CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» The Blitz is Here!!!
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Ghost Towns
Ghost Towns:  [?] . Hedely [M | C]  Anyox [M | C]  Bradian [M | C]  Butedale [M | C]  Sandon [M | C]  Cody [M | C]  Kitsault [M | C]  Moyie [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Landsharkz Coins and Geocaching Gear
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» The Blitz is Here!!!
toplefttopfilltopright
The Blitz is Here!!!
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scruffster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:50 am    Post subject: The Blitz is Here!!! Reply with quote

The BCGA has released instructions for the 2007 Cache Blitz.

It's my hope that this year's Blitz will be the most sucessful to date. However, we can't do it without your help. Pease make sure you read the instructions -- both for the Blitz and the Groundspeak Guidelines.

Feel free to ask any questions regarding the blitz or Groundspeak Guidelines by contacting the BCGA or Scruffster directly. Questions can also be asked right here.

To avoid a major rush, this year the Blitz will take place over a longer time period. There's time to plan and place an excellent cache, but you should get started soon. If you still haven't placed a cache by mid April, chances are it will not garner many votes.

Most of all, have fun and enjoy the event. Blitz Parties will be held on the first week of May. Prizes will be awarded to the best placements. Good luck to everyone who joins in on the Blitz.

Scruffster.
scruffster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: The Blitz is Here!!! Reply with quote

Is anyone getting ready early? **teehee**
MsChief-Gps_y

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: The Blitz is Here!!! Reply with quote

Putting on the Blitz

Dressed up and eager to go
Off a hunting we will go
Come on let's mix where the dedicated cachers
walk with sticks and gpsr's in their mitts
Putting on the Blitz
(tap dance break)

Dressed up and eager to go
Off a hunting we will go
If you're blue and you don't know
where to go to why don't you go
where caches sit
Putting on the Bitz
Putting on the Blitz
Putting on the Blitz

Cache
Cache

gotta cache
gotta cache

If you're blue and you don't know
where to go to why don't you go
where your Finds sit
Putting on the Blitz
Putting on the Blitz
Putting on the Blitz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: The Blitz is Here!!! Reply with quote

Hey that's good! Didn't I see you on Canadian Idol performing that song?
Wink

koakai

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: The Blitz is Here!!! Reply with quote

I have been out and about, scouting locals, and getting my thughts in order to put out a cache or two. Of course, now I need to change what I had planned, since recent changes to the groundspeak guidelines prohibit caches that require downloading files. That means my podcaches are verbotten. Crying or Very sad I will have to see if can manipulate them in some sense otherwise.
MsChief-Gps_y

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Blitz is Here!!! Reply with quote

Lol. I've got an ear worm about it...it seems my brain links Ritz and Blitz and the song keeps running thru my head....yikes. Hoped if I got it "out" it may stop. At least it's a fun melody.
mmmmm, caches. more caches. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Blitz is Here!!! Reply with quote

WE've got several in the works, one for a Pathfinder group, one for the kiddies, and one that I've been working on for almost a year! Just hope my spots aren't taken before we cam get them out! Very Happy
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Start Date Reply with quote

As we hope many people will get their caches out before the 1st day of the blitz, and have the approvers 'make live' these caches on the March 31st, I'd like to remind people that the guidelines state that the approvers need 10 days lead-time for this kind of ‘coordinated publishing’.

So..............

Get your caches created and submitted before March 21st!!!!
That is only 3 weeks and counting.

Personally I had big plans for a series, but 3 weeks does not give enough weekends for scouting, planning, creating pages, placing caches and inevitably correcting mistakes. I’m a bit disappointed as I always find this a fun thing to put together.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: The Blitz is Here!!! Reply with quote

(whispers) Psst. Hey CB. I'd be more than happy to phone you in "sick" at work CB. We love your caches and series. It's right wicked of you to tease us this way with what might have been so I'd be more than happy to help you create time. Twisted Evil

(aloud) Oh that is bad news for us to hear.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Blitz is Here!!! Reply with quote

Well I have 5 caches laying around half done for about a year that I might be able to finish.
bcrockcrawler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The Blitz is Here!!! Reply with quote

