CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» Regional —» Lower Mainland / Coast Mountains —» Shameless rip-off
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Mount Sheba
Mount Sheba:  [?] . Reminiscent of the temples of Egypt and Persia, the exotic landscape beckoned early pioneers to name the peak Mount Sheba. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Caching Containers
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» Regional —» Lower Mainland / Coast Mountains —» Shameless rip-off
toplefttopfilltopright
Shameless rip-off

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Highlander 71

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Shameless rip-off Reply with quote

I will freely admit right up front that I have shamelessly stolen this idea from Sir Scruffy (yes, I have personally knighted the little mustelid). Jester

Now, and for a limited time only, cachers can proudly display a new souvenir I have just created. My only request is that you first meet the requirements to qualify for the download (see below).

All I ask is that you have found and logged the entire Old Buck Trail series before you download and display this souvenir. Consider this as a "thank you" from mc_kramer and me for your having taken the time to find our caches. I hope you enjoy the souvenir as much as you enjoyed the series!

Frederick Seymour
(in this case, aka Highlander 71 and mc_kramer)
Cuddlefish

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Shameless rip-off Reply with quote

This is AWESOME! PEARLWIND told me about this and we must go back and clear up our DNF on the trail to qualify.

Thankyou highlander_71 for the neat ripped off idea! Jester
scruffster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Shameless rip-off Reply with quote

Oh my. I thought the souvenir idea was a big bomb. Perhaps I should actually post them on the final pages on the two existing series. **lol**

Imitation is the highest form of flattery. Thanks for the complement, Highlander 71. I took a look and noticed that you proudly post the SSIM souvenir on your page. Are you the only one? I don't know. haven't you found Aurora Island too, Highlander???

After the trauma I put people through I thought a souvenir would be the least I could do as a thank you. Perhaps I should design an "I survived Kerplunk Cache" souvenir. **lol** I know a few people who are still traumatized over that one.

Maybe personal souvenirs might become popular. Way cool.

Souvenir size...

For those who have found the SSIM series and would like a souvenir here it is....

I think I still have to go back to find one last cache before I can claim the Old Buck Trail.
Highlander 71

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Shameless rip-off Reply with quote

Well, I'm pretty sure I have located Aurora Island, I just haven't visited it yet to sign the log! When that glorious day arrives you can be sure I will proudly display that souvenir on my profile page.

I always enjoy going after Scruffster caches. They entertain and inspire me. Thanks!
Highlander 71

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Shameless rip-off Reply with quote

With the Highlander team spending a lot of time in maintenance mode through the summer, the lead design gnome in the geocaching workshop had some free time on his hands so he created a new souvenir. Here's the result of his labours:

So, if you have successfully found and logged all seven caches in the HCC series you are eligible for a free download of this lovely souvenir to proudly display on your profile page.

I hope you enjoyed the Cache Chronicles. Placing the caches took me on trails I hadn't hiked before so it was fun discovering them for you and with you!

BTW Scruff has contacted Groundspeak to see if we can add personal souvenirs like this one to their roster of official ones. That means you would get new personal souvenirs automatically instead of having to download them. Let's hope for good news!
Highlander 71

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Shameless rip-off Reply with quote

Sorry, I just found out the image link above might be out of date. Try this one instead:
JeepGurl1970

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Shameless rip-off Reply with quote

Scruffster/H71: can one of you please post the "personal souvenirs for dummies" instructions for how I can put these on my profile. I loved the Highlander Cache Chronicles series and would like to post that one right away and the others eventually. Only 2 SSIM finds to go, only 1 SQ find to go, and only 18 (hehe) Old Buck finds to go!

Thanks! Your souvenirs are awesome. Cool
Highlander 71

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: Shameless rip-off Reply with quote

Assuming you aren't using a Mac I think the simplest way to get either of my souvenirs is to right-click on the image in the message and choose "Save image as..." from the menu. And unless you are really organized it would likely be easiest to just save it to your desktop, giving it a file name you will remember (maybe H71 souvenir?). Two Cents

Once the souvenir is on your hard drive it should be pretty straightforward how to upload it to your profile page. After you log into geocaching.com you need to go to your Account Details and scroll down to find Your Avatar and Profile Photo. Click on Change under My Profile Photo and you will see a link that says upload a new image. Browse to where you saved the souvenir, click on it, then click on Upload.

Glad you enjoyed the HCC. Writing the stories was a lot of fun partly because I hid a few bits of trivia in them. I also had a blast discovering new trails. Only the final and Zhang were in places I had been before.
scruffster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Shameless rip-off Reply with quote

I never heard back from Groudspeak. I suspect that they are not interested in selling individual souvenir space.

I thought they'd jump on the opportunity. After all, it cold be a big money maker. Selling a tiny bit of space and some minimal programming seems like a cache cow to me.

Oh well, I may try contacting them again some other time. Anyone else who is willing to give it a try please feel free to do so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Lower Mainland / Coast Mountains
Page 1 of 1