CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» BCGA —» Website Questions —» A New Look
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Tofino
Tofino:  [?] . Visit Pacific Rim National Park near Tofino. Kilometers of unspoiled beaches. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» BCGA —» Website Questions —» A New Look
toplefttopfilltopright
A New Look
Questions, comments and suggestions about this website? Post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Website Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scruffster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: A New Look Reply with quote

The Website has a new look -- again.

This came around when the last theme fell far short on the technical side. OK, I went for aesthetics over function. Was I ever wrong.

This time around I hope we have managed to balance the two with a pleasantly looking web page while still allowing the techies to push all the buttons.

I hope everyone likes it,

Scruffster.
V-I-cacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: A New Look Reply with quote

test234 test234... certainly looks less appealing, but if this message works, then atleast the site is functional Razz
Catapult Jeff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: A New Look Reply with quote

I'm not having too much trouble using it, so I like it. Will it do all the thimgs it should do? I will have to play and find out. Good stuff Scruff.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: A New Look Reply with quote

V-I-cacher wrote:
test234 test234... certainly looks less appealing, but if this message works, then atleast the site is functional Razz

I disagree, I like the new look better...more "earthly" in keeping with our geo-sport. I like the "rub the Skunk" ad as well, thought that was cute!

Pretty soon we'll have deer in the background of the home page that leap across the screen....wait, shouldn't that be reindeer? Laughing

scruffster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: A New Look Reply with quote

Yep, it should do all the things available for the Dragonfly system. I like the toggle buttons. The little up and down arrows will take off a block. Use the one on top and it will take off all blocks and the forums will be full page. Click on the button again and the side blocks will be restored. I'm happy with it and it's good to see others are too.
QuigleyJones

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: A New Look Reply with quote

Its different for sure, the old one was more businessy/professional while this ones more outdoorsy/amateurish.

...But palm trees?
scruffster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: A New Look Reply with quote

Cool. I like the "amateurish" comment. It takes a lot of professionalism to create that. Most websites are cold and look like a space game. The new theme has all the bells and whistles and twice the technical power as the old one. But it's still inviting and outdoors looking. That's what I was hoping for.

As for the palm trees, have you checked Beach Avenue in Vancouver lately? I also grew up in a Spanish house with palms. It's a little Canadian joke. BC plants palm trees because we can. Ontario cant. **wink**

Quiggley was the first one to catch that --- or at least mention the palms.
msthebrain and pinky

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: A New Look Reply with quote

Hey I Love that amateurish Look. But what i want to know is where are the Palms?? Very Happy
V-I-cacher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: A New Look Reply with quote

e.g. at the bottom of a thread in the forum, just under the quick-reply...
...no wait... actually it seems to move around a bit... guess it has to do with the length of the thread of where it ends up... it is a background graphic... I actually had noticed it the first time around, but didn't thought anything much of it... i like palm trees Razz
DocMagoo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: A New Look Reply with quote

It look about 3-4 pages before the newest changes to the default refreshed their way onto the website, but it looks much better with the white links on the banner and the left menus now don't hover around mid page. Nice work! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: A New Look Reply with quote

If you(se) like it and are happy, then I am happy. It's that simple. Love the new photo of our "back yard" except for the fact it's like a siren calling...calling me to cache, taunting me while the snow still hides the treasures I must seek. If only the skunk's nose was a magic lantern, rub it and the snow goes away. Soon......

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: A New Look Reply with quote

We think the new look is awesome and very appealing you guys are doing an awesome job. Thanx Very Happy
Half-Canadian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: A New Look Reply with quote

Nice job, Scruff...I really like this new look. Looks friendly and welcoming. Great work!!
landsharkz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: A New Look Reply with quote

We like it, we like it, we like it! Yea Scruffster!
scruffster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: A New Look Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. It's nice to keep everything fresh. In the future we may have a series to showcase caching around the province. Future headers may include:

Cities and towns across BC

Animals

Landscapes

Believe it or not, I know where most of those pictures were taken and there would be a link to a cache nearest to where the picture was taken. Hmmmm, maybe I wouldn't have a link and make people guess. Bwa ha ha ha ha ha. That would make a good puzzle cache.
scruffster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: A New Look Reply with quote

Oops. I haven't told CB that he may have more work to do yet. Shhhhhhhh. Don't tell him, OK???
Awesome One and Mrs.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: A New Look Reply with quote

Our lips are sealed no worries Scruff, CB will never know Rolling Eyes
scruffster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: A New Look Reply with quote

CB knows now. He's been working hard on some new headers. Who squealed?

I like the ever changing headers. I hope everyone else does too. Give CB a hand since he's the one that makes these things happen. I just do the shopping, he's the one that cooks the dinner.
MsChief-Gps_y

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: A New Look Reply with quote

From Babe: That'll do pig

Jus' kidding.
Hardly the most fulsome praise....I wanted to post 5 stars but can't see a way to....actually he deserves more....way to go CB.........Thanks for being so good to all of us. You work and we reap the benefit.
And we do appreciate it..... Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: A New Look Reply with quote

Skunk man - new site is awesome ! Love the pictures !
Thanks CB for all your hard work - we are very lucky to have such a web guru around. I give it a full five stars too !
Catapult Jeff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: A New Look Reply with quote

I like the look with the ads to the side now. The top banner ads were starting to get to me.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: A New Look Reply with quote

It has been interesting watching this site evolve as it's been in the hands of different caretakers. Wink . Everyone has had different preferences and ideas on how to organize, lay it out and of course none have been good or bad, simply different. Change is so important because it means life and movement, evolution and is to be celebrated. And it's certainly been the right of whoever has been in charge to have it the way they thought best as they took over from the next.
I like change, variety and the constant drive to keep it fresh.
It's wonderful having forums again. I appreciate the thought and time that's been put into an evolving BCGA from the beginning to now.
Youse are very much appreciated.
(here's where I wish I had a way to insert the "applause" I'd wanted-lol)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: A New Look Reply with quote

CB and I are still working on subtle changes that hopefully will improve everyone's visit.

Many people may have noticed that the glaring green background on everyone's forum posts have been switched for something a bit more subtle. It should be much easier to read posts and spot links.

Other backgrounds have been changed. Yes, Quigley Jones, no more palm trees. **teehee**
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Website Questions
Page 1 of 1