CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Newbie cachers?
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Peach Arch
Peach Arch:  [?] . Erected in 1921 along the world's longest undefended border, the International Peace Arch is the first monument ever built in dedication of World peace. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Newbie cachers?
topleft topfill topright
LOG-IN DIFFICULTIES
Please be advised that we are currently having problems with some of our users not being able to log into the site. We apologize for this, we are working to address the situation. Thank you for your patience

Thank You
BCGA Executive

toplefttopfilltopright
Newbie cachers?
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Highlander 71

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Newbie cachers? Reply with quote

Some veteran cachers I have spoken to recently have noticed a trend where our cache hides are logged as found and many of the logs are phrased exactly the same way: "That’s one more find for me! Thanks so much for hiding this geocache."

In nearly every instance, if you visit the profile page for the finder you see their account hasn't been verified and the date of their last visit is usually "never". So this makes me curious. Are these logs from new "temporary" cachers, maybe folks trying it out or perhaps taking an introductory course on caching? Or is there some kind of new 365-day challenge cache out there that cannot be logged until you have created a new account and logged a find for every day of the year?? Jester

Oh, and before I sign off, is there any word on Blitz 2014 yet? I know we're deep into elections right now but according to my calendar Blitz is but mere weeks away! Beanie
brilang

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie cachers? Reply with quote

Apparently, the unverified accounts are accounts that were created on a mobile device (iPhone or Android) via the official Geocaching apps. Those users never bothered to click the "verify my account" link in an email sent to them, or have never logged in through the geocaching.com website.

I am highly suspicious when I see several logs with nearly identical text myself. I haven't been out to any of my geocaches where this has occurred to verify the logs yet. Do you think I should?
katcogo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie cachers? Reply with quote

I have noticed that too and think the wording is a bit odd, especially from a large number of people. Perhaps it is a stock log entry for app cachers.

As for the Blitz - keep an eye on your inbox Smile
6NoisyHikers

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie cachers? Reply with quote

The "one more find for me" text is the default line for Groundspeak's official app. Lots of discussion (and annoyance) about that on the GS forum.
Cuddlefish

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie cachers? Reply with quote

That explains it! I just saw one of those logs on one of my Earthcaches. It didn't make sense to me in the context of an Earthcache though. It wasn't from a newbie cacher either, I don't think.

Maybe changing caches to premium member only will stop those sorts of logs. I think we need a log writing 101, and not just for newbies. Shifty
Highlander 71

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie cachers? Reply with quote

I briefly considered trying to create an auto-log for Cuddlefish caches that read "Log paper needs to be replaced" but I was afraid I might get fish-slapped if I did! Jester

Meanwhile, I'm still watching my inbox...

... and nothing's happening. Z-z-z-z!
brilang

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie cachers? Reply with quote

I try to write a decent log for every cache now. Back when I started, I simply copied what I saw others doing. "Nice cache" "TFTC" and so on.

If they don't answer the questions for an Earthcache.... and there's no way to contact them, do you delete the log?
katcogo

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie cachers? Reply with quote

The Earthcache guidelines are very specific - if the questions are not answered or are not satisfactory, the log must be deleted. They want to ensure their program does not get watered down.
Cuddlefish

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie cachers? Reply with quote

Highlander 71 wrote:
I briefly considered trying to create an auto-log for Cuddlefish caches that read "Log paper needs to be replaced" but I was afraid I might get fish-slapped if I did! Jester

Glad to see my hard work is paying off! Beanie
Highlander 71

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie cachers? Reply with quote

I like to believe that cache owners read my log entries so I try to avoid C&P logs as much as possible. This becomes even more important when I am doing a power trail that is peppered with pre-existing caches. Imagine what a CO thinks when their cache that used to get one find per month suddenly gets logged four times a day with only a "TFTC" because it's now just one snowflake in a blizzard.

Having said that, however, often times when I find a cache that belongs to a cacher that I know is habitually minimalistic in their logs, I will mimic their behaviour with an equally terse log. Beanie

And my inbox problem has been solved, thank you very much! Things work so much better when you actually take the time to read your own profile settings! Smack
Cuddlefish

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie cachers? Reply with quote

Just changed my caches to premium member only. My Earthcaches are still open as I have a failsafe there from newbies as they must email me answers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1