CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» Regional —» Fraser Valley —» Assault on the Rock
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Molly's Reach
Molly's Reach:  [?] . This historic diner, featured for 19 years on CBC's famous TV show, "The Beachcombers", is a cultural mainstay for many Canadians. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» Regional —» Fraser Valley —» Assault on the Rock
toplefttopfilltopright
Assault on the Rock

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Fraser Valley

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Love Bugs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Assault on the Rock Reply with quote

Ok so this has been posted on the Wack Area board. We are planning a mini cache blitz on White Rock on Sunday October 15th. I have started to complile a list of White Rock caches, here is the bookmark:

www.geocaching.com/boo...565f6beede

Most of these caches are traditionals with on multi. I am planning on starting at the Peach Arch and working my way North West to end up in Cresent Beach area for fish and chips and a brew around dinner time. As of today there are 57 caches listed. All caches are south west of the 99hwy. Alot of caches in a small area. Could be a fun day. Come on out and join us for a day of caching and fun.

Love Bugs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Assault on the Rock Reply with quote

I'm going to do what I can to join in on the fun...now just gotta figure out how to sneak out of the house....do you think anyone will notice if I'm missing? Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Assault on the Rock Reply with quote

Wow, this looks like a lot of fun in and an area we've never cached before! The date looks very familiar...why is it that everything exciting always happens on the same day? If we start at 6am could we be done in time, or is this the alibi for folks who don't want to go to the tentatively scheduled EGM Wink ? It's gonna be mine! Mrs. LS Wink

The Canine Landshark wants to know if other caching canines will be there and will there be places that she can she be off leash or is this mostly sidewalk stuff?
koakai

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Assault on the Rock Reply with quote

I know a number of people had their dogs off leash around Doggone Beach though for the life of me I can not remember if it is an actual off leash area. But two of those other spots are off leash, and while a lot of the ones along the strip are sidewalk caches, those birds on the Bay caches are in nice parks as well.

6 of 1, half dozen of the other.

I think I shall book this day off and try to join you all. I have a few of those, but not enough to matter. Smile
Love Bugs

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Assault on the Rock Reply with quote

Hmmm, same day as the EGM. Well I guess anyone attending the EGM could jion us for the firdt part of the day, What time and were does the EGM take place? I know it is on the 15th but no idea of when or were. As for the day of caching I am planning on starting at first light as the first cache will be the Virtual "Peace Arch". I hope to meet anyone else who wants to join in in the parking lot on the West side of the Hwy.. close to GCWVTP the second cache of the day. More to come closer to the date.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Assault on the Rock Reply with quote

I will see if I can make the 15th. We haven't done a mini cache machie in a very long time. I will let you know a little closer to the date, Bug. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Assault on the Rock Reply with quote

A couple of questions:
If new caches have (or will) come up along the route, will they be added to the bookmark list?
Is it achieveable to think we can start at first light and finish in time to get to the EGM or is this route going to fill a day?
Love Bugs

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Assault on the Rock Reply with quote

Well I was planning on starting a daybreak and continueing untill dark. Those that want to go to the meeting can and those who want to continue caching can give thier proxies to those going. If you are coming over could you please bring one of your coins over for me?

I will be going through the bookmark list this coming week and updating it. Is there a special cache you were thinking of?

More info to follow.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Assault on the Rock Reply with quote

Bookmark list updated. All archived caches removed and new caches added. Only traditional caches added. Still only two multi's on the list.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Assault on the Rock Reply with quote

It looks like I will be making the journey to the Mainland as well. Looking forward with doing some caching with the Landsharkz and some of the local cachers. Since I will be driving in from Aldergrove area, what time is "First Light"? Also, what it the first cache? If this has already been posted... Embarassed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Assault on the Rock Reply with quote

Love Bugs wrote:
the first cache will be the Virtual "Peace Arch".

Hey Randwulf,

I think that some of us from the eastern Fraser Valley will be leaving Abbotsford at about 6 am and will probably take 0 (zero) avenue out to the "Rock".... hope this helps a bit.

