CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» Regional —» Lower Mainland / Coast Mountains —» we had fun today :)
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Swans of Lonesome Lake
Swans of Lonesome Lake:  [?] . You might remember a book called "The Caruso of Lonesome Lake" where Ralph Edwards saved the BC Trumpeter swans from extinction from the 1920's to the 1950s. It was almost required reading for our generation in elementry school in the 70s. Edwards cabin burnt down in the BC fires of 2004. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Landsharkz Coins and Geocaching Gear
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» Regional —» Lower Mainland / Coast Mountains —» we had fun today :)
topleft topfill topright
LOG-IN DIFFICULTIES
Please be advised that we are currently having problems with some of our users not being able to log into the site. We apologize for this, we are working to address the situation. Thank you for your patience

Thank You
BCGA Executive

toplefttopfilltopright
we had fun today :)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mac

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: we had fun today :) Reply with quote

Out and about with Suepy, and Jenny the wonder dog geocaching! We tried for 8, and found 5. Not so bad I think for self-taught geo people.

Pretty much all in Poco, off of Shaugnessy. Really nice trails in there! we had no idea Smile

One was up a hill a little bit. Well, way up a hill, and for someone over 60 it might have been a bit foolish to attempt, but I did anyway LOL no joy though. I didn't read the hint till I got back down, and I realized that I was most likely within a few feet of the cache. Another day for that one Smile

Not nearly so much garbage in that forest as we see in other places. We met one young family who were picking up bottles and cans, it was their son's allowance money.

A few questions for those who know: what doe's "dipping" your gps mean? I can't figure that one out.

And doe's a "regular" gps receiver have a more powerful engine than an iphone? I like how I can see things using the iphone, but sometimes it's way off, and not just when underneath powerlines. Some places today I just couldn't get a signal.

So off to starbucks, and now home in front of the fire Smile

We have never yet me any other cacher's out there. I don't know why as we do watch others walking behaviour and stuff like that to see if there's someone else we could say hi to. Lot's of folks, no one admitting to be part of the clan LOL
Chitterchatter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: we had fun today :) Reply with quote

Hi Mac!

Sounds like fun you guys had! I went out to Minnekhada Park recently & its beautiful there! I still have to go back & get more geocaches there.

I am new to geocaching, but loving it & am totally hooked!

If you want to add me at geocaching.com go for it - i am Chitterchatter there ! or if you guys are ever looking for others to go with - send me a mail - if I dont have previous plans or other commitments I would love to go caching with others from the lower mainland! I live in North Delta, but have a car & can get around.

Sorry, i dont know the answers to your gps questions. I too am thinking of getting an actual gps instead of always using my cell, so well I too am learning it all!
loungelions

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: we had fun today :) Reply with quote

Hello to both of you!

In answer to your questions....a "real" handheld GPS receiver does seem to be more accurate than an Iphone. I think it is because a GPS receiver actually uses the satellites to find a position whereas the Iphone uses cell phone tower positions to triangulate and estimate a position. I expect that if you have poor cell reception or only one cell phone tower within reach that your coordinates would not be very accurate. (Having never used a phone for geocaching, that would be my guess).

I think that people are "dipping" geocoins, not GPSrs. When you dip a geocoin or travelbug, you are logging it in and then back out of the cache without actually leaving it in the cache so that you can mark its mileage or position but still are keeping the geocoin or TB in your possession so that you can carry it further to its destination. That way the owner will have an idea of its travels. Or if you are the owner, sometimes people do that just to keep track of their own mileage spent travelling to caches. Unfortunately, in recent years, it has become very common for geocoins and travelbugs to go missing due to muggles finding them or geocachers keeping them without logging them out. That means the owner has no idea what happened to them.

I hope that is an understandable explanation of what you were wondering about.
brilang
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: we had fun today :) Reply with quote

loungelions wrote:
In answer to your questions....a "real" handheld GPS receiver does seem to be more accurate than an Iphone. I think it is because a GPS receiver actually uses the satellites to find a position whereas the Iphone uses cell phone tower positions to triangulate and estimate a position. I expect that if you have poor cell reception or only one cell phone tower within reach that your coordinates would not be very accurate.

