CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Anyone in the Sidney, BC area and can help me out?
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Ghost Towns
Ghost Towns:  [?] . Hedely [M | C]  Anyox [M | C]  Bradian [M | C]  Butedale [M | C]  Sandon [M | C]  Cody [M | C]  Kitsault [M | C]  Moyie [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Caching Containers
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Anyone in the Sidney, BC area and can help me out?
toplefttopfilltopright
Anyone in the Sidney, BC area and can help me out?
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shrek198

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Anyone in the Sidney, BC area and can help me out? Reply with quote

Hello Hither&Yon,

shrek198 here. I am posting here because I have an interesting question for you. I just recently started to work on the Washington State Ferries and I am up in Anacortes for the summer working on the Ferry that goes to Sidney. There's a cache that is right next to where the Sidney, BC ferry dock is at. Water, water or... not (GC2RDAT). I would like to get it, but unfortunately my phone does not work in Canada. Here is my question:

If I was able to get permission from my Captain to get off of the ship while we are in dock, is there any way that someone could meet me at the dock and lead me to the cache so I can find it? And hopefully give me a quick ride up to find Plantman_Geocache#0.6 (GC92CB)? Then a ride back to the ferry dock? If so, I could try and create an mini Meet & Greet for it in August so we can get the souvenirs for it. If you could get back to me and let me know. I would greatly appreciate it.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

shrek198
geodug

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone in the Sidney, BC area and can help me out? Reply with quote

This is a pretty dangerous idea that will expose you (and others) to at least 2 Federal charges. A Canadian one could land you in an Alberta jail when it is -40 degrees and the US charge could land you in Guantanamo Bay at +40 degrees.

I am just kidding a little bit but not by much. Crews on vessels enter foreign countries with special visas that do not allow them to spend ANY time in the visited country. The visa is NOT usually stamped or stapled in the individual passports but in a crew document. I know because I have done something similar and someone was almost locked up, fired and who knows what else.
shrek198

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone in the Sidney, BC area and can help me out? Reply with quote

Ah. Ok. Did not know that. Thanks for the heads up. That is weird that it is like that.
geodug

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone in the Sidney, BC area and can help me out? Reply with quote

When it happened to me, I thought it was weird too. The border folks explained to me that if you are a declared tourist there is no problem crossing the border. However, if you are going from the US to Canada or vice versa and you say you want to work it is all different. You need forms, letters, searches and even more. It is really complicated and you have to do it right.

In my case I had a friend who regularly came from Asia as a flight attendant. On her regular cycle she would fly to Vancouver, Seattle and Los Angeles. Of course she had no trouble at any of the borders. She came to Vancouver on a 3 day layover and asked if we could go to Seattle to pick up something she ordered her last time there. Now this sounds pretty normal right?

We went to Seattle for the weekend, got her stuff and then drove back to Canada. Here is where it gets sticky. When we drove to the US there was no problem because her passport does not require a visa to go to the US. We were admitted with no problem.

Coming back to Canada was a different story. The officer took our passports and mentioned there was no visa for her to enter Canada. They explained the US doesn't require one for her but Canada does. She was bewildered until we finally figured out her visa is part of the crew visa the airline had. They said she is supposed to cross borders at all times with her crew and crew documents.

The Canadian border officers were not going to admit her back in Canada even though that is where we started 3 days earlier. They even phoned the US border to discuss sending her back to the US. They changed their mind when the US side said there is a problem but the US had nothing to do with it and they didn't want her. The Canadians thought about it and believed she was a flight attendant just wanting to get back to Vancouver for her flight.

So we were let through with all kinds of warnings and explanations. She was shaking as we drove back and she explained that all flight crew are told that they must show up for their next flight or be fired as the airline documents would all be wrong. The airlines would only forgive if she was unconscious in a hospital or something. I also learned that her type of visa restricted her to go to and from the airport, eat, shop and not much else. She did cut one corner though by hanging out with me.

I hope that helps. I go to the US a lot and as long as I'm a tourist it is simple and easy. One time it was a little bit different and I had to be cleared by Border Control, Homeland Security and the State Dept. That held me up close to 2 hours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1