CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» 2007 BC Geocoin - input requested
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Alpine Meadow
Alpine Meadow:  [?] . In the summer, alpine meadows across British Columbia burst into colour. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Caching Containers
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» 2007 BC Geocoin - input requested
toplefttopfilltopright
2007 BC Geocoin - input requested
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
landsharkz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: 2007 BC Geocoin - input requested Reply with quote

Here in the studio, we're beginning to talk about the 2007 BC Geocoin. These things take time... It was about 1 year ago that we got involved in discussions of the 2006 BC Geocoin and it was finally released in April. Partly it took a while because it was the first and we all learned a lot during that process - ya, some of us more than others Laughing !

For those that haven't seen the 2006 BC Geocoin, it has art of an orca created in traditional and First Nation styles on the front and the reverse is a scene of a lake, Fraser Valley Cheam range with trees and an eagle soaring overhead - beautiful BC scenery Smile .

Rather than us create what we think would be representative of BC, we would like to involve BC cachers again. The only paramaters that we'd like to present are: same diameter, round, with a similar theme of animal/fish/bird on one side and a BC scene on the other. We are thrilled to have First Nation artist Tom Spetter on board again to create the combined traditional/native art.

Please share your ideas for the critter and also which feature of BC to showcase this time. It can be geographical or man-made. We're throwing out the idea of a land mammal like a cougar and something from the Okanagan like the Myra Canyon Trestles. Can we start discussions there and see where this goes?
Groundhog and Shadow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 2007 BC Geocoin - input requested Reply with quote

As far as mammals go, what about the white spirit bear as that is unique to BC? If you do scenery/landmark in the Okanagan, I'd suggest putting a quail on the other side as they are everywhere in these "thar parts!" Besides, they have their own distinct look. My 3rd choice would be the BC Salmon.

For the landmark/scenery side, your suggestion of the Myra Canyon Trestles is good. Something similar would be the Trout Creek KVR Trestle in Summerland with the Kettle Valley Steam Locomotive on top of it. We took that train ride this summer and it was quite the experience. The train actually goes onto the trestle, and stops for a few minutes before refueling with water and heading back.

Other ideas for the Okanagan: apple orchards or grape vineyards/wineries. (hey that would look good with the quail!)

Ooops its midnight so can't think anymore!
grafinator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 2007 BC Geocoin - input requested Reply with quote

Not sure if it is too late for input, but I like the idea of a mountain lion. I also would be happy with a moose or a grizzly bear as well.

For a location on the flip side I would be happy with the trestles even though I have never heard of them. They look pretty interesting. I would also be happy with the Fraser Canyon, Golden Ears, Stawamus Chief.

I'm not sure if it is possible, but I think it would also be nice to have the location in small writing on the coin saying where it is as well maybe the chosen animals name in latin as well.

But that is just the biology nerd in me.

Whatever the final decisions are, I look forward to seeing the new coin.
grafinator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 2007 BC Geocoin - input requested Reply with quote

Maybe on a future BC coin a picture of a fossil from the Burgess Sahle would be interesting?
coast2coast2coast

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 2007 BC Geocoin - input requested Reply with quote

I like the idea of the white spirit bear or a griz too... Although the Cougar is a mighty fine example of feline, I have to admit that I am not to fond of them as every year it seems that a youngster on the Island gets mauled by one. Anywhoooo My two cents worth for now… I’ll put some more thought into it and reply later… I think that the 2006 BC coin is one of if not the finest Geocoin around. It will be tough to top that one but I’m sure Landsharkz is up to the task.
Agent zero

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 2007 BC Geocoin - input requested Reply with quote

No Beavers!
landsharkz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 2007 BC Geocoin - input requested Reply with quote

As much as I like beaver :wink:, I promise there will not be one on the 2007 BC Geocoin.

Chris
DocMagoo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: 2007 BC Geocoin - input requested Reply with quote

Just throwin' this one out there.... Our province once brought thousands upon thousands of treasure seekers here during the Cariboo Gold Rush. It's not a prominent physical landform, but Barkerville (or a portion of the journey to Barkerville) "might" be of some interest.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 2007 BC Geocoin - input requested Reply with quote

Steam Trains, Gold Rush, Raging Rivers, Snowy Peaks, Dogwood Flower, Salmon, Big Trees, Glaciers are all good. Personaly I'd rather not see any more native art, thats been done.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 2007 BC Geocoin - input requested Reply with quote

The Native art on the last coin is a HUGE reason we bought one!
landsharkz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 2007 BC Geocoin - input requested Reply with quote

Love it or hate it, we will be keeping to the theme of having the animal/fish/bird in the dual style of First Nation and traditional art as we did with the 2006 version.
scruffster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 2007 BC Geocoin - input requested Reply with quote

The first BC Geocoin is by far my favourite to date. I like the idea of the spirit bear. It's a creature that is very much in the spotlight right now. Just so you know, Pacific Northwest Native art is very popular in Europe -- especially in the Scandanavian countries. Every time I show tourists from Europe around they're looking for some type of native art -- usually something original, not a mini-totem in a tourist shop. Think of marketing to that area of the world.
scruffster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 2007 BC Geocoin - input requested Reply with quote

Oh, I forgot to mention. A skunk. Yes, a skunk should be on the next coin. Everyone vote for a skunk. **snarfle**
landsharkz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 2007 BC Geocoin - input requested Reply with quote

scruffster wrote:
The first BC Geocoin is by far my favourite to date. I like the idea of the spirit bear. It's a creature that is very much in the spotlight right now. Just so you know, Pacific Northwest Native art is very popular in Europe -- especially in the Scandanavian countries. Every time I show tourists from Europe around they're looking for some type of native art -- usually something original, not a mini-totem in a tourist shop. Think of marketing to that area of the world.

