CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Blitz 2013
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Steller's Jay
Steller's Jay:  [?] . The Steller's Jay is British Columbia's Provincial Bird and the inspiration for the 2008 BCGA geocoin. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Caching Containers
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Blitz 2013
topleft topfill topright
LOG-IN DIFFICULTIES
Please be advised that we are currently having problems with some of our users not being able to log into the site. We apologize for this, we are working to address the situation. Thank you for your patience

Thank You
BCGA Executive

toplefttopfilltopright
Blitz 2013
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
soobaxM

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Blitz 2013 Reply with quote

Pretty quiet about the upcoming Blitz in here?
In previous years the new caches came out Saturday morning, looks like it is going to after 12:0 0 this year? Is that right? Beanie
Cuddlefish

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2013 Reply with quote

bcgeocaching.com/index...nt&pid=106

Yep!
katcogo

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2013 Reply with quote

The publication time depends on the reviewers. The Blitz caches will not be published BEFORE midnight.

I have heard rumours about some wonderfully innovative caches here in the Lower Mainland, how about in the rest of the province?

GET YOUR BLITZ ON!
Magicman65

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2013 Reply with quote

I put one out although I can't win Sad

Team_field

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2013 Reply with quote

doesn't seem like there is the interest this year. Here in the interior there hasn't been a word about it even though have asked our local cachers if anyone is working on a blitz cache. Guess we will see what tomorrow brings.
soobaxM

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2013 Reply with quote

Is there really only 26 caches this year? (well one more of mine will be out shortly I hope making it 27).
Last year there was 221? Very strange!
Treasure
Magicman65

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2013 Reply with quote

I counted 42 on geocaching.com, I don't think they are all bookmarked as of yet is all. You are looking at the bookmark page. Look at the newest caches in BC. and people still have til July2nd to get them out. Its not just a one day thing. lol

magicman65.blogspot.ca/

katcogo

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2013 Reply with quote

Actually there are currently 60 Blitz caches published with more on the way, sorry we are running a little behind in our bookmarking due to a wee road trip to Salmo. Should be updated soon.

Keep em coming! We love how people are "going BIG" with their caches!
soobaxM

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2013 Reply with quote

Oh I guess I could of done a search rather than just look at the bookmark! And to whoever picked the theme - BIG... great idea! Trophy
Cuddlefish

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2013 Reply with quote

According to the voting, a "series" is one or more caches linked by a common theme...

So can there be a 2 cache series?

(Asking for a friend)
katcogo

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2013 Reply with quote

Well, I've heard there is a shortage of space to place caches, a series does not necessarily need to be in a specific geographic location. Your friend could spread it around.
Highlander 71

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2013 Reply with quote

Just to add my Two Cents to the discussion, I have "a couple" of Blitz caches in progress but much to my chagrin work, weather, and transportation issues have conspired against me. Had the window for placement been smaller I suppose I could have rushed to get them ready for submission by the 25th, but I'm sure I wouldn't have been happy with their quality. Yuck

So I guess what I'm suggesting is that Tony Bennett might be right - "The Best is Yet to Come". Jester
The-A-Team

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2013 Reply with quote

I also have one planned that isn't quite ready for primetime yet. It's taking longer to prepare the container than I originally expected. It should be ready within about the next week or so.
katcogo

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2013 Reply with quote

Oh the anticipation is mounting! I'm sure glad that we gave people plenty of time to create the perfect Blitz caches for us to find!
HuggyFamily

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2013 Reply with quote

I'm also working on a theme cache for the 2013 Blitz. I am having problems finding a vehicle large enough to transport the cache to its hiding spot. Does anyone have access to a transporter that would move something about the same size as the space shuttle Atlantis?

Mr. Huggy.
Fonty Family

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2013 Reply with quote

I have a big series coming out for the blitz, but as a director, I cannot win a prize.

katcogo

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2013 Reply with quote

Quote::
I'm also working on a theme cache for the 2013 Blitz. I am having problems finding a vehicle large enough to transport the cache to its hiding spot. Does anyone have access to a transporter that would move something about the same size as the space shuttle Atlantis?

Mr. Huggy.