I see this misconception fairly regularly. The iPhone 4S and later use an A-GPS chip, short for Assisted-GPS. This means that the iPhone starts out via triangulation from the nearest cell phone tower(s). If you're only within range of one tower, you get worse initial results. While that triangulation is being calculated, your iPhone is simultaneously receiving GPS and GLONASS signals. Within a minute, you typically have 5m accuracy. Also, you can use your iPhone for Geocaching when you're not within range of any cell phone towers.

If you exit the Geocaching App, the iPhone stops tracking your location within a few seconds. When you fire up the app again, it has to re-establish where your location again.

From what I can tell from using my iPhone for most of my ~1200 finds in the past year, the iPhone uses a predictive algorithm based on your movement speed to predict where you are. When you stop moving it doesn't realize you've stopped right away and can take a bit for it to settle down. This has led me on many iPhone indued wild goose chases. It's worse in deep forest cover and/or ravines, just the same as a hand held GPSr.
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: we had fun today :) Reply with quote

I found this interesting short study awhile ago on the accuracy of an iPhone vs that of a dedicated GPS. Interesting read for those interested. https://academics.skidmore.edu/blogs/onlocation/2012/03/smartphone_accuracy/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: we had fun today :) Reply with quote

Thank you all for the replies! Smile one of these days I will get a dedicated gps - not right away. Holy cow, this time of year is expensive!! water taxes, business taxes, donating to my kids in school, WCB fees yada yada LOL it never ends!

Gonna buy a lotto ticket this week - it's my turn! the guy on tv said so hehehe.

Well we went out again a week back, this time we drove into Vancouver (from Coq) started at Mountain Equipment co-op and went from there. We attempted 13, found 10.

One really frustrated us was "false creek industrial flats" we looked for over 1/2 hr, back and forth, across the street, up in the trees/poles, down the alley - underneath the fake concrete siding of the building - nada! it's probably there, but I guess it's not in the cards for us. We will try again, probably when it's not so darned cold!

We met a geocacher in denial LOL at the cache "relax-take it easy" again with the long search! wow, we really worked hard on that one. While we were looking a person showed up and pretended not to look- um is that a gps in your hand or are you just happy to see me? LOL he said "NO" oook then..

didn't find that one either! arg! sure is a beautiful spot though.

We did actually meet some other geocachers though! at "Rocky Railway" we were furtively searching (grand central for muggles)(and dog poo) when we spotted 4 people pretending to not look at us. Busted! LOL so we went over and said hi to them :):)

Had lunch on Granville island, man it's cold sitting by the water, but lunch was great, and toasty warm.

The last one of the day was "the three chocolates" what a neat little park!! we spent about 20 minutes there, but no joy. We were losing the daylight, and then a "person" with a huge freakin pitt bull came by and that dog was lunging at us Sad We bailed out, do not need the drama. Can you say Open Carry? it'll never happen in Canada but wow.

Hit starbucks, then drove home in the snow! pizza for dinner Smile

Looking at a map of geo-caches, wow the number has exploded in the last few years.

Strong possibility that I'm going to ditch my iphone4 and get a galaxy5. Depends upon how much Rogers begs me for my "continued" business.

Later!!

Laurie (MrMac204)
Sue (Suepy)
Jenny (Jenny the wonder dog)
6NoisyHikers

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: we had fun today :) Reply with quote

Just saw this message from January - that was our cache you DNFed Very Happy

If you're ever back in the area, let us know and we'll come and stare at you while you try again. Actually, we just did a check on the container because it had migrated from its hidey hole. Another cacher found it out in the open (this has happened a few times, not sure what kind of critter is pushing it out) and kindly covered it with so much camo that it took me twenty minutes to find it! I should get a smiley for that!
Mac

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: we had fun today :) Reply with quote

Thanks Noisyhikers, next time we actually have a day off and are in the city we will definitely attempt this one again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Lower Mainland / Coast Mountains
Page 1 of 1