CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» New Global TB Challenge
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Fort Steele
Fort Steele:  [?] . Fort Steele is a Heritage Town, where visitors can travel back in time to the 1890s and enjoy daily re-enactments of the town's past history and heritage year-round. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Caching Containers
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» New Global TB Challenge
toplefttopfilltopright
New Global TB Challenge
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
koakai

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: New Global TB Challenge Reply with quote

Unlike the Jeep challenge, this contest is global. It is desgined to raise awareness of Diabetes.

20000 special TB tags will be released, and anyone, anywhere inthe world can request one. Other then that it is just like the jeep challlenge with four quarters, and four prizes to be won.

Check it out here.
Unite
koakai

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: New Global TB Challenge Reply with quote

Ohh, that link text is really hrd to read against the green. Anyhow, also wanted to add that word of this challenge is brought to you by the friendly team at podcacher, the podcast about geocaching. And as of right now, it is a global exclusive. Wink Check them out if you get a chance as well.
Podcacher
coast2coast2coast

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: New Global TB Challenge Reply with quote

Cool I just asked 4 one.
Love Bugs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: New Global TB Challenge Reply with quote

Ok so maybe it is just me. But since when does anyone need my password on GC.com to be able to recieve one of thier travel bugs. Could someone please explain this to me. With all the news nowadays about Identity theft I am always worried about it.
Maybe I am being a litle too suspicious. I would like to help with this cacuse as my Grandfather had Diabetes and a good friends mother eventually died from complications from diabetes. Releasing a TB in their memory would be nice.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: New Global TB Challenge Reply with quote

Love Bugs wrote:
Ok so maybe it is just me. But since when does anyone need my password on GC.com to be able to recieve one of thier travel bugs. Could someone please explain this to me. With all the news nowadays about Identity theft I am always worried about it.
Maybe I am being a litle too suspicious. I would like to help with this cacuse as my Grandfather had Diabetes and a good friends mother eventually died from complications from diabetes. Releasing a TB in their memory would be nice.
It is a Geocaching.com web-site, so I don't think there would be a problem.
unite.geocaching.com/signup/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New Global TB Challenge Reply with quote

Thanks CB, I will request one. You have set my paranoid mind at ease.

Bug

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New Global TB Challenge Reply with quote

[quote="_canadianbaconIt is a Geocaching.com web-site, so I don't think there would be a problem.
unite.geocaching.com/signup/[/quote]

If you work through the site it looks good but there are not a lot of specifics. Look at their contact page, it's a standard email, no name or company employee is mentioned, it's very generic. Who is funding the TB's? No mention of that either. As a matter of fact, if you look through all the pages there's not much specific of anything!

I think it's a great idea and a great subject to promote: I too have reservations about the "password" requirement and the whole presentation in general.

I'm taking a "wait and see" approach.... Confused

koakai

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: New Global TB Challenge Reply with quote

Groundspeak is sponsoring it, in conjuction with a large international company Merck Sharp & Dohme. Never heard of them myself, but the challenge is now up on the main page, so that should help set people at ease.
tjguy98

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New Global TB Challenge Reply with quote

Thanks for pointing out that GC.com has advertised it on their home page. That certainly lends credence to the authenticity of program.
And now I can understand why they want your password....to verify it's really "you" asking for the TB.

Have already signed up and requested my TB.....

grafinator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: New Global TB Challenge Reply with quote

I too have requested one.
I think this could be a fun contest and hopefully increase awareness as well.
koakai

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: New Global TB Challenge Reply with quote

Finally got a chance to listen to the show while at work.

Cool idea. Not only is the contest international, but each of the bugs has a home 'city' that it wants to reach. These cities are randomly assigned, and are all over the world. their goal is to travel to these cities, raising awareness on the way, and then to visit the caches in that city in a sort of perpetual loop from cache to cache, continuing to raise awareness this way.

Other cool random factoid from today's podcast: Brian from groundspeak said that they are working on a geocaching exhibit maze with Trimble, Garmin, etc. It is supposed to be 20,000 square feet, and it will travel from science center to science center, teaching about GPS, navigation, and the like.
msthebrain and pinky

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New Global TB Challenge Reply with quote

I have seen the Diabetes TB and guess what there's a new icon ,The one I picked up wants to go to Eygypt, anyone going soon or do I have to talk to a Travel Agent
Team K1W1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: New Global TB Challenge Reply with quote

msthebrain and pinky wrote:
I have seen the Diabetes TB and guess what there's a new icon ,The one I picked up wants to go to Eygypt, anyone going soon or do I have to talk to a Travel Agent

Talk to a travel agent.
Very Happy Very Happy

Anne and I went to Egypt a couple of years ago. Amazing! A tough place to travel in, but not the toughest.