We got an e-mail from a geocacher in England who had bought some 2006 BC Geocoins. She said her friend had a print on her wall done by Tom Spetter (the BC First Nation artist who designed the orcas) that she'd bought on a trip to Vancouver Island. She was thrilled to see he was involved with the coin she'd bought!

We're going to be featuring some of Tom's giclee prints in our Wallpaper section in the new year and linking to his own site for anyone that wants to check out his giclee art prints or photographic work. We have a couple of his works here on the office wall if anyone wants to see them when you're in Victoria.
Helen
landsharkz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 2007 BC Geocoin - input requested Reply with quote

scruffster wrote:
Oh, I forgot to mention. A skunk. Yes, a skunk should be on the next coin. Everyone vote for a skunk. **snarfle**
yea, we'll get right on that one! Shocked Laughing
We'll rub your cute little red nose, but that's it, sorry scruffster!
scruffster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 2007 BC Geocoin - input requested Reply with quote

But but but...

... the skunk is revered in Native stories. It's true.

Pacific Northwest First Nations talk of the skunk all the time. Ledgend has it that the bear is known for his claws that rip open a stump in one slash. The cougar's sharp teeth bite into prey with one chomp. But all the mighty animals of the forest are aware of the skunk. For the skunk never starts a fight but finishes it with one dose of the tail. Nobody dies. Nobody is permanently harmed. Thus, the skunk is known as the arbitrator of the forest. For centuries the skunk has been symbolic of peace -- a way of solving differences without weapons of war.

Now doesn't that sit with the ideals of British Columbians??? Yes, the skunk!!! The skunk it is!!!

**teehee**
scruffster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 2007 BC Geocoin - input requested Reply with quote

Yes, skunks are the most underestimated animals but one day we will be known.

Having said that, I still like the idea of either the Dogwood or the Spirit (Kermode) Bear on the coin.
landsharkz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 2007 BC Geocoin - input requested Reply with quote

scruffster wrote:
... For the skunk never starts a fight but finishes it with one dose of the tail.
This sounds like chemical warfare Scruff... Not sure that is allowed any more Confused

We are going to be making a final decision on the coin art in the next few days. If anyone has any final thought please let us know.

There are a lot of good ideas here. I can assure you, that if you're idea is not incorporated in this year's coin, it likely will be in the future.

We'll even give the skunk serious consideration Very Happy
Icenrye

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 2007 BC Geocoin - input requested Reply with quote

Well to represent the northern half of the province, we need some red pine trees! Laughing
MaliBooBoo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: 2007 BC Geocoin - input requested Reply with quote

I agree with Icenrye. And maybe with a silhouette of a MPB in the foreground...Or maybe Mr. PG could be on it?
stormcloud

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: 2007 BC Geocoin - input requested Reply with quote

I like the idea of the Gold rush theme. There are variety of themes within this. Mining has been a big part of the development of the Province right from the beginning. It would represent the entire province also.

Forestry is another theme that would represent the entire province.

As for an animal to represent the Province on the coins Mountian Goats are found right from the north to the south both along the rockies and the coast range.
V-I-cacher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: 2007 BC Geocoin - input requested Reply with quote

how about a Lumberjack?

Leaping from tree to tree as they float down the mighty rivers of british columbia............
Dunworley

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: 2007 BC Geocoin - input requested Reply with quote

Just a thought for a future coin--the Kinsol Trestle. It won't be around much longer as no one has seen fit to repair it and it is a historic structure. If it has already been done, I wouldn't mind getting one of the coins.
QuigleyJones

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 2007 BC Geocoin - input requested Reply with quote

V-I-cacher wrote:
how about a Lumberjack?

Leaping from tree to tree as they float down the mighty rivers of british columbia............
Dont think a Lumberjack dressed in womens clothings would be a hot seller.

I think it should include one of the tallships that helped make BC colonized. Very Happy
landsharkz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 2007 BC Geocoin - input requested Reply with quote

Ok, it's taken a while to get our heads around the design this year for a number of reasons.

We seriously considered art representative of the Myra Canyon Trestles with an appropriate animal on the back. We have decided however to make this year's coin represent a different trestle... a beautiful trestle that is in dire need of restoration... It should be part of the Trans Canada Trail network on Vancouver Island, but instead, there is an 8km detour around it. It is on the block for demolition due to lack of public awareness and commitment of government funds.

