CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» BCGA —» Website Questions —» Newsletter
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Swans of Lonesome Lake
Swans of Lonesome Lake:  [?] . You might remember a book called "The Caruso of Lonesome Lake" where Ralph Edwards saved the BC Trumpeter swans from extinction from the 1920's to the 1950s. It was almost required reading for our generation in elementry school in the 70s. Edwards cabin burnt down in the BC fires of 2004. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Caching Containers
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» BCGA —» Website Questions —» Newsletter
toplefttopfilltopright
Newsletter
Questions, comments and suggestions about this website? Post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Website Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
South Surrey Scavengers

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: Newsletter Reply with quote

I've been subscribed to the newsletter for the last 2 years but I don't think I've ever received one. Has one ever been published?

scruffster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: Newsletter Reply with quote

For the last year, the newsletter function has been used to alert subscribers of newest caches. I'm not sure if the BCGA needs to mail out a newsletter since the website news (and now the forums) covers most everything the BCGA is currently doing. The current directors have been working for three months now and another message from the driectors is due to be published soon.
South Surrey Scavengers

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: Newsletter Reply with quote

scruffster wrote:
For the last year, the newsletter function has been used to alert subscribers of newest caches. I'm not sure if the BCGA needs to mail out a newsletter since the website news (and now the forums) covers most everything the BCGA is currently doing. The current directors have been working for three months now and another message from the driectors is due to be published soon.
Are you saying the newsletter is mailed out or e-mailed out? Either way I don't think I ever received one. Perhaps because I wasn't a "paid" member?

South Surrey Scavengers

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: Newsletter Reply with quote

Apparently I got my first newsletter e-mail today. Mentioning 3 new caches in my area. Is this all I can expect from the newsletter? Because I already have the Instant Log Notification Feature at geocaching.com which keeps me up to date.

scruffster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Newsletter Reply with quote

Yes, the newsletter will only alert you to new caches. If you have that function on groundspeak I guess it would be double dipping to keep the BCGA newsletter online.
landsharkz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Newsletter Reply with quote

I've found sometimes that the BCGA notification arrives in my inbox well before the notification from Groundspeak. Also if Groundspeak is having server issues you'll still get them from BCGA... we got a few FTF's one day before anyone had got their Groundspeak notifications! I was back home and making dinner when the Groundspeak notifications finally arrived in our inbox. That was really Cool and the locals were wondering how we did it! Of course the response was.... if you joined the BCGA you too would have an advantage!
QuigleyJones

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Newsletter Reply with quote

So then how do the notifications work? Is there a program that scans the new caches page?

($#*@! forgot about the quick reply)
scruffster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Newsletter Reply with quote

Yes, the BCGA has a bot that scans for new caches published. The system works quite well. I've received several cache alerts before others by using the system.
QuigleyJones

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: Newsletter Reply with quote

I didn't get one for Jan 6th?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Newsletter Reply with quote

Because of all the changes at GC.COM, our new cache alert is no longer working. I spend several hours looking at why, but can't see what changed.

Basically, our scanner can't logon to a geocaching.com account, they have changed something on the logon page.

For now I've turned it off, until I have more free time to investigate.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Newsletter Reply with quote

Just got the email (with 20 caches)
So is it working now?

PS thanks for getting my hopes up of getting a FTF today Very Happy
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Newsletter Reply with quote

Yup.... Was simple to fix once I tracked it down. Old Cookie File with wrong info in it. The joys of accessing web pages programatically.

For those who want alerts, go to your profile, turn on the News Letter.

The system looks for new cahes every 30 minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Newsletter Reply with quote

We got ours too!! I didn't realize how much I liked that newsletter until it stopped coming Crying or Very sad . Thanks for fixing it CB! Very Happy
Helen
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Newsletter Reply with quote

landsharkz wrote:
We got ours too!! I didn't realize how much I liked that newsletter until it stopped coming Crying or Very sad . Thanks for fixing it CB! Very Happy
Helen
Your welcome.
Now only if it was readable on my phone..... hmmmm.
Version 2 maybe. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Newsletter Reply with quote

Yah, Thanks CB.
QuigleyJones

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Newsletter Reply with quote

Might I ask whats with all these old caches being sent? Confused
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: Newsletter Reply with quote

Catching up Database so search can be more complete.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Newsletter Reply with quote

I just noticed that caches that are premium members only caches Rolling Eyes are sent to me with the google map coords still on it Very Happy

Doesn't really mean much as theres still none in Vancouver Very Happy and I can get the coords anyway with the search nearest too function. Wink
MsChief-Gps_y

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Newsletter Reply with quote

Have the changes at gc.com interruped the New Caches search? I'm getting the notifications in the range of 9 days late and so of course still haven't received notifications of this weeks new caches. First time Groundspeaks notifications beat BCGA's.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Newsletter Reply with quote

I have been receiving all my notifications from BCGA just fine, received a ton of emails yesterday.
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Newsletter Reply with quote

There were TONS of caches released yesterday.
There has been ongoing late email from GC in the last couple months, so the late delivery is pretty common issue.

PQ's rarely arrive on the day they should, if they come at all.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Newsletter Reply with quote

I usually get the BCGA's notification within an hour of any cache being released. However with the last big release the cache near me took 5h to have an email sent.
scruffster

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Newsletter Reply with quote

I think it depends on the mail server you're using. I have been using Hotmail and I've noticed that sometimes I receive alerts quickly while other people receive them late and vise versa. It's my understanding that the BCGA newsletter program checks every 15 minutes and sends out alerts instantly if new caches are found. It is a common practice that mail servers hold messages received during times the mail server is busy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Website Questions
Page 1 of 1