Here on the Island we just had a blitz but I read about the BCGA Blitz so I saved a couple of them for it and xstitcher is putting together one too....
I'm sure I can come up with a couple more before March 21. Not sure if they'll be as tough as The Green Mile and Damn, retirement is coming fast.. But I do have one or two sick ideas..... Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Blitz is Here!!! Reply with quote

PS---- Ballroom Blitz is never going to sound quite the same for some reason.....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: The Blitz is Here!!! Reply with quote

Please don't misunderstand about the March 21st date. Blitz caches can be put in up to the last day of the Blitz, but they won't get many votes. I was just saying, if we wanted the 'big bang' on March 31, then the target date is March 21 for submission. I think any caches submitted up to the first 10 days of April will have a good chance of getting enough votes. After that, it's a craps shoot.

Last edited by _canadianbacon_ on Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
scruffster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: The Blitz is Here!!! Reply with quote

I was told by a reliable source that approvers can't approve caches early and put them on a pile to be released at a certain date. They actually have to approve the caches on that particular date in question. I loosened the rules a bit since it is a lot to ask an approver to publish 100+ caches on the 1st. Anyone that wants an early start may do so by submitting a cache anytime on or after the 15th of March. No need to write an approver note. Any cache published after the date will be applicable for the Blitz.

Voting will begin on March 31st.
scruffster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The Blitz is Here!!! Reply with quote

Actually, voting can start anytime. The system works well. It may take us a few hours to get the caches into the system after they're published. We'll try to get them in as quick as possible.
QuigleyJones

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Blitz is Here!!! Reply with quote

Can they be added prior to being posted?
scruffster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Blitz is Here!!! Reply with quote

The BCGA sees new caches along with everyone else. We don't have any magic mirror to view them before they're published on Groundspeak. So when everyone is out getting their FTFs remember that poor Scruffy, CanadianBacon and a handful of directors will be manually entering the recently published Blitz caches into the voting system.
Groundhog and Shadow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: The Blitz is Here!!! Reply with quote

I've got my caches submitted a few weeks ago with a reviewer note to release them on April 1. One was accidently published and then the reviewer decommissioned it with an apology to me. I hope it all goes as intended now after reading your note as I'm not at home and haven't finished putting the actual caches out yet so can't ask mtn-man to go ahead and publish them now.

Question: Do we need to add the Cache Blitz wording to the title or just Blitz, as many of my titles are pretty long already?
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Blitz is Here!!! Reply with quote

add

Blitz 07:

to the front of the cache name for faster addition to the voting system.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Blitz is Here!!! Reply with quote

Is it allowed for a cacher to vote for their own cache? It seems that the option is available for the voting page, but I would like to know what the skunk says about this.
QuigleyJones

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Blitz is Here!!! Reply with quote

So long as you give all ones I think it would be acceptable Razz

I would be nice to know the current scores of caches but I guess thats not really an option.
scruffster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Blitz is Here!!! Reply with quote

Oh my. I have questions to answer...

Groundhog & Shadow -- The only way we know it is a Blitz cache is if it has "Blitz 07:" in front of it. The voting system searches the new caches in BC and adds them automatically. If it doesn't have Blitz in front then it will take a lot of emails and a lot of time for it to be registered on the voting system by hand.

General Tupperware -- If Prime Ministers and Presidents can vote for themselves then I see no problem with cache owners voting for their own caches. With the amount of votes being tabulated it shouldn't make that much of a statistical difference in regards to first place.
scruffster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Blitz is Here!!! Reply with quote

Quigley -- I'm sure everyone is curious to see how their caches are doing. However, it might be considered unfair to release the current status. Some people might be inclined to vote differently with that additional information. I can give some basic stats, though.

