CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» Regional —» Fraser Valley —» Enough Rain Already!
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Vancouver Island Marmot
Vancouver Island Marmot:  [?] . On the brink of extinction, spotting a Vancouver Island Marmot would be a rare event for any geocacher. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Worldcaching.com
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» Regional —» Fraser Valley —» Enough Rain Already!
toplefttopfilltopright
Enough Rain Already!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Fraser Valley

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chillibusher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Enough Rain Already! Reply with quote

The Vedder River is a raging torrent of water right now. It is at a 25 year water high and I just went through my caches and temp. disabled 10 of my caches as they are all in the flood level of the river. It will be interesting to see how many of these caches actually survive the high water. Anybody else have their caches disappear via high water this week?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Enough Rain Already! Reply with quote

Chillibusher wrote:
The Vedder River is a raging torrent of water right now. It is at a 25 year water high and I just went through my caches and temp. disabled 10 of my caches as they are all in the flood level of the river. It will be interesting to see how many of these caches actually survive the high water. Anybody else have their caches disappear via high water this week?

And here I thought the easy fix would just be to convince the GC approver to convert them to hydrocaches! Razz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Enough Rain Already! Reply with quote

I was watching the news last night and winceing as I thought, 'Well there goes half of the Chilliwack River caches'. I sure hope they survived as there are a lot of nice caches along there. Smile
Love Bugs

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Enough Rain Already! Reply with quote

Not only the Vedder River caches but maybe one of Grafinator's caches. Looked out the window yesterday into the parking lot wee Doc found #700 and there was a lake. The parking lot had about 8 inches of water in it. The area the cache is in was floded. I will try and check on the cache and let Grafinator know if it is still there or if it floated away.
Went for a drive yesterday morning over to dewdney to check out some locak fishing spots and everything including inch creek was very high. Inck Creek had loggs over twenty feet long coming down.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Enough Rain Already! Reply with quote

I took a drive up the Vedder River today after work. Holy cow! I have lived in Chilliwack most of my life and never seen it like that. I'm afraid most of my caches that I disabled last night will be history. The road up by my Anderson Pond cache was closed off completely so I couldn't even get a look at the area. I think I may have lost around 8 caches. Sad Sad Sad

I bet there will be many caches that will be gone. Even little areas like Bug mentioned have flooded (parking lots, creeks, etc.) Might be a good chance to put some new caches out now (or after it stops raining). I can just see some people picking up these funny little boxes down in Richmond somewhere along the Fraser and wondering how it got there from Chilliwack.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Enough Rain Already! Reply with quote

So sorry about your water worries over in big smoke Sad We're getting it too, but nothing like what you are by the sounds of it.

I'm trying to picture these nice waterproof lock n' locks floating away into the Strait ... we've sure seen wierd things wash up on our beaches... but this time it could be something we can log!

Last edited by landsharkz on Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
koakai

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Enough Rain Already! Reply with quote

Damn, I knew I should have written the coordinates on the inside. That way we could have 'legal' travelling caches as they attempt to make it back to their owners. Wink
scruffster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Enough Rain Already! Reply with quote

I was walking along the Fraser River in Burnaby this morning and I saw what looked like a little blue lock and lock bobbing in the middle of a small log jam not far from shore. It was too far out and too dangerous to retrieve it but I had to wonder if it belonged to someone I know. In reality, the chances of it being a cache are astronomical. There was a lot of debris in the river today.
Half-Canadian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Enough Rain Already! Reply with quote

scruffster wrote:
I was walking along the Fraser River in Burnaby this morning and I saw what looked like a little blue lock and lock bobbing in the middle of a small log jam not far from shore. It was too far out and too dangerous to retrieve it but I had to wonder if it belonged to someone I know. In reality, the chances of it being a cache are astronomical. There was a lot of debris in the river today.

Heck, I've seen lawn furniture and BBQ's zooming past my place here in Ladner today Shocked
DocMagoo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Enough Rain Already! Reply with quote

Half-Canadian wrote:
scruffster wrote:

Heck, I've seen lawn furniture and BBQ's zooming past my place here in Ladner today Shocked

Time for MovingCache.com to make a resurgence Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Enough Rain Already! Reply with quote

So... who owns the url?
DocMagoo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Enough Rain Already! Reply with quote

landsharkz wrote:
So... who owns the url?

Not entirely sure if it was renewed. Confused

Well, I've had enough of the rain. The cache I went out to search for today had streams and creeks running down the hillside....turned the place into gumbo. The Chilliwack River still looks pretty high.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Enough Rain Already! Reply with quote

We've been told by a reliable authority that the military is preparing to deal with flooding this spring in Pitt Meadows, Chilliwack and other low lying areas in the Fraser Valley.
Our source is also a geocacher who suggested we post a note here and suggest that people temporarily remove and disable vulnerable caches before the flooding starts Shocked .
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Fraser Valley
Page 1 of 1