Those of you that love the Myra Canyon Trestles and have followed their history since the recent fires will understand the importance of public awareness in shaping local and provincial political desire to restore these beautiful historic structures.

We've decided to feature the Kinsol Trestle which is a gateway to the Cowichan Valley. The reverse image this year will feature a cougar, common in this area as well as other parts of the province. Time is of the essence to save this trestle, please have a look at Kinsol Trestle for more information.

We will be making these coins available in a non-geocoin version for any groups that would like to use them to raise awareness.

We promise we will get to the rest of the province on future BC coins. We have a 5 year plan for these coins Smile
plumbrokeacres

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: 2007 BC Geocoin - input requested Reply with quote

Can't wait to see it! Hopefully I can make it out this summer to see the bridge
Dunworley

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 2007 BC Geocoin - input requested Reply with quote

Very glad you chose the Kinsol Trestle. It does my old heart good to see it get some well deserved reconition. I will take at least three of the first run.
Thanks.
Dunworley

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 2007 BC Geocoin - input requested Reply with quote

And one of these days I will learn how to spell 'recognition'
landsharkz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: 2007 BC Geocoin - input requested Reply with quote

Very Happy Samples will be ready on April 30th!!! Very Happy
koakai

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 2007 BC Geocoin - input requested Reply with quote

Excellent. Looking forward to aquiring a few. Smile
Icenrye

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 2007 BC Geocoin - input requested Reply with quote

landsharkz wrote:
The reverse image this year will feature a cougar, common in this area as well as other parts of the province.

May I suggest this Cougar? Laughing
koakai

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 2007 BC Geocoin - input requested Reply with quote

Damn! Just checked out the proof of this coin in the landsharkz coin gallery!

I swear I am going to have to aquire a number of these fellows, they look even -better- then the 2006 coins. Wink
Dunworley

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: 2007 BC Geocoin - input requested Reply with quote

Hey Guys
You did good! I hope you got a lot minted. I want at least five to start, maybe more. They are going to be part of my Christmas shopping for this year.
landsharkz

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: 2007 BC Geocoin - input requested Reply with quote

Thanks for your kind words Very Happy but it's not ready yet... see the note on our home page written over the sepia tone photo we took of the trestle.
The mint didn't quite get the train, background and trestle just right, so they're re-doing the 3D die. Also, the cougar is supposed to be painted with one paint type and the rest of the paint is another paint type... that also was missed by the mint on the sample Confused . We thought if the pictures were small enough, you'd be able to appreciate what it is going to look like without seeing the mistakes that we pointed out.

All-in-all though, if you're liking this one, you're gonna love the final when it's all fixed up!! You'll certainly have it in time for Christmas Dunworley, hopefully much sooner than that Laughing !
Dunworley

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: 2007 BC Geocoin - input requested Reply with quote

Did I read somewhere that you were going to officially unveil the 'Kinsol' coin at Kinsol Trestle? If so, I would love to be there. I'm going to be away off and on all summer, but I will absolutely make time to come to the unveiling, where ever it is. That's one of the advantages of being retired-- time is flexible.
landsharkz

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: 2007 BC Geocoin - input requested Reply with quote

Yes, it's no secret, but it hasn't been publicly announced yet. We've been in discussion with the media in the Cowichan area and there will be a public unveiling of both the trackable and non-trackable coin at the Kinsol Trestle. We've had a lot of requests for a non trackable version of the 2006 edition, so we're doing two versions of the 2007 right off the bat. A noted Cowichan Valley author has offered to do the write up for us to promote the 2007 coin; he is very public about his support of the trestle and was pleased to be approached for assistance.

Right now the non trackable is for sale at a few touristy shops in Victoria only and we are going to have to re-order soon to keep up with demand. We took off the trackable wording and the laser engrave area and wrote 'British Columbia'. Our plan is to make a 5 year set of both the geocoin and also the collectible souvenir coin. Each will feature different animals and regions representative of BC. At some point I guess we'll need to design a display box for them all!
911turbos

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 2007 BC Geocoin - input requested Reply with quote

If anyone in the Lower Mainland would like to do a group order of the new BC coins to save on shipping costs, please let me know.
QuigleyJones

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 2007 BC Geocoin - input requested Reply with quote

I must say that looks awesome.

Me and hollyburn would likely be interested in a pair.
though rather than ship with 911 we might just wait for mine coins (viewable I see next to the 2007 BC).

Any idea on the mintage of the trackable ones?
landsharkz

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 2007 BC Geocoin - input requested Reply with quote

Last time we minted 1000, but I'm not sure that the market can bear that amount now. There were fewer geocoins in April 2006 when the 2006 BC was available. We'll start with a smaller quantity this time, but we will go as high as 1000 if the demand is there.
Dunworley

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 2007 BC Geocoin - input requested Reply with quote

The new 2007 British Columbia Geocoin is now posted on the 'Landsharkz ' site. For those of you who have not seen it, have a look. This is one is definetly up to their usual high standard. Chris, Tom, Helen and everyone involved should be commended. Check it out!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1