CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Geocaching over distance
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Georgina Point Lighthouse
Georgina Point Lighthouse:  [?] . Now a heritage site, the Georgina Point Lighthouse on Mayne Island has been lighting the way through Active Pass since 1885. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Landsharkz Coins and Geocaching Gear
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Geocaching over distance
toplefttopfilltopright
Geocaching over distance
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dr_carmster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Geocaching over distance Reply with quote

I'm a design prof at Simon Fraser University and my grad students and I are playing around with 'geocaching over distance' where you cache with a friend using a mobile skype connection. Anybody interested to try it out and in the Surrey area?
dr_carmster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Geocaching over distance Reply with quote

... For those who try it, we are entering people's names into a draw for a $200 gift card (likely 1/20 odds).
The-A-Team

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching over distance Reply with quote

There was a discussion in the Geocaching.com forums a little while back where someone proposed something like this. From what I remember, the general consensus of those participating in the discussion was that the remote person shouldn't be claiming a find, because they really aren't there. Some words that were thrown out were "cheesy" and "lame". Personally, I wouldn't claim a find unless I was there in person, physically.
dr_carmster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching over distance Reply with quote

If anybody is interested in trying this out, let me know. We are still doing testing of it.
dora_mor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching over distance Reply with quote

My husband and I tried this a few weeks ago and it was a hoot. Definitely the geekiest thing we've done to date, ('cept maybe a web-cam cache) and we got a few caches out of it to boot! It was quick, painless, appealed to my sense of nerdiness, and it looks like I'm going to win the $200 prize by default. Jester
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1