CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Signing logs...Actual Physical Contact
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Glass House
Glass House:  [?] . After 35 years in the Funeral business, David H. Brown built his retirement home with 500,000 embalming fluid bottles. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Caching Containers
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Signing logs...Actual Physical Contact
toplefttopfilltopright
Signing logs...Actual Physical Contact
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marmi_and_tas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Signing logs...Actual Physical Contact Reply with quote

Hi all,

The recent trend of 'I've logged this cache by taking a picture rather than actually signing the log' is disturbing to me. It feels like a big disconnect from the hobby/sport. No emotional involvement is a very sad trend. Anyone who says on their logs that they did not actually sign the log on our caches...poof...your find is deleted. And, as we maintain and visit our caches often, no actual signature means a deleted find...so be advised.
How hard is it to actually sign a log book? Yes, some nanos require a bit of work but that's the challenge and the fun. You didn't bring a pen? You are kidding, right?
Sign the log book and have fun.
marmi
CAMOKELLY

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Signing logs...Actual Physical Contact Reply with quote

marmi_and_tas wrote:
Hi all,

The recent trend of 'I've logged this cache by taking a picture rather than actually signing the log' is disturbing to me. It feels like a big disconnect from the hobby/sport. No emotional involvement is a very sad trend. Anyone who says on their logs that they did not actually sign the log on our caches...poof...your find is deleted. And, as we maintain and visit our caches often, no actual signature means a deleted find...so be advised.
How hard is it to actually sign a log book? Yes, some nanos require a bit of work but that's the challenge and the fun. You didn't bring a pen? You are kidding, right?
Sign the log book and have fun.
marmi

Killjoy Sheesh!
marmi_and_tas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Signing logs...Actual Physical Contact Reply with quote

Not a Killjoy CAMOKELLY but an actualist. Just sign the log.
Highlander 71

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Signing logs...Actual Physical Contact Reply with quote

I'm not someone who deletes logs often, but I always wonder when I see stuff like "no pen so I didn't sign the log" and "took picture instead of signing log" in my "found" emails. I have a difficult time understanding how these people function in their day-to-day lives. Do they not own one single solitary pen (or pencil) that they could bring along with them when caching? Do they not read the cache page and see what size a cache is? They are carrying a GPS or a smartphone, how much of a chore is carrying a pen?

And all you photo-loggers, what's your deal? Are you paranoid that germs and bacteria from inside the cache are getting on your hands? That's what gloves are for! Do you dislike that damp musty paper smell? They have these things called wet wipes that not only disinfect your fingers but make them smell pretty, too! And how do I know you don't just delete the photo when you get home?

Before you signed up for this game you must have read the rules, right? Here are a couple of excerpts from geocaching.com:
Quote::
What are the rules of geocaching?

1. If you take something from the geocache (or "cache"), leave something of equal or greater value.
2. Write about your find in the cache logbook.
3. Log your experience at www.geocaching.com.

Quote::
When you find the cache, sign the logbook and return it to the cache.

And I always appreciate it when a cacher takes time to write more than "Quick find" or "TFTC" when they log their find. I get to share in their excitement, I get feedback on the status of my cache and I am also usually brought up to date on its contents. We are all playing this game together so let's treat the caches we find with the same care and respect we give the caches we hide.
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Signing logs...Actual Physical Contact Reply with quote

As long as it's not happening for the majority of caches someone finds, I don't see a problem with it. I've forgotten my pen in the past and have had to take a picture of the log more than once.
It happens, and I don't see it as too big of an issue.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Signing logs...Actual Physical Contact Reply with quote

I must admit that this irks me too. Unless there are extenuating circumstances and the CO has given you permission to log the find (like maybe a rattlesnake sitting on top of the cache) I would say the log needs to be signed whether with a pen, a burnt match, a bit of dirt and a stick, etc.

I have seen a few logs recently that claim a find saying "saw it, too many people around to grab it". That is NOT a find IMHO.
The-A-Team

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Signing logs...Actual Physical Contact Reply with quote

katcogo wrote:
I have seen a few logs recently that claim a find saying "saw it, too many people around to grab it". That is NOT a find IMHO.
I absolutely agree. If you haven't retrieved AND opened the container, your find isn't complete. I haven't seen any such logs on my caches, but if I did, they'd get a speedy deletion and an email enlightening them as to how geocaching works.

As for signing the log, there are always exceptions. Sometimes the log is in such poor condition that signing the log is impossible, and a photo in that case would be acceptable to me. However, using a photo instead of signing a perfectly-usable log isn't acceptable. There are really only 3 core steps to geocaching:
1. Find the cache
2. Sign the log (and write about your experience if possible and so inclined)
3. Return the cache to the place you found it
Unfortunately, some people seem to be too lazy to complete all three of these steps.

