stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Banner Images Reply with quote

_canadianbacon_ wrote:
Thank Scruff too. He does the art, I do the nerdy stuff.

And well we should for the fine pictures and images he puts up on the site.
It's not as easy as it looks...

Thanks Scruff !

hollyburn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Banner Images Reply with quote

I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about until I changed my set up preference to 'default'. Nice job!
scruffster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Banner Images Reply with quote

You mean to say that CanadianBacon hasn't gotten around to putting the banners on the other theme yet??? **snarfle**
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Banner Images Reply with quote

scruffster wrote:
You mean to say that CanadianBacon hasn't gotten around to putting the banners on the other theme yet??? **snarfle**
No, thats for the minimalists in the crowd.

I was thinking of removing it actually.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Banner Images Reply with quote

I miss the old days when I could just hand over a picture to CanadianBacon and ask him to post it. Then he showed me how to split the image into 9 and then 17 seperate images and glue 16 of them back together just so they can turn black and white. That'll teach me to ask how it is done.
QuigleyJones

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Banner Images Reply with quote

What program is it that your using to do the banners?
scruffster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: Banner Images Reply with quote

I alter add hue, size and crop the photographs by using Corel Photo Paint. Then I add shading and the font using Corel Xara. The photo is initially split in two on Xara as well. Then the top part of the banner is processed an online image splitter which can be found at:

www.chami.com/html-kit/services/is/

where the top part of the banner is split into eight equal sized images and duplicated in black and white. Then back to Xara where the colour and black & white images are fused together. Then each image is labeled according to CanadianBacon's very very long tag specifications and finally sent to CanadianBacon where he works his magic.

Since very few photographs are panoramas, many of the banners are two or more photographs fused together. The Inukshuk/Whistler banner, for example is two seperate photographs and to lengthen them more to banner size the photograps have been duplicated, reversed and streched. You might notice that the little hill on the left of the Inukshuk is really the photograph mirrored. The same with the lake on the left. The lake is mirrored. If you look closely, several banners were done using this process but hopefully the photos were joined seamlessly enough that few people will notice. The whole process takes about an hour per banner.
Half-Canadian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Banner Images Reply with quote

Wow, I just had to say that the new little links for the banner photos that show not only their location on a map but also open a new window showing the closest caches is just WAY TOO COOL.

Some of the photos I've recognized, but others -- the ghost towns, for example -- I've really wished I would be able to know where those were so I could hunt them down someday. And now I can!

Thanks again to CDN Bacon and Scruffster for their continual tweaking and improvements to the website. It has really developed into a first-class site that the BCGA can truly be proud of. Bravo!! Mr. Green
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Banner Images Reply with quote

So what do our visitors think of the latest batch of banners? Any guesses on how many we have now?

The newest ones start at Sproat Lake, followed by Powell River , Fernie, Atlin, Pyramid Falls, Glass House, Butedale, Alpine Medow, Sphinx Tunnels, Finn Slough, Marmot, Dogwood, Swans and Grizzly Cubs.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Banner Images Reply with quote

One word: awesome! They definitely are high quality images and make we want to go to those places to enjoy the scenery first hand..

stormcloud

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Banner Images Reply with quote

I have to say the technical gobbly goop was lost on me but i do appreciate the final results. Thanks Guys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Website Questions
Page 1 of 1