Oooops...EDIT....forgot to put in "first light" comment....according to the Garmin, sunrise is at 7:27 am.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Assault on the Rock Reply with quote

Fisrt cache of the day will be GCD65A, I am planning to arrive at the cache site at 7:00am since sunrise is at 7:33AM it should be light enough to get started at that time. See you all there. And yes we are leaving Abby at 6:00Am but I think we will need a Shocked Timmy's stop on the way to the first cache.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Assault on the Rock Reply with quote

We're looking for accommodation for the two of us and the Canine LS somewhere near the start (so Mr. LS can get as much shut-eye as humanly possible Laughing ). Any suggestions on motels/hotels or the like near Peace Arch area?
DocMagoo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Assault on the Rock Reply with quote

Love Bugs wrote:
... but I think we will need a Shocked Timmy's stop on the way to the first cache.

mmmm.....coffee.....mmmmmm....almost as good as Bob's Burgers and Brew Laughing (OK, it's a distant second...but at that time of morning it means that I'll be leaving The Wack at 5:30 am. Shocked )

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Assault on the Rock Reply with quote

All rightie then.... If I leave @ 0600 I should to be in WR for 0700 unless I drive like my Dad then 0615.... Yes he has a little pin on his sunvisor the tells him to "Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel" Laughing

It's been 23 years since the last time I had an address in the LFV. Any Timmies along "0" Ave? I might as well travel that route since I will be starting around 10th Ave and 248th St.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Assault on the Rock Reply with quote

landsharkz wrote:
We're looking for accommodation for the two of us and the Canine LS somewhere near the start (so Mr. LS can get as much shut-eye as humanly possible Laughing ). Any suggestions on motels/hotels or the like near Peace Arch area?

I usually stay at Comfort Inns when I travel as they have a liberal "pet friendly" policy. The closest one is in Richmond, but early morning on a weekend you could be to White Rock in 15 minutes. Their rate is $66.60 and there's an extra $10 charge for pets. Comfort Inns also have a pretty good continental breakfast with waffles, fruit, and the usual cereal/toast/pastry offerings. Scooter loves their hard-boiled eggs, too Laughing

www.choicehotels.com/i...1HbMg5g5.2

Edit: I see the link doesn't work completely but you can access the site from there anyway. Be sure to check the "internet users" rate to get the best price.

Everything else I checked in the South Surrey/White Rock area is $100+ and/or doesn't allow pets.
landsharkz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Assault on the Rock Reply with quote

Thanks HC!
We're booked for Fri and Sat and with CAA membership we get free breakfast at the same rate you've quoted.
We are contemplating starting the Attack the Rock cache route at the end and working backwards part way on Saturday to relieve of us of the pressure of finishing it all before the EGM on Sunday. You may see our sticker in log books later on Sunday after we've departed.
Also... with us staying in Richmond can someone recommend a cache dense area that is scenic or unique and easy to navigate around for us to visit on Saturday?
Half-Canadian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Assault on the Rock Reply with quote

landsharkz wrote:
Also... with us staying in Richmond can someone recommend a cache dense area that is scenic or unique and easy to navigate around for us to visit on Saturday?

Staying in Richmond, you've got some great caching right around you.

North and west of the airport, there are a number of scenic caches, including a few dog-friendly beach caches along the river.

In Richmond itself, head to Steveston (#1 Road and Steveston Hwy.). Lots of caching along the waterfront in amongst the fishing fleet and parks.

Head through the Massey Tunnel to Ladner, across the river from Steveston. Plenty of varied caches in a small-town feel. Visit one of my caches (A Bird In The Hand) at Reifel Bird Sanctuary, a world-class stopover for migrating birds. Walk the dyke out to Brunswick Point and beyond for great views of Roberts Bank and Deltaport (World Coins cache will get you out there).

You can also go north east to the New Westminster area for a pretty dense caching environment. Check out the fun series of caches "Monster Hunter".

Or north to the UBC endowment lands, lots of caches around Marine Drive and Pacific Spirit Park.
landsharkz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Assault on the Rock Reply with quote

Pocket queries are done for enough caches to last a week! I also printed off some GVRD park maps so we can find our way to them. It's sometimes hard to find the right park access in a big city Embarassed Laughing .
Chillibusher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Assault on the Rock Reply with quote

I will be riding with the good Doc on Sunday. I put some time in at the mall last weekend so I was able to convince Chilli-ette that I needed some time in the wilderness.....well Whiterock will have to do for that. So.....I'm in. 5:30 am eh! Might need two Timmy's that morning! Looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Assault on the Rock Reply with quote

Glad you can make it Chillibusher Very Happy . See you at 6:00am then we hit Timmy's on the way to the Rock.

I will have my radios with me and I will be on Channels 2 and 21 for anyone who wants to jion up with us. Looking forward to getting out and doing some caching.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Assault on the Rock Reply with quote

When you're doing the 'Birds on the Bay' caches, Downy Snack Time, Heron Surprise as your walking between the 3 caches in the area, you may be lucky enough to see the 'RV' from the move RV. It was parked all summer at the Fort Langley Campsite, and now seems to have a home in South Surrey.