I'm curious about these photo loggers. I haven't seen any on southern Vancouver Island, so I don't know who they are. Are they new cachers that don't know how things are supposed to work? Are they older power cachers that are trying to pack in as many finds as possible at any cost? Are they just average cachers that have gotten lazy?
marmi_and_tas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: Signing logs...Actual Physical Contact Reply with quote

'Here's the photo...sorry, didn't have a pen...too many muggles, couldn't sign the the log'. Lame excuses for sure and bottom line...such finds will be deleted. End of story.
If all the COs didn't put out caches for folks to find there would be no hobby/sport/game, right?
Just sign the log book and then sleep soundly.
Raygar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Signing logs...Actual Physical Contact Reply with quote

It happens, more cachers mean more people with a casual attitude towards protocols and regulations. Sad but true.
Ive never deleted a log though i have several photo only's and one or two " I was with cacher who made the effort to climb to the cache but I stayed below and still claimed a smiley etc"
Not going to worry about other peoples lack of this or that, except to put large reminders on some cache pages, please trade fairly please rehide as found etc, with mixed results.
Not that anyone ever finds my caches lol.
The Stainless Steel Rat~
vanislelady

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Signing logs...Actual Physical Contact Reply with quote

I don't check log books to see if someone has been there as I feel it's a little too overboard...I don't have any urban caches so muggles are not generally a problem with my hides. I insist that they fulfill the requirements to log my earthcaches though..I have had a few armchair loggers try it..Once, I had a cacher who could not find one of my caches log a find and say that although he couldn't find the physical cache he did find a piece of flagging tape nearby so signed that...need I tell you what I did?
marmi_and_tas

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Signing logs...Actual Physical Contact Reply with quote

Great replies...thanks everyone!
The Sport/Hobby of Caching is definitely changing with all the new Technology that makes finding and logging finds easier. 'Easier' may not be the best thing though.
Did anyone read today's Vancouver Sun article titled 'Digital Dis-Ease: Is Technology Hurting You?
Love the FoMO: Fear of Missing Out! LOL!!
Blackberry Thumb and IPad Hand are also somewhat worrisome. That's got to hurt!
How about FTCI? Failure to Cache Ingage. Or...WFOPBUCI: We forgot our pen but used charcoal instead.
Or...BWIAP?: Blood works in a pinch.
Highlander had it all figured out...take out a bank loan people and buy some pens. Space pens are a very good investment!

Seal the deal...sign the log!
Raygar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Signing logs...Actual Physical Contact Reply with quote

for a good while I had a small gel tip pen taped to my gps lanyard but even that didnt last, and I dont always have my cache kit, when i do I will leave little pencils in caches etc.
Somehow I ended up looking yesterday at a cache in Tijuana lol and every log was a new throw down~ Aye Carumba.
brilang

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Signing logs...Actual Physical Contact Reply with quote

I have logged a handful of caches via photo when:
a) The log was un-signable due to paper being mush;
b) I couldn't get the log out of the container with the tools on hand (this happened when I found a nano where the log had been smashed down into the bottom of the container and even my geo-tweezers couldn't get it out);
c) When I got to a cache and realized that my supply of pens & pencils had all vanished (again). I try to keep my geocaching pack stocked, but they tend to migrate. Sometimes I leave them behind in caches.

Yesterday I set out on a 6.5km hike with two pencils in my pocket. By the time I finished, one was missing. It happens. The above circumstances are the only time I would consider a photo log acceptable.

I make a point of replacing mushy logs whenever possible.

I do my best to always have the right tools to hand, but I'm not perfect.
marmi_and_tas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Signing logs...Actual Physical Contact Reply with quote

It is very satisfying to see agreeing posts from both long time cachers as well as those recently joined. Some of us try to keep the true caching spirit alive while others just seem to be totally annoying.
Cache safely and have fun!
gearhedd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Signing logs...Actual Physical Contact Reply with quote

Log is WET is a good reason, but then maybe I should delete your log because you can't spare any paper....lol
Searcher_BC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Signing logs...Actual Physical Contact Reply with quote

Too many muggles around - I come back another day to sign the log.
Forget my pen/pencil - I come back another day to log the find.
The log is mush - if it's in an area that's local to me, log the condition in the Geocaching cache listing and come back another day to log the find. If it's not local to me, I'll photograph the open container and post the find that way.

When I have to go back to sign the log, I log the find for that day, not the day I couldn't complete the find.

I went the photo route on 1 Jan in Queen's Park, New Westminster for a mush log in a bison tube.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1