I am sure Pearlwind will lend you his fully operational aircraft carrier sized cache to help transport. . . perhaps his rocket launcher can put it in place, unless of course you work together and place them 161M apart. Now THAT would be a power trail.
scruffster

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2013 Reply with quote

Scruffy's Blitz caches may be a bit late but be prepared to be awed. Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2013 Reply with quote

I'll be trying to get a Blitz cache out this year, though I'm going to be quite busy with Grad and other festivities.
Hopefully some other Nanaimoites get some caches out too!

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2013 Reply with quote

Remember, you have until midnight July 2nd to have your Blitz cache published.

That means you need to plan to submit it well enough in advance to make sure the reviewers have the time needed to publish. Keep in mind that BC is now short a reviewer.

GET YOUR BLITZ ON!
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2013 Reply with quote

Well....
About 10 minutes after posting that last message, guess what happens to pop up?! A new blitz cache! Very Happy
And I got a FTF on it to boot!
Woohoo! Mr. Green

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2013 Reply with quote

I have two Blitz caches out so far -- one of which has typical Scruffyesque shameless self promotion. Lets see if I can get the series out before the deadline. Hmmmmm. I'd really have to rush it and of course get lots of help from a computer geek.
The_Pollywog

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2013 Reply with quote

Why is it always so awkward to find info on this web site? Should the Blitz link on the top of the page provide links to all the info about the blitz and not just a drop down list of caches? Are there rules posted somewhere?
MrGigabyte

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2013 Reply with quote

While you are at it, why do twitter posts to new caches (events) link to the bcga site and not directly to the cache page? If you are not logged in on your mobile device, it is useless.
katcogo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2013 Reply with quote

Quote::
While you are at it, why do twitter posts to new caches (events) link to the bcga site and not directly to the cache page? If you are not logged in on your mobile device, it is useless.

What comes up on the twitter feed is the RSS that draws from the BCGA calendar listing - that has the link to the cache page.
KnL_Caching

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2013 Reply with quote

Both good suggestions - I will work on those.

For now the Blitz info is at:

Blitz Information

Blitz Instructions

Kevin MacDonald
BCGA Director At Large
MrGigabyte

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2013 Reply with quote

Perfect, it will take someone 5 seconds to fix it then so that it is actually useful.
Raygar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Blitz 2013 Reply with quote

While you are at it, Thank You to all who make the blitz happen every year~
always fun to participate and always fun to see the caches, I hope there will be lots more
TSSR~
The-A-Team

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2013 Reply with quote

I finally finished up my container and just put it out. It should be published any time now. Mr. Green
Magicman65

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2013 Reply with quote

The-A-Team wrote:
I finally finished up my container and just put it out. It should be published any time now. Mr. Green
The A-Team's cache came out this morning, I was third to find as my little guy decided to sleep in for a change...DOH!!!

The-A-Team

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2013 Reply with quote

How often is the BCGA database updated? My cache came out over a day ago now, and there have been 9 cachers that have found it, but none of them have been able to vote for it because it has yet to be added to the list.

This is the one part of the Blitz process that I've always thought just doesn't seem to work well. The voting seems to depend on someone manually adding caches to a list, and if they don't do it very quickly, many cachers may find a cache, try to vote, find they can't, and just give up and never try again.

Please note that I'm not complaining. I value and respect everything the BCGA does for us all. I'm just pointing out what I see as a shortfall, and I have some ideas for ways to improve the system if anyone at the BCGA wants to contact me.
katcogo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2013 Reply with quote

Your cache is now in the voting system. Yes, the caches do need to be added manually by people who have jobs and other things going on in their lives. It can take 24 hours to get a cache into the voting system as Groundspeak changed the ability for us to search for new caches every 30 min, the caches show up on our system after an overnight PQ.

A Blitz cache needs to be reviewed to make sure it is indeed a Blitz cache and is set up properly with the location and voting button before it is added

We appreciate both your frustration and understanding. I will contact you for your ideas to improve the system.
JeepGurl1970

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2013 Reply with quote

Can someone please add GC4BEG5 B13: Angry Puppy to the voting list when they get a chance. Thanks! Dog
KnL_Caching

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2013 Reply with quote

Not sure why that one didn't show up. I will fix it now - thank you for the heads up.
KnL_Caching

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2013 Reply with quote

GC4BEG5 B13: Angry Puppy is there now. Sorry for the Delay!
The_Pollywog

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2013 Reply with quote

No results?
katcogo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Blitz 2013 Reply with quote

Full results will be posted once as soon as possible - had a small technology problem which should be solved so will post as soon as I am able.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1