So far we have 52 caches entered in the Blitz. 61 votes have been placed by 20 voters. I'm happy to say that from the caches I've visited and the pages I've seen as I've loaded the caches to the voting system, the general public is voting fair. Everyone is paying attention to how they're voting and doing so appropriately. Not one single cache nor cache owner is running away with top votes in all categories. However, there are a few caches that are standing out above the others. The top spot in all categories is still up for grabs. The voting has only just begun and it's still anyone's game.
General_Tupperware

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: The Blitz is Here!!! Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers!
General_Tupperware

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The Blitz is Here!!! Reply with quote

Oh, another question/suggestion...
Could something be implemented so that we know how many votes our cache has recieved? It bugs me to not know if everyone who found my cache voted for it or not...
GT
scruffster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Blitz is Here!!! Reply with quote

Not everyone that visits a cache is voting. From what I see about one quarter of all visitors vote. This doesn't mean they will not vote in the future, however. It appears that most cachers are waiting to get 10 or so caches under their belt so they can compare. Then they vote for several visited caches at once.
msthebrain and pinky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: The Blitz is Here!!! Reply with quote

Well I haven't been out caching as much lately but managed to grab a few this weekend The New Blitz caches are great innovated cache containers and neat hide spots must get out and get some more caches
Icenrye

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Blitz is Here!!! Reply with quote

Sorry to steal this thread but........
I'm putting together a season 2 boxset of the videozine. Episodes 11 to 20.
Problem is, since I've gone to a 30 minute show, I can't fit 5 episodes on a single layer DVD.
I'm looking for dual layer DVD's at a super low price or no price. With all the tech folk in the Lower Mainland area, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or donations! Laughing

If I can get some disks, I'll try to have the set ready for the Blitz parties and will be able to provide some for prizes.

Thanks!
MsChief-Gps_y

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: The Blitz is Here!!! Reply with quote

A public Thanks for all the fine caches put out this Blitz. I haven't got to them all yet but the ones I have Found have been excellent from the ingenuity to the gem-spots of placement. Very satisfying.
What a great Blitz it's being....going to one fun Event finale.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: The Blitz is Here!!! Reply with quote

The blitz is almost over and we would like to encourage everyone to vote on every blitz cache they found, whether or not you liked the cache. So please, remember to vote!
scruffster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The Blitz is Here!!! Reply with quote

The votes are now in. All we have to do is wait until the weekend and see who will be awarded for their efforts. There were a lot of great Blitz Caches out there. Does anyone have any guesses who will win? I think people will be pleasantly surprised.
jangor

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: The Blitz is Here!!! Reply with quote

The smart money for the winner is on the WWB cache lurking in the wilds above Ioco. That's my bet and I'm sticking to it. If you haven't been there, go before the weekend so you can see this one. Well worth the trip.
scruffster

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: The Blitz is Here!!! Reply with quote

Jangor is right. The smart money would be on Wildwigglybeanz except for one thing. Leviathan Lurking is disqualified. Although the BCGA directors participated in the Blitz we thought it best to take ourselves out of the running. It might be considered a conflict of interest if BCGA directors won prizes. But that is OK, we have the rest of our caching life to compete.
MsChief-Gps_y

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: The Blitz is Here!!! Reply with quote

I didn't know the Directors were out of the running. On one hand I can see the point, on the other hand I don't. Would anyone really accuse BCGA of rigging the votes on a first class cache like Leviathon Lurking?

Anyone who has done it knows it is outstanding. The caching drums have been beating encouraging everyone to "go do it asap" There are a couple of "top" caches this Blitz and this is certainly one of them.
I admire the time, skill and creativity that went into this one.
Thank You, Thank You Thank You WWW's for the funnest cache. Very Happy For all the work you put into it. Take a bow! Big round of applause. I really appreciated it. No, I take that back. I Loved it. Very Happy First time I ever took a video of a cache.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Blitz is Here!!! Reply with quote

Pssst. Why dontcha get together with a few other cachers and give Ms. Beanz an appreciation award. Don't worry, she never reads the forums so it would still be a surprise. **teehee**
MsChief-Gps_y

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: The Blitz is Here!!! Reply with quote

hmm..good thing I noticed your posting Mr. S. as I never received a notification alerting me and it's been almost 24 hours. She never reads the forums? Pity. Anybody want to do what the Skunk suggests? contact me....shhhh.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The Blitz is Here!!! Reply with quote

I broke my foot and haven't been able to play. Well, my toe really, but I shattered it good. Its still swollen up.

I plan on bringing a couple of hand made prizes to the blitz in the 'wack. The others I'm going to make to add to my geocache trade supplies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1