Ok, maybe not 'lucky' but the kids may get a kick out of it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Assault on the Rock Reply with quote

Oh NOOOOOO disaster struck this morning when I went to power up the PDA and it would not turn on. Quick to the cardle with the palm. Once in the cradle it took about 20 minutes before it would power up and what do I find but No cachemate or any of my other info on the Palm. I am now at work and trying to restore everything. I am keeping my fingers crossed in hopes that everything comes back. Just that I have changed computers since originaly installing Cachemate and I have no idea were my registration code is. The only bright side is I know that both Doc and Chilli will have thier PDA's with them to help me out tommorow.

UPDATE

Well about four hours later and digging out the old computer and hooking it up and coaxing it up and running I was able to reteive my Cahemate reg number and get up and running. The PDA seems to working after charging for 6 hours, everything is good , now just to get the rest of my gear togeather for tommorow and I will be fine . Looking forward to caching tommorow with old friends and making some new friends.

Bug out

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Assault on the Rock Reply with quote

Love Bugs wrote:
Oh NOOOOOO disaster struck this morning when I went to power up the PDA and it would not turn on. Quick to the cardle with the palm. Once in the cradle it took about 20 minutes before it would power up and what do I find but No cachemate or any of my other info on the Palm. I am now at work and trying to restore everything. I am keeping my fingers crossed in hopes that everything comes back. Just that I have changed computers since originaly installing Cachemate and I have no idea were my registration code is. The only bright side is I know that both Doc and Chilli will have thier PDA's with them to help me out tommorow.

UPDATE

Well about four hours later and digging out the old computer and hooking it up and coaxing it up and running I was able to reteive my Cahemate reg number and get up and running. The PDA seems to working after charging for 6 hours, everything is good , now just to get the rest of my gear togeather for tommorow and I will be fine . Looking forward to caching tommorow with old friends and making some new friends.

Bug out

For future reference, Bug...
If your PDA has a data card slot, use it. Put a card in there before you shut it off again for an extended period and back up EVERYTHING. It will make a copy of the entire memory onto the card which you can use to rewrite the main memory if the battery goes dead again.

Of course, it wouldn't be a problem if you got out caching a little more often... Laughing Laughing Laughing
landsharkz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Assault on the Rock Reply with quote

Thank you Lovebugs for all your time and energy putting this together for everyone who attended. It was great to put faces to names! It was my first time in WR and even through the liquid sunshine, I could see it is obviously a lovely seaside town. Darned good coffee near Mosaic Footprints too!
On the way home on the ferry we looked toward the islands and saw the sun breaking through the clouds as it was setting....I kid you not :lol:! Mrs. LS.
Love Bugs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Assault on the Rock Reply with quote

Well the Assault on the Rock went off on Sunday October 15. Ten cachers came out to play in the rain. From the Valley there was DOcMagoo, Chillibusher, Koakia nad Love Bugs, from Vancouver Island we had the Landsharkz, Whitebear nad Randwulf and from the Rock itself WR_Crew joined us. By the end of the day only four cachers were left, others had previous appointments, you know things like the BCGA's EGM work and such. So DOcMagoo, Chillibusher, Koakia and Love Bugs finished the day off with finding 34 caches in the ROck area and one in the Abbotsford area. Love Bugs started the day by getting thier 300 find and DocMagoo ended the day with his 700th find.

It was a good day of caching with good people. I always look forward to these days, and look back on them with fond memories. Now if I can just get the wifes car dried out after driving myself and two other cachers around in the rain all day long getting in and out of the car soaking wet and her car has cloth seats. Went out to the car today to go to the store, sat down and Hmmm my butt is wet. No I did not have an accident, the whole car smells a little damp. Oh well I guess that is one of the hazards of grouip caching. I had a grea time yesterday, thanks to everyone who came out.

Bug

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Assault on the Rock Reply with quote

Many thanks Bug for a great day, despite the constant downpour Laughing ! I had a great time. It's always good to get a chance to go caching with others. I still wish you would have let me drive...we didn't drive down at least one one-way street all day Shocked .... and the good thing is that we didn't even come close to caching out the area! Anyone game for another mini-blitz?

Congrats on #300!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Assault on the Rock Reply with quote

Assault on the Rock 2?? I'm game, just give me 6 years to save up to pay the (BC) Ferryman. Laughing Like the Landsharz said, it's always nice to put faces to the names. The problem is I'm great with faces, terrible with names. Oh well, look at the bright side, I'll get to meet you all over again next time I get over. Shocked Confused

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Fraser Valley
Page 1 of 1