Steve
koakai

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New Global TB Challenge Reply with quote

Mine arrived in the mail today, destination is Massa, Italy.
TB1B1VF
agassiz_angel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New Global TB Challenge Reply with quote

I am still waiting for mine to come in the mail Sad How long do they take to arrive?

A cache a day keeps the rocking chair away Smile
koakai

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New Global TB Challenge Reply with quote

Well since mine arrived today and I requested it on the first day they were available, I would imagine that they will start to trickle in any day now. Which is about standard when you request something from the States, without any specific priority, over Christmas. Wink With all those non-productive mail days I was not sure when it would arrive.
QuigleyJones

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: New Global TB Challenge Reply with quote

Mine didn't come today and I think I ordered it the first day. (maybe second)

But my invisible shield for my GPS, certificates for the LMGA CITO event, and oakcoins geocoin came today Very Happy
msthebrain and pinky

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New Global TB Challenge Reply with quote

My Tb showed up today it wants to go to Fortworth Texas anyone headed that way
Brain
gotlost001

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: New Global TB Challenge Reply with quote

My TB came today and wants to go to Indonesia. I wish I had the one for Texas or Italy as I have friends and family in these places.
Love Bugs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New Global TB Challenge Reply with quote

We gor ours today, now if I can just figure out how I can get away to take it to San Diego, Costa Rica. I always have wanted to go there to do some caching aqnd fishing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: New Global TB Challenge Reply with quote

Got mine today... How's this for a dest.?

Confused Ranot, Thailand Confused

I'll have to Google that baby

Tom
coast2coast2coast

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New Global TB Challenge Reply with quote

Ahhhhh Ok Now I know where it is... Shocked Goole says:
Nearby Cities and Towns
West North East South
Ban Chiang Phong (1.0 nm) Ban Khok Khrao (1.4 nm)
Ban Khuan Khli (1.4 nm)
Ban Hua Wang (1) (1.0 nm)
Ban Khi Lek (1.4 nm) Ban Hua Thin (2.2 nm)
Ban Tha Bon (2.0 nm)
Ban U Taphao (2.0 nm)
Ban Bo Rak (2.0 nm) Ban Mahakan Tok (2.0 nm)
coast2coast2coast

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: New Global TB Challenge Reply with quote

Here is the closest cache to my destenation city...

Wang Burma Cache

The FTF is still WIDE open...Check out the pics on the cache page

C2C2C
Catapult Jeff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New Global TB Challenge Reply with quote

I received mine today. Looks like it wants to go to Bhuli, India. I don't think it should be that hard for it to get there.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: New Global TB Challenge Reply with quote

Hey Brian and Pinky,

I will be in California in early Feb. Big underground worldwide catapult championships (I'm going to win this year)thats closer to Texas. I'll take any that need to go that way, just let me know.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: New Global TB Challenge Reply with quote

Received mine today...any one ever heard of Ust-Kut?
Wikpedia says it's in South Central Siberia, a place where Leon Trotsky was once exiled....don't think I'm going to hand deliver this one Laughing

If I got one to release there must be one heading to Maple Ridge; problem is, I can't find one. Any body else care to search?

coast2coast2coast

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: New Global TB Challenge Reply with quote

Catapult Jeff wrote:
Hey Brian and Pinky,

I will be in California in early Feb. Big underground worldwide catapult championships (I'm going to win this year)thats closer to Texas. I'll take any that need to go that way, just let me know.
I didn't think that catapults would work so well underground what with the low ceilings and all Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
South Surrey Scavengers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: New Global TB Challenge Reply with quote

Got mine last week. Destination: Tergnier, France. I think I'll have a glass of wine when I get there. Or perhaps catch a bike race.

V-I-cacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New Global TB Challenge Reply with quote

coast2coast2coast wrote:
Catapult Jeff wrote:
Hey Brian and Pinky,

I didn't think that catapults would work so well underground what with the low ceilings and all Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

unless someone else is heading to MECHICO, you got yourself another O-Ring for the luggage...
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New Global TB Challenge Reply with quote

I juts got mine in the mail Venkatagiri
Which seems to be Here

I new I should have taken that job in Bangalore!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: New Global TB Challenge Reply with quote

Wow, the nearest 4 caches are 138km from my location, 3 caches in Bangalore (population 6 million)
www.geocaching.com/see...590517&f=1
and one in Chennai (populatin 4.2 million).
www.geocaching.com/see...f09aaa0704

You'd think with over 10 million people in those two cities, (even as poor as most are) their would be a few more caches! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New Global TB Challenge Reply with quote

My TB arrived this morning wanting to go to "Petaling Jaya and within Petaling Jaya Malaysia" - TB1AP4R - Sure wish I could hand deliver it but I'll enjoy